There are 229 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
Gore vs. Craig in their primes, who you got

Craig was more versatile, and explosive, so if I was building a team, based on the kind of offense I like to see....Craig. Gore is a great power back, but very one dimensional, and I can't remember him going over 50 yards on a single run, don't get me wrong, I like Frank Gore, and even though he is the all time leading rusher for the franchise, I don't know if he makes my top ten.
I loved Craig, and he is in my top ten as well...but I go with Gore. I think people really discount how much tallent was around Craig. When the offense is a who's who of all time greats, nobody is stacking the box to slow you down nor are they committing anyone with pass coverage skills to the RB positions.
Gore has some of the best vision, anticipation, and quick cuts that I have ever seen a RB employ.

The vision is truly astounding. He reads blocks better than anybody in the league.
  1. Great question! Here is my list of all time top ten 49ers (which I define as either enshrined in Canton as niners or who spent the majority of their careers here):

1. 1) Rice
  2. 2) Montana
  3. 3) Lott
  4. 4) Tittle
  5. 5) Perry
  6. 6) Nomellini
  7. 7) McElhenny
  8. 8) Young
  9. 9) Wilcox
  10. 10) Dean

This list still excludes names like Brodie, Johnson, St. Clair and Haley, all of whom I would say based on the body of their career are clearly above Gore at this point in his career. Then there's still the next group, names like Craig, B. Young, Bosley, Hicks, Taylor, Jones, Willis and Owens. I think arguments can be made about where Gore should sit within this group.

So, I'd say, at this point, Gore is not top 10, but is probably top 20, with more career left to play out. Pretty freaking awesome, if you ask me.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

Craig was more versatile, and explosive, so if I was building a team, based on the kind of offense I like to see....Craig. Gore is a great power back, but very one dimensional, and I can't remember him going over 50 yards on a single run, don't get me wrong, I like Frank Gore, and even though he is the all time leading rusher for the franchise, I don't know if he makes my top ten.
I loved Craig, and he is in my top ten as well...but I go with Gore. I think people really discount how much tallent was around Craig. When the offense is a who's who of all time greats, nobody is stacking the box to slow you down nor are they committing anyone with pass coverage skills to the RB positions.

Fair enough, they are two very different players, I don't think Gore would have fit in well back in the Walsh era, not a strong enough receiving threat, but if I was a "high in the I" run down their thoughts kinda guy...Gore all the way.
Originally posted by sfout:

See Seattle 2009 Week 2 - Had 2 80 yard TD runs that were against loaded boxes, after the first 15 yards there was no one near him. Gore has a ton of 50+ yarders, just the past couple of years he hasn't busted any 80 yarders or anything.

Hey, it's just my impression, I'm sure he has busted big runs, but are you trying to say that big runs are his forte? Twenty years from now I don't think people will be saying "remember all those long runs Gore tore off" I will remember Frank as a tank who always seemed to gain 5 yards a carry.

Also when thinking of Frank, I won't think man that guy could run the sweep and get outside!
My top 10, 80's going forward.........

1 - Montana
2 - Rice
3 - S. Young Lott
4 - Lott
5 - B. Young
6 - Craig
7- Gore
8 - Haley
9 - Taylor
10 - V. Davis

11. T. Owens
Regardless of your personal opinion of Owens, any top ten list that excludes him instantly loses all credibility.

He's the #2 receiver of all time.
When you consider Gore's entire body of work, and then consider that he did all of that against stacked boxes without any semblance of a passing offense, he is absolutely top 10. (At least of players that I have been alive to see).
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Regardless of your personal opinion of Owens, any top ten list that excludes him instantly loses all credibility.

I dispute that...he may be top ten at his position but that doesnt make you a top ten Niner. To make the top ten I think most of your best years at least have to have come during your tenure here, failing that...how about at least the majority of your career be here?

Owen's was a great reciever when he was here...but most of what he is famous for, good or bad came when he was playing elsewhere.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Nov 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I dispute that...he may be top ten at his position but that doesnt make you a top ten Niner. To make the top ten I think most of your best years at least have to have come during your tenure here, failing that...how about at least the majority of your career be here?

Owen's was a great reciever when he was here...but most of what he is famous for, good or bad came when he was playing elsewhere.

Although I can appreciate your ability to give TO props in this post, it is still very, VERY wrong.

You he needed to have played the majority of his career here......he played 8 of his 15 seasons as a 49er.

You say most of his best years would have had to come during his tenure here......well 4 of his 6 probowl appearances came as a 49er. 3 of his 5 All Pro seasons came as a 49er.

No offense, but I swear people's biases or opinions of TO as a person cloud their memories of what actually happened. TO is an all time great 49er.

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
When you consider Gore's entire body of work, and then consider that he did all of that against stacked boxes without any semblance of a passing offense, he is absolutely top 10. (At least of players that I have been alive to see).

He is still facing stacked boxes and look at whet he is doing this year when most thought his production would begin to decrease dramaticly. Best 49er RB all time. Period.
if he finishes with high yardage this year. Passes craign, and perry on the TD list...and if we make the playoffs again...there is no question. really...I think we're talking top 6. Rice, Montana, Young, Lott, Willis, Gore...??

I say he needs 3 more years, including this one of 1,000 + yards and I think he'll do it. He's putting up high yards with limited carries so he seems to be staying fresh....kendall hunter may have single handedly extended gores career...gore looks so good this year its ridiculous...i love it!

Totally agree.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:

Totally agree.

Owens was the most physically gifted receiver that ever played the game. Yes even above Rice and Moss. Terrell was that dude when he had his head in football...there was nothing he couldn't do. He blocked, he caught damn near every ball, he beat double teams, he had elite speed (yes...elite), he had great RAC ability and he was 6'3.5" 220 pounds.

Unfortunately when Terrell Owens decided that being his alter ego T.O. was more important than playing football...he started to fall of the cliff.

Those damn alter egos will ruin you. Just ask Ochocinco...or Chad Johnson...or child please...or whatever the f**k his name is lol.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Owens was the most physically gifted receiver that ever played the game. Yes even above Rice and Moss. Terrell was that dude when he had his head in football...there was nothing he couldn't do. He blocked, he caught damn near every ball, he beat double teams, he had elite speed (yes...elite), he had great RAC ability and he was 6'3.5" 220 pounds.

Unfortunately when Terrell Owens decided that being his alter ego T.O. was more important than playing football...he started to fall of the cliff.

Those damn alter egos will ruin you. Just ask Ochocinco...or Chad Johnson...or child please...or whatever the f**k his name is lol.
I understand that but even in Cinci and Buffalo dude was abeast and he kept his mouth shut. When its time to play he played. Was in the Super Bowl with a broken leg. Cant question his heart, mental stability ? maybe.
Share 49ersWebzone