LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Declining the safety

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KID9R:
This is probably the dumbest post I've ever seen on the Zone!! I get that you probably lost some money on the game, so why don't you complain about someone who actually did make a bad decision, like Alex's pick in the end zone. How stupid would Jim have looked if we walk out our hands team for the onside punt and say Vernon or Crabtree got nailed and were done for the season. The odds of getting a player hurt onside kick are way higher than screwing up a couple of kneel downs. Has it even happened before? Insane.

The spread thing was just a side thought, way to blow it way out of proportion...plus I made it beyond explicitly clear that obviously you should never alter/risk anything to make sure covering, but that if it's just right there handed for you to take, then take it. Especially because it would have made it go from a 1 possession game to a 2 possession game...it's not like the score change would have been insignificant that doesn't change what the opposition would then need i.e. a 4 point game to a 6 point game, or an 18 point game to a 20 point game or something. And again, if you think about it, wouldn't teams want people to bet on them? The more people in the stadium that are rooting for you and will cheer and make noise when the other team is on offense, the better.
[ Edited by lordfangio on Oct 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lordfangio:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Nice, but add one other item--Accept--Williams and Ginn drop back to return the kick...both are injured and out for the rest of the year...Harbaugh is an idiot!

Don't you dare deny that if we botched a snap the entire Zone wouldn't have been calling Harbaugh an idiot for not making it a 2 possession game when we had the chance. How do people not realize that this applies both ways?

Not the entire Zone, just the insane ones. The intelligent zoners would be blaming Smith or Goodwin, who ever screwed it up. Remember when "smart" players like Brain Westbrook and MJD (I think) made heads up plays like going down right before the endzone because they got the first down and they knew that they're teams could just take a couple of knees and the game would be over. Knowing that the other team had a better chance to win even if they were down 2 or 3 scores.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
This is probably the dumbest post I've ever seen on the Zone!! I get that you probably lost some money on the game, so why don't you complain about someone who actually did make a bad decision, like Alex's pick in the end zone. How stupid would Jim have looked if we walk out our hands team for the onside punt and say Vernon or Crabtree got nailed and were done for the season. The odds of getting a player hurt onside kick are way higher than screwing up a couple of kneel downs. Has it even happened before? Insane.

The spread thing was just a side thought, way to blow it way out of proportion...plus I made it beyond explicitly clear that obviously you should never alter/risk anything to make sure covering, but that if it's just right there handed for you to take, then take it. Especially because it would have made it go from a 1 possession game to a 2 possession game...it's not like the score change would have been insignificant that doesn't change what the opposition would then need i.e. a 4 point game to a 6 point game, or an 18 point game to a 20 point game or something. And again, if you think about it, wouldn't teams want people to bet on them? The more people in the stadium that are rooting for you and will cheer and make noise when the other team is on offense, the better.

So in turn, you think that because we didn't cover the spread the 49ers fans won't be as loud as they could be. Would they be louder if we lose the game or get someone hurt for the season on the hands team or defense and seriously hurt our chances going forward? Jim made the only choice to be made!
Not the entire Zone, just the insane ones. The intelligent zoners would be blaming Smith or Goodwin, who ever screwed it up. Remember when "smart" players like Brain Westbrook and MJD (I think) made heads up plays like going down right before the endzone because they got the first down and they knew that they're teams could just take a couple of knees and the game would be over. Knowing that the other team had a better chance to win even if they were down 2 or 3 scores.

I may be mistaken but I believe one or both of the Westbrook/MJD examples was a 1 point game and thus a TD would have given them the ball with it still being a one possession game and so in that case that would make a lot more sense.

Actually, and again I may be mistaken, but I think the MJD scenario was that they were down 1 or 2 and then kneeled on the ball until the clock was drained and then kicked a FG, so that's a WAY different scenario.
[ Edited by lordfangio on Oct 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

I may be mistaken but I believe one or both of the Westbrook/MJD examples was a 1 point game and thus a TD would have given them the ball with it still being a one possession game and so in that case that would make a lot more sense.

Actually, and again I may be mistaken, but I think the MJD scenario was that they were down 1 or 2 and then kneeled on the ball until the clock was drained and then kicked a FG, so that's a WAY different scenario.
Nope

6. Kneel down to beat 12-1 Dallas Cowboys In the record books, it goes down as a 23-yard run. But to Eagles fans, it ranks as one of the more memorable plays against the Dallas Cowboys in the Andy Reid era–and there definitely has NOT been a shortage of incredible plays against the Cowboys in the last 13 seasons.

With the 5-8 Eagles clinging to a late fourth quarter 10-6 lead on the road against the powerful 12-1 Dallas Cowboys, it was offensive tackle Jon Runyan who pulled Westbrook aside and told him to kneel the ball down on the one-yard line instead of scoring a touchdown if he broke away. Give credit to Runyan, because that's exactly what Westbrook did on the very next play. His fall down at the one-yard line may have killed a number of fantasy football teams (who cares?), but it clinched an improbable victory for the Eagles. The Eagles ended up winning their final two games and avoided a losing season.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/08/29/10-best-career-moments-of-former-philadelphia-eagles-running-back-brian-westbrook/?GEIImGBqpJzFSw1U.99

I can't really remember the MJD one, but I think it was to kick the game winning FG with no time left.
[ Edited by KID9R on Oct 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Harbaugh made the right call. Game over.

This. I can't believe I must read it was a bad move because it didnt cover the spread. Lololololl
Has anybody ever seen a botched kneel down?
This was the right call whether people where happy with it or not, just like CK sliding instead of scoring the touchdown, its a win anyways, why risk the health of the team over more points?
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
dude this was the worst most irrelevant post ever. Harbaugh made the right call. Win the game right away. Game is over kneel, simple as that.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Nope.

Even better question anyone ever see a b***hes kneel down that resulted in a turn over in the NFL?

And if it was botched the QB would just fall on it.

Originally posted by kingairta:

Nope.

Even better question anyone ever see a b***hes kneel down that resulted in a turn over in the NFL?

I think herm Edwards recovered a botched snap (turnover)
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by kingairta:

Nope.

I think herm Edwards recovered a botched snap (turnover)

Herm recovered the botched snap but it was run play not kneel. Before the kneel.
I didnt look at this thread until today....didnt think there could possibly be any discussion of it... GUARANTEED a win vs possibly getting players injured... i feel dumber for reading through all of this.
Simple, by not taking the safety, we maintain possession of the ball. Better that way than give the Seahawks an opportunity, even of it is only an onside kick.
IM SO HAPPY I DIDN'T BET ON THE line
Share 49ersWebzone