LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Declining the safety

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can bet on a 49ers game and win... but I dont because I want to enjoy the 49ers and only the 49ers game and not have money being in back of my mind. WE WON I REST MY CASE!
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for lordfangio.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
This. I can't believe I must read it was a bad move because it didnt cover the spread. Lololololl

And the award for the worst job interpreting the main point of a post goes to....................rubberneck come on down!
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Has anybody ever seen a botched kneel down?

Has anyone ever seen a recovered onside punt, TD, recovered onside kick, FG, all in 43 seconds with no timeout? You really think that's more likely than a botched snap? I disagree.
Originally posted by lordfangio:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
This. I can't believe I must read it was a bad move because it didnt cover the spread. Lololololl

And the award for the worst job interpreting the main point of a post goes to....................rubberneck come on down!

And the award for the worst thread of the year... Succeeding andes14 threads from last season and facing stiff competition from nickbradley is... Lordfangio come on down!!!
Has anybody ever seen a botched kneel down?

Has anyone ever seen a recovered onside punt, TD, recovered onside kick, FG, all in 43 seconds with no timeout? You really think that's more likely than a botched snap? I disagree.

Neither are very likely at all. Players getting injured on kickoffs is fairly likely though, a lot more than a botched kneel down.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
And the award for the worst thread of the year... Succeeding andes14 threads from last season and facing stiff competition from nickbradley is... Lordfangio come on down!!!

So the declining of the safety was a topic on friggin PTI, which not only highlights the biggest stories in the NFL, but all of sports, yet it shouldn't be a topic of a message board of that very team? Ya ok that makes sense..

Also, kudos on an incredibly witty and creative way of attacking me.
[ Edited by lordfangio on Oct 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM ]
Neither are very likely at all. Players getting injured on kickoffs is fairly likely though, a lot more than a botched kneel down.

That's a very fair point and I definitely acknowledge the logic in that, but there is certainly logic to what I'm saying as well. I just personally am of the philosophy that NO MATTER WHAT if you have the free opportunity to turn a 1 possession game into a 2 possession game, you take it. Why that seems like such a radical philosophy to so many really shocks me.
Harbaugh couldn't give a single f**k about the spread lol.
So..what if the challenge resulted in the 1st down being made, at that point would we still have had the option of taking the penalty. If not, I'd say that's something that should be discussed.

not at all the main point lol

good to know that if you throw in a side point, that that's the main idea everyone will take and run with

not at all the main point lol

good to know that if you throw in a side point, that that's the main idea everyone will take and run with

Lol it was your first point of your two point argument lol

Lol
Lol it was your first point of your two point argument lol

Lol

It was listed 1st because then when I introduced the 2nd point, I said '2nd and more importantly...'

Also, I couldn't have been more clear about the fact that OBVIOUSLY you should never alter or risk anything to ensure covering, but that overall, it's nice and in a team's best interest to have as many people betting (and thus cheering) for them. So if the option of covering is literally handed to you on a silver platter, AND it doesn't decrease your chances of winning (and my 2nd point aka my MAIN point, is explaining why it doesn't), then take it! Not the main point at all though.
[ Edited by lordfangio on Oct 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM ]
Originally posted by MortimerC:
So..what if the challenge resulted in the 1st down being made, at that point would we still have had the option of taking the penalty. If not, I'd say that's something that should be discussed.

He said if the play resulted in a first down then he would take the safety.
Grow up dude, I had a thought and decided to post it, you don't need to reply if you don't like it. I just think a messed up QB/center exchance isn't exactly ridiculously rare (I mean c'mon, it does happen in football fairly frequently). Recovering 2 onsides (1 being a punt) and getting 2 scores all in like 50 seconds seems way more unfathomable...sure we wound up winning, doesn't mean we can't discuss thoughts...People discuss things they didn't like seeing in games all the time here, even if we wound up winning, that's not the point. Just because I post my thought doesn't mean I'm crying, holy crap.

And sure Jim would have received a ton of criticism if we forced them to kickoff and someone got hurt, but don't you also think he would have received a ton of criticism if there was a fumbled snap on a kneeldown? Obviously if that happened everyone would have been saying 'stupid Harbaugh could have made it a 2 possession game.' It goes both ways.

Well look at last year you say 2 scores in 50 seconds seems infathomable didn'g Ginn have 2 Special team scores in 49 seconds in a game last year against the seahawks http://youtu.be/EG5MNxmAHxA

So why give them the chance. I think Harbs had the right Idea and made sure the game was iced.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
The question is...Do you take the ball to kneel down and end the game with a win, or take a 2 score lead and extend the game?

You can accept a win and be done or take a bigger lead and give them a chance at the ball. Only betters and dicks on Madden would do the latter.

Again, it comes down to what seems more far-fetched, a bad QB/center exchange (which probably happens on average AT LEAST once per weekend of NFL football) and then they score once, or a team converting an onside punt, going down the field and scoring a TD, getting ANOTHER successful onside kick, and driving for ANOTHER score, all in less than 50 seconds and with no timeouts...something that doesn't exactly happen as much as merely a botched snap...I don't see how so many think the latter is clearly less far-fetched

When have you eeeeeever seen a botched victory formation snap in the NFL? We aren't talking as play where the QB is reading defenses and getting his guy into place and the center worried about getting off the ball to get his guy blocked here.

I think your reasoning is beyond far fetched and are arguing to do so at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone