LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Over analyze much?

It's the highest point in your area, not highest point of the pass

Probably as much as you over-simplify and try to rationalize... either way our receivers NEED to be more aggressive and help Alex by fighting for the ball when it's up for grabs.
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
Probably as much as you over-simplify and try to rationalize... either way our receivers NEED to be more aggressive and help Alex by fighting for the ball when it's up for grabs.

I think the biggest thing they arent doing is using there bodies to shield the defender from the pass forcing the defender to interfere or wait till they catch the pass. But there are some passes that are off track enough that that method wont work either.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I think the biggest thing they arent doing is using there bodies to shield the defender from the pass forcing the defender to interfere or wait till they catch the pass. But there are some passes that are off track enough that that method wont work either.

AGREE 100%
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Kaep got heat for throwing it into coverage to Moss against the Vikings. Moss almost caught it.

Now, Delanie, a back up tight end, is getting heat for not going up in coverage and getting it. Where is the justice?

I feel bad for Delanie, he's the best #2 tight end in the league and gets s**tted on because he's expected to make WR type adjustments to all these poor throws. There is a reason he was converted from WR to TE, because he can't make WR type plays like that. If you throw it to the #2 tight end, it better be on the money.

Thanks for the chuckles... "the 2nd best #2 TE of the league" can't even make "a WR-type play" or break up a pass? Awesome!

Lol, "the 2nd best #2 TE of the league" made me laugh too. Y2R never watched the Pats?

haha you right, he's the second best #2 tight end.

Anyone else i'm forgetting?

Tom Crabtree, Clay Harbour, Ed Dickson, Anthony McCoy...

Sorry, didn't mean to give you attitude. I knew it would come off that way. Fact is there are plenty of #2 TE's with more production, particularly this year. Walker has been targetted 12 time for 4 catches and 39 yards. No TD's. 3 Drops

Edit: Spelling and I sat on this for a while so a little out of sync with the convo.

No worries. I jsut don't agree. Delanie is a damn good blocker as we've seen with out power running game. He's constantly being singled out as making key blocks. And a damn good special teams player. And on top of that he has good speed and can be used as a weapon. He's had drops but we've seen him make plays as well.

Walker has better numbers then all those guys...Tom Crabtree my man? Come on now...
No worries. I jsut don't agree. Delanie is a damn good blocker as we've seen with out power running game. He's constantly being singled out as making key blocks. And a damn good special teams player. And on top of that he has good speed and can be used as a weapon. He's had drops but we've seen him make plays as well.

Walker has better numbers then all those guys...Tom Crabtree my man? Come on now...

I agree Delanie is an excellent #2 TE, he does alot more for this team then he is given credit for, unfortunatly this year has been cursed with the dropsies lol, but i guess its better then a shattered jaw.
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
Over analyze much?

It's the highest point in your area, not highest point of the pass

How about letting the receivers run their routes and not worry about fighting off defenders
How about letting the receivers run their routes and not worry about fighting off defenders

Will the other teams agree to this? Wow...I'm all for it. Say they have to stay five steps back and not run in front of the receiver and can't use their hands or bodies to bump or in any way re-adjust the route. Rule change?

Because not all receivers get that luxury and respect from the people on the defense, if a cb or s feels like they can bully and push a wr around and make them earn the pass thats what there going to do. Being most defense look down on a good portion of our receiver corps because of there youth or inexperiece there going to push them around and get in there way.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Will the other teams agree to this? Wow...I'm all for it. Say they have to stay five steps back and not run in front of the receiver and can't use their hands or bodies to bump or in any way re-adjust the route. Rule change?

Don't need a rule change....show me a game where receivers constantly fight for every ball
Don't need a rule change....show me a game where receivers constantly fight for every ball

Its not about constantly fighting for the ball its about when a defender is closing in, the receiver giving himself the best chance to catch the ball and the defender the least chance of interrupting or intercepting the ball.

Just a quick perusal and I count at least eight #2 TEs with better receiving numbers than Walker (some much better). So from that perspective he is not as valuable as you may think. He is a Swiss Army knife of positions for the offense though and blocks well...good ST player. So I would still put him ahead of most #2's in team value, just not as a receiver--this year. If he can get in a groove and start catching the ball he will jump up the value chart.

Go back and watch Moss jump on top of two DBs to attempt a reception of CK's pass a game or two ago and that is what I would like to see when the ball is not perfectly thrown. He could have just stopped and allowed the ball to be intercepted...but he didn't. As opposed to Walker who became a bystander.

Its not about constantly fighting for the ball its about when a defender is closing in, the receiver giving himself the best chance to catch the ball and the defender the least chance of interrupting or intercepting the ball.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Go back and watch Moss jump on top of two DBs to attempt a reception of CK's pass a game or two ago and that is what I would like to see when the ball is not perfectly thrown. He could have just stopped and allowed the ball to be intercepted...but he didn't. As opposed to Walker who became a bystander.

Moss ran down the field with two guys on deeper jump ball route

Walker ran into a opening in the zone wide open...want to see what it looks like when the QB puts some strength in the throw?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000056915/Walker-32-yard-touchdown-catch
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM ]
So in your own opinion receivers should never have to fight for the ball, they should only have to catch perfectly thrown passes?
So in your own opinion receivers should never have to fight for the ball, they should only have to catch perfectly thrown passes?

I would have taken a overthrow ... Things are not perfect but to put in a WRs head that they have to fight for ever pass means that they will not be looking at the ball but who's around them

Why is crabs a possession receiver?, because he has no idea where AS is going to throw it
Share 49ersWebzone