There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers need to attack the ball!

• dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Receivers were open, if the DB can just keep up with a receiver they know AS wont throw it.

They were? I didn't see that. What I saw was they had a blanket on them all game long. Throwing to an obviously covered receiver is a recipe for disaster. We have 20 pages of posts talking about the limitations of the current WRs and last night was just more of the same. Don't get me wrong. I like Crabtree but he doesn't have the speed to take the lid off. Williams has good quickness but he can't outrun the average NFL DB. MM would be #4 on the NYG this year. Moss doesn't have it any more. There isn't a receiver on this team that scares an opponent. Not one!
Originally posted by dj43:
Receivers were open, if the DB can just keep up with a receiver they know AS wont throw it.

They were? I didn't see that. What I saw was they had a blanket on them all game long. Throwing to an obviously covered receiver is a recipe for disaster. We have 20 pages of posts talking about the limitations of the current WRs and last night was just more of the same. Don't get me wrong. I like Crabtree but he doesn't have the speed to take the lid off. Williams has good quickness but he can't outrun the average NFL DB. MM would be #4 on the NYG this year. Moss doesn't have it any more. There isn't a receiver on this team that scares an opponent. Not one!

mike mayock specifically said the receivers were not winning their battles vs the seattle dbs...several times they posted an overview of the field and there was a seattle defender on each receiver the niners had

Except VD and Roman has done nothing to isolate him despite teams clearly giving him the Moss treatment. So now Moss is more single covered or if he is also being double covered what the eff is Crabtree/Williams/Manningham doing? Why are these guys not running wild and wide open with single coverage? Crabtree is easily destroyed against good secondaries 1on1. He's 4 catches for 46 yards against the Giants the past two games now and that is WITH double covering VD all game in both. No excuses. He's slow off the LOS and has no speed to separate plus he seems to run rotes behind DB's, doesn't shield his body well to box out, etc. Not to mention he ran another up last night while he was supposed to break off the route d/t the blitz = incompletion by Alex.

For the blanket statement 49AllTheTime just made, I'd like him to highlight these wide open receivers for us in this Hawks game. We don't need to focus on Alex's blunder on the INT...Moss was NOT the primary target and by the time he got over to him, he was late and threw a poor pass across his body. He admitted that.

We'll watch the coaches film and believe me, we'll highlight the plays Alex left on the field (which do happen every game by every "elite" QB). Hell, even Eli left a ton in the last game...deep sideline balls, passes in the dirt on 3rd down, etc.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Gonna be a rough game.. not even in a mood to predict this one. Whatever happens, it will say a lot about our team.. our QB.. our WRs.. our coaching. If we do lose (even if just barely) but win the next one vs AZ, we would still be 5-3 headed into the bye. Not exactly where we want to be... but not too bad and wouldn't mean our division hopes are crushed.

... really want this W badly though.
Well, we got both; a rough game and a W.

It was particularly rough on the wide receivers. It was abundantly clear that the big Seattle secondary was mugging the 49er receivers all night long. I was surprised the refs allowed so much contact but Eric Davis attributed it to the fact that "Seattle always plays that way and the word has gotten around the league so the refs just let them play." Whether that is true or not, the facts were obvious; 49er receivers were not able to break the single coverage all night long. With Manningham unavailable, and no true speed guy on the field, Seattle was able to play tight coverage and effectively took the WRs out of the game. What we saw last night was that the 49er receivers had to hold off an attack by the Seahawk DBs before they could even consider attacking the ball.

It is becoming more and more obvious to anyone who is really paying attention that the lack of a WR with burner speed is restricting this offense. Why AJ Jenkins is never on the field is a question only the coaches can answer but we saw once again last night that none of the 49er receivers scare a decent secondary to use anything more than just single coverage against the current WR group. Vernon Davis is the only real threat and he was effectively taken out of the game by doubling him with a LB and/or a CB or safety. Davis is clearly getting frustrated but it looks like he will just have to get used to it until a true #1 receiver joins the team that will pull a the double coverage off VD.

roman needs to find a way to get vernon the ball even if for minimal gains, ie bubble screen just to keep him in the game mentally...though vernon did ay a great block to help get walker into the end zone yesterday
Originally posted by hofer36:

mike mayock specifically said the receivers were not winning their battles vs the seattle dbs...several times they posted an overview of the field and there was a seattle defender on each receiver the niners had

Well, what did you expect from someone who hates our starting qb to say?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Except VD and Roman has done nothing to isolate him despite teams clearly giving him the Moss treatment. So now Moss is more single covered or if he is also being double covered what the eff is Crabtree/Williams/Manningham doing? Why are these guys not running wild and wide open with single coverage? Crabtree is easily destroyed against good secondaries 1on1. He's 4 catches for 46 yards against the Giants the past two games now and that is WITH double covering VD all game in both. No excuses. He's slow off the LOS and has no speed to separate plus he seems to run rotes behind DB's, doesn't shield his body well to box out, etc. Not to mention he ran another up last night while he was supposed to break off the route d/t the blitz = incompletion by Alex.

For the blanket statement 49AllTheTime just made, I'd like him to highlight these wide open receivers for us in this Hawks game. We don't need to focus on Alex's blunder on the INT...Moss was NOT the primary target and by the time he got over to him, he was late and threw a poor pass across his body. He admitted that.

We'll watch the coaches film and believe me, we'll highlight the plays Alex left on the field (which do happen every game by every "elite" QB). Hell, even Eli left a ton in the last game...deep sideline balls, passes in the dirt on 3rd down, etc.

i was disappointed with how crabtree ran on the one short pass tha almost looked like a lateral on 3rd down...seemed like he just didnt run decisively and hard as he should have
They heard you guys b***hing last week.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Oct 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran

Agree completely.

Agree completely.

That said, losing Manningham hurt. He is the only consistent WR we had after VD.
Yet the other team's QB threw 3 perfect passes to blanketed receivers.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Guess what Braylon did when it was thrown to him in the endzone? He attacked the ball at the highest point that he could get it. They also came off the line clean and got to their spot on time.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

Guess what Braylon did when it was thrown to him in the endzone? He attacked the ball at the highest point that he could get it. They also came off the line clean and got to their spot on time.

That ball was thrown where all Braylon had to do was put his arms up. It was perfectly placed. No contorting required. And the high pass to Rice where Brown had perfect underneath coverage. And the perfect pass to the TE down the right sideline that was blanketed.

Point is, all three routes were blanketed. How many did Alex throw to blanketed receivers? Why do you think he didn't? Because Crabtree won't put his arms up to try to catch it? That's not very believable.

That ball was thrown where all Braylon had to do was put his arms up. It was perfectly placed. No contorting required. And the high pass to Rice where Brown had perfect underneath coverage. And the perfect pass to the TE down the right sideline that was blanketed.

Point is, all three routes were blanketed. How many did Alex throw to blanketed receivers? Why do you think he didn't? Because Crabtree won't put his arms up to try to catch it? That's not very believable.

There's a difference between being blanketed and being disrupted. Like I said the Seahawks WRs were on time and ready for the ball ours weren't. Also Rice clearly pushed off and won the arm battle to be the only one to make a play on the ball. How often do you see our guys do that?

There's a difference between being blanketed and being disrupted. Like I said the Seahawks WRs were on time and ready for the ball ours weren't. Also Rice clearly pushed off and won the arm battle to be the only one to make a play on the ball. How often do you see our guys do that?

Ball must be thrown to actually see if they will do it or not consistently enough. SEA WR's saw it 4 times in one game. Our guys are lucky to see it 4 times a year when they are covered tight.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM ]
Ball must be thrown to actually see if they will do it or not consistently enough. SEA WR's saw it 4 times in one game. Our guys are lucky to see it 4 times a year when they are covered tight.

WRs must attack the ball and yes the QB must attack the defense as well