There are 238 users in the forums

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jiks
Moss had 1 reception
Crabtree had 3 receptions
Kyle had 3 with one being an open bomb.
Manninham had 1(?)

How is that trusting your recievers? Moss was open, Crabtree was open on at least one if not both besides the T.d. Kyle open(mind you it was a nice throw), and Manningham had to completely stop mid slant route and reach back and to his feet for a pass to make a really nice catch. Slant routes supposed to hit the guy in stride. Manningham did make a nice play, but YAC don't count remember?

And what kind of bothers me is that Kaep missed two long throws to VD. Both should have been t.d's. If this was Alex missing these throws he has and would've been burned at the stake. Thing is, QB's miss those throws all the time. I just don't see why it's ok for one QB to miss an open target but not the next.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:40 AM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Moss had 1 reception
Manninham had 1(?)

How is that trusting your recievers? Moss was open, Crabtree was open on at least one if not both besides the T.d. Kyle open(mind you it was a nice throw), and Manningham had to completely stop mid slant route and reach back and to his feet for a pass to make a really nice catch. Slant routes supposed to hit the guy in stride. Manningham did make a nice play, but YAC don't count remember?

And what kind of bothers me is that Kaep missed two long throws to VD. Both should have been t.d's. If this was Alex missing these throws he has and would've been burned at the stake. Thing is, QB's miss those throws all the time. I just don't see why it's ok for one QB to miss an open target but not the next.

This. The first one was on our first drive and we had to settle for a FG. Good thing we were playing a horrible Bears offense and our D forced them to punt.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Moss had 1 reception
Manninham had 1(?)

This. The first one was on our first drive and we had to settle for a FG. Good thing we were playing a horrible Bears offense and our D forced them to punt.

Moss had 1 reception
Manninham had 1(?)

A couple reasons. First, he makes up for it by making plays. Second, it was his first NFL start, he's not an eight year veteran.

If he hit those plays, you realize he would have had 300+ yards with 4TDs passing and 0INTs with only around 23(?) attempts in his first NFL start; with probably the max QB rating and a crazy YPA. For a FIRST start, ya, its OK to not set records on your first day on the job.

Oh ya, I forgot to mention. It was against the NFL's #2 defense!
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 23, 2012 at 1:00 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Moss had 1 reception
Manninham had 1(?)

A couple reasons. First, he makes up for it by making plays. Second, it was his first NFL start, he's not an eight year veteran.

If he hit those plays, you realize he would have had 300+ yards with 4TDs passing 1TD rushing and 0INTs with only around 23(?) attempts in his first NFL start; with probably the max QB rating and a crazy YPA. For a FIRST start, ya, its OK to not set records on your first day on the job.

This.

WRs don't need to go up an ATTACK balls that are placed in their fingertips.

If he hit those plays, you realize he would have had 300+ yards with 4TDs passing 1TD rushing and 0INTs with only around 23(?) attempts in his first NFL start; with probably the max QB rating and a crazy YPA. For a FIRST start, ya, its OK to not set records on your first day on the job.

You also forgot to mention Kaepernick took over a winning team and was getting better and better. Oh, and did I mention our defense played like a #1 defense that night. If they didn't our offense doesn't see the field as much. Doesn't that play into the numbers as well? Please answer.

You also forgot to mention Kaepernick took over a winning team and was getting better and better. Oh, and did I mention our defense played like a #1 defense that night. If they didn't our offense doesn't see the field as much. Doesn't that play into the numbers as well? Please answer.

If our defense plays worse, does Kaepernick get the same number of attempts?
It's hard to say either way. For example, if the defense plays average and gives up some touchdowns, we won't have such a huge lead, and we will almost certainly run the ball less in the second half, which means we will have more pass attempts. On the flip side, if the defense plays well, our offense should see the field more, which means more offensive plays. So if the defense plays average or great, the pass attempts are roughly the same I would think. If the defense plays poorly, and we are behind, we will have more pass attempts.

I think generally, the better a defense plays, the fewer passes are attempted.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM ]

It's hard to say either way. For example, if the defense plays average and gives up some touchdowns, we won't have such a huge lead, and we will almost certainly run the ball less in the second half, which means we will have more pass attempts. On the flip side, if the defense plays well, our offense should see the field more, which means more offensive plays. So if the defense plays average or great, the pass attempts are roughly the same I would think. If the defense plays poorly, and we are behind, we will have more pass attempts.

true
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Nov 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM ]
Moss had 1 reception
Manninham had 1(?)

Maybe cause Alex has been missing open receivers on deep balls for 8 seasons, while Kaepernick missed 2 in his first career start...

Alex couldn't have made that throw to Kyle Williams in his dreams. He's horrific at hitting receivers on routes near the sidelines and ALWAYS overthrows them by a long shot. Smith is very accurate in the short-to-intermediate passes, but he's never been able to connect with receivers running along the sidelines. I dono why.

I've been a Smith supporter since we drafted him and continually wanted to give him another chance. Maybe it's because the year I became a 49ers fan was when I went to draft day with my dad in 2005 and saw us draft him.

However, after watching Kaepernick shred apart a very, very good Bears defense in his very first start—on MNF, nonetheless—it's obvious to me that Kaepernick's ceiling is as tall as the Vatican's, and we've already seen Smiths.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Nov 23, 2012 at 2:08 AM ]

What about the winning team and the offense alredy performing at a high level aspect of it. Does that play a factor? Matt Flynn comes to mind.

• dj43
Thought I would just resurrect this thread rather than start another one:

I have been quite critical of Crabtree for not working back to the ball in the past. Now, with the benefit of TC and 3/4 of the season, he is finally doing what we have all wished him to do.

Receivers and QBs being on the same page is so critical to offensive performance, yet it is usually very difficult to tell which one is at fault when a play goes bad. We have seen lots of failed plays in the past, and it is usually the QB that is faulted when, in fact, it is the receiver. Such was the case last night on a pass to LaMichael James where he swung out of the backfield, circled behind the LB and then slowed down. CK's pass went flying by untouched. One might normally ask where he was throwing the ball but the fault was really on James. Not to pick on James as he is still inexperienced but it does make the Crabtree improvement more noticeable.

Now if we can get Manningham and Jenkins on that same page...
Either Vernon needs to start laying out for some balls or Kaep needs to start floating 'em a bit for him.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Either Vernon needs to start laying out for some balls or Kaep needs to start floating 'em a bit for him.

VD NEVER lays out I've seen so many passes over the years the dude could have caught had he layed out
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

VD NEVER lays out I've seen so many passes over the years the dude could have caught had he layed out

He's certainly put in the work to become a better pass catcher, but dude just isn't a natural. But so many throws are JUST RIGHT THERE
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

He's certainly put in the work to become a better pass catcher, but dude just isn't a natural. But so many throws are JUST RIGHT THERE

Vernon has never really had great natural dexterity, like a Tony Gonzalez. Vernon is fast and powerful, with lots of muscle bulk. People like that don't generally have the best dexterity.
Share 49ersWebzone