LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS ARIZONA CARDINALS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 8)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

That was awesome. Is it just me.... Or is that a play that Moss usually goes out of bounds on to avoid a hit? Seems out of character for him to cut back inside like that and I love it. I have to wonder if his limited reps and targets have made him extra hungry for the endzone... :-D

Also nice to see Crabtree with a 2TD game today. And all against Arizona to boot. Happy night in Niner Land
I'm overally happy. Thoughts below.

Nice to be 6-2, and 2 games up on Arizona.

Alex is so off right now big time. He over throws and lays ducks into the WRs. Had the tip not happened on the Walker catch, that would of been a pick or eventual punt. Crabtree bailed out Alex, the short passes on 3rd and long have been a big no no lately. Lukcly Crabtree got them into FG range. Throwing 3rd and goal in coverage 4 yards short of endzone to Crabtree, luckly Peterson whiffed on the tackle. 18/19 looks nice, but he got bailed big time. I do like the Moss TD, he made the right read.

Defense was dominant. Aldon now has 7.5 sacks, Brooks had another sack. Cully with the INT at end of 1st half doesn't seem like much, but it still prevented a TD or wild play.

Not sure the stats, but seemed as the game went on Gore wasn't getting much yardage.

STs looked much improved. Spillman looks good out there, Gooden, Grant, Jennings on punts, Akers and Lee were solid, and Ginn was great on KR and PR.

I am happy, but still not satisfied 100%, we layed an egg in Minny and home vs Giants, we could easily be 8-0 or 7-1. But 6-2 is a great start, now we have STL twice, Seattle and Arizona again, Miami, Pats, Saints and Bears left. Biggest matchups will be Pats on SNF, and Bears on MNF.

We should easily beat Miami, STL(home and away), Home vs Arizona. I hate in Seattle. Going to New Orleans will be tough one, hopefully they are crap when we see them. If we go 6-2 again, or 7-1, only lose(or losses) being in NE, and Seattle in Seattle as a late season loss we shouldn't lose type game.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Alex is so off right now big time. He over throws and lays ducks into the WRs. Had the tip not happened on the Walker catch, that would of been a pick or eventual punt. Crabtree bailed out Alex, the short passes on 3rd and long have been a big no no lately. Lukcly Crabtree got them into FG range. Throwing 3rd and goal in coverage 4 yards short of endzone to Crabtree, luckly Peterson whiffed on the tackle. 18/19 looks nice, but he got bailed big time. I do like the Moss TD, he made the right read.

Defense was dominant. Aldon now has 7.5 sacks, Brooks had another sack. Cully with the INT at end of 1st half doesn't seem like much, but it still prevented a TD or wild play.

Not sure the stats, but seemed as the game went on Gore wasn't getting much yardage.

STs looked much improved. Spillman looks good out there, Gooden, Grant, Jennings on punts, Akers and Lee were solid, and Ginn was great on KR and PR.

I am happy, but still not satisfied 100%, we layed an egg in Minny and home vs Giants, we could easily be 8-0 or 7-1. But 6-2 is a great start, now we have STL twice, Seattle and Arizona again, Miami, Pats, Saints and Bears left. Biggest matchups will be Pats on SNF, and Bears on MNF.

We should easily beat Miami, STL(home and away), Home vs Arizona. I hate in Seattle. Going to New Orleans will be tough one, hopefully they are crap when we see them. If we go 6-2 again, or 7-1, only lose(or losses) being in NE, and Seattle in Seattle as a late season loss we shouldn't lose type game.

Good post.

It looked like AZ went all in to stop Gore, opening up holes behind the linebackers and in front of safties, Also saw safties in the box often.

AZ took the traditional approach to stopping us. That is, let it ride on Gore and let Smith beat you, and he did,

But you are right on his assessment. Great plays by his WR core after the catch. Still looked shaky in the pocket though.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

19/20 passes completed disagrees with you.

This is the core idea of west coast offense no?
Short passes and YAC?

Alex played great. Put the team in position to succeed and allowed his playmakers to make plays, and they definitely did.

I agree with everything else you said.
Every team has a gaff now and then. New England, Green Bay, Houston... all have had bad games. Even the Falcons should have lost to two s**tty teams (raiders, panthers) but snuck out with wins late. It's the NFL.

in assessing alex's performance, i give him props for what he did. he deserves it.

i still think he is what he is, he needs the defense and special teams to be dominant for him to look good. when the game is close and the defense is struggling he looks a whole lot different.
this is what i like the most about the game:

Draft-pick comparison: The Cardinals selected Peterson fifth overall in 2011 when they could have taken Aldon Smith, who went to the 49ers two picks later. Both have been impact players overall, but Smith had the better night Monday. He had two sacks.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/79890/rapid-reaction-49ers-at-cardinals

i just hate the pp21 talk
i'm so happy the Crabs just killed it today
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
With this roster, we could probably take any QB on the cardinals roster as our starter and win the SB easily. With Alex, we probably never will.

Lol these threads produce some of the stupidest s**t ever
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
The 49ers will probably win this game because of the defense and run game and Alex Smith supporters will chalk up another win for ALEX! LOL

Derhehrherhehrher
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
prediction: Goldson will kill one of the Cardinals.

R.I.P Early Doucet

Yesssssssss
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
prediction: Goldson will kill one of the Cardinals.

R.I.P Early Doucet

Yesssssssss

What the f**k are you talking about!?

I'm not even a big Alex homer, I think he is a middle of the road Qb at best, but come on! How is a guy that goes 18/19 with 3 TDs and no picks ON THE ROAD "off right now"?

Compare him throw for throw with Skelton...if Smith is "off right now" what was skelton?

How did Tom Brady do against the Cards defense in NEW ENGLAND? He had 1 TD, 1 INT, and only scored 20 pts. Thats right, Smith had a better game on the road than Brady did at home against the same defense.

I respect the hell out of the awesome salary cap posts you make, but geez, do you actually WATCH any football at all?
Originally posted by notsoempty86:

I'm not even a big Alex homer, I think he is a middle of the road Qb at best, but come on! How is a guy that goes 18/19 with 3 TDs and no picks ON THE ROAD "off right now"?

Compare him throw for throw with Skelton...if Smith is "off right now" what was skelton?

How did Tom Brady do against the Cards defense in NEW ENGLAND? He had 1 TD, 1 INT, and only scored 20 pts. Thats right, Smith had a better game on the road than Brady did at home against the same defense.

I respect the hell out of the awesome salary cap posts you make, but geez, do you actually WATCH any football at all?

I think he's talking about Alex's play over the last few games, not just MNF. If you look at the stats last night, he was lights out. Historically, if you look at the unnecessary sacks, the recent INTs, and his innacurracy throwing deep, there's some concern.

This franchise has been blessed with great QBs. An average starting QB or a guy that "manages" games will always be scrutinized. That's what the criticism on this board is about.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by notsoempty86:

I think he's talking about Alex's play over the last few games, not just MNF. If you look at the stats last night, he was lights out. Historically, if you look at the unnecessary sacks, the recent INTs, and his innacurracy throwing deep, there's some concern.

This franchise has been blessed with great QBs. An average starting QB or a guy that "manages" games will always be scrutinized. That's what the criticism on this board is about.

How can somebody say "he is so off right now" after that performance? He was not off at all last night, anybody who watched the game could see that. That was Alex Smith at his best.
An arizona fan on the Goldson hit

Skelton led him to a near death and did the same with Fitz.
Good win, but if we don't show up again against a top 5 team, then we're just a team that beats up on the bad ones.
Share 49ersWebzone