There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Serious thought: Maybe the recievers would learn to attack the ball more if they actually had a QB that consistently put them in a position to do so. It seems to me that most of the balls thrown their way is when they are wide open, hence they dont get a lot of practice. However, if they had an aggressive QB that forced them to be better by making the harder throws, it would stand to reason they would get better at it.

P.S. D.Walker was not at fault for the INT. He totally had to break momentum and come back because it was underthrown or thrown very late.

It wasn't a good throw. I've already said that. However, it wasn't UNDERthrown. Smith was trying to fit it into the space between two defenders. The problem with the thrown was that it needed to be a line drive instead of a rainbow.

The problem with the other two picks was that the Giants disguised coverages and there just was no way to get the ball into the receiver. In both cases, Smith should have taken a sack instead of a chance. Bad choice.
But if he would have taken a sack...wouldn't some be complaining about he should have just let it fly? That he takes too many sacks? That he holds on to the ball too long? Just an observation.
My biggest criticism of the 49er receivers is that they do not work back to the ball on many plays. Even on crossing patterns good receivers know how to turn their bodies to shield defenders away from the ball. Too many times defenders have found it too easy to reach around the receiver to knock it down. Receivers MUST cross the face (run between the ball and the defender) of the DB and then adjust to the ball in such a way that the defender cannot make a play on it. They must also come BACK to the ball on curl routes. Too many times they just wait for the ball to get to them. Vernon Davis still has this habit and it drives me nuts. He has been here too long to still be sitting down waiting for the ball.

The other failure of the receivers is when Smith is under pressure or has to roll out, receivers MUST come out of their patterns and work back toward him. Crabtree has gotten a LITTLE better at that this year but he is still late reading the need to work back. The result is that the ball must be thrown away for lack of an available target.

As to this last point, part of that is on the play design. The 49ers use a lot of 2 receivers sets with the result being that there just are not enough available receivers to have one that has broken coverage and can work back.

Multiple issues but my main point is the failure to work back to the ball/QB when the pattern begins to break down. Will they learn with more PT? Stay tuned.

Excellent points. I too criticize our one or two receiving options (at most) and that is by Roman-design, no doubt. And when those guys are covered, we have no plan B, like you mentioned.

As to the other point about Alex not throwing unless his guy is open (minus VD of course), I mostly agree with this. The big issue is that our WR's don't get open like the Giants do. For as small a WR group we are, Manningham seems to be the only guy that can consistently get off the LOS, use his quickness, hand fighting, speed and ability to create good space/separation...his issue is finishing the routes. Crabtree is more of, clear-everything-out-for-me-guys, type of WR. Williams and Moss only get 2 or 3 (primary receiver) designed plays a game. VD is the center of our passing game either by decoy or actual production (e.g. consistent short, intermediate, deep and RZ/EZ). And that's it!

We don't use Ginn anymore, Jenkins doesn't play and we never use screen passes for Gore/Hunter. Celek is a joke. I heard we used Miller once before. Walker has proven he can't catch anything but we keep going to him. It really is a sad group when you get right down to it. For the guy who has the greatest hands Harbaugh has ever seen, he's always dropping balls esp. on 3rd downs. We are always tops in the league with drop %. Alex has trust issues and won't pass unless he KNOWS his guy is safely open.

Again, our WR's struggle mightily with getting open esp. against physical DB's. Period. The Giants took VD completely away and we had nothing but Moss/Manningham deep on a couple plays. Crabtree, Williams, etc. were completely absent from the game...again. So I do find fault in our WR group esp. when you can compare them to a clinic of WR's such as the Giants have.

To summarize (in no particular order):
1. WR group as a whole are average at best (worst in drops)
2. Alex doesn't trust anyone fully not named VD
3. Play calling is horrendous at times and doesn't maximize the playmakers we do have (enough or consistently)
4. Defenses that play physical can easily take our small WR's out 1on1 (well documented esp. with Crabtree)
5. Take VD away and we have no plan B. Cover the primary WR off the LOS and we have no plan B.
6. Horrible ad lib team (WR's run 1/2 speed, unsure what to do, don't break off routes or come back, etc.)
7. We're an under-three second TEAM passing offense (no plan B or real progression reads)
8. I wouldn't even call this a WCO. A WCO has consistent 2 or 3 WR's that are big, physical, strong, excellent hands, RAC ability, etc. We rarely run a crossing pattern, rarely use the TE all over the field in soft zones ala Brent Jones, rarely run a post pattern, quick slant, etc. We only use a 3 step drop mostly. The RB & FB are hardly ever used in the passing game. Our OL is huge...if anything, I see the Anti-WCO. The only thing that mirrors a WCO is the fact that we come out passing the ball to set up the run in the second half
9. OL is wildly inconsistent in pass protection but consistently poor against a good pass rushing team like the Giants

We have lots of issues beyond the WR's. Again, it would be nice to watch the Giants game objectively and highlight the TRUE accuracy of Eli and the play-making ability of the Giants WR's...vs. ours. Anyone up for it?

SeaHawks (physical DB's) should be another good test to see if anyone can consistently get open and if Alex even has time to find them (pass protection) and if so, will he pull the trigger (be less tentative)?
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
My biggest criticism of the 49er receivers is that they do not work back to the ball on many plays. Even on crossing patterns good receivers know how to turn their bodies to shield defenders away from the ball. Too many times defenders have found it too easy to reach around the receiver to knock it down. Receivers MUST cross the face (run between the ball and the defender) of the DB and then adjust to the ball in such a way that the defender cannot make a play on it. They must also come BACK to the ball on curl routes. Too many times they just wait for the ball to get to them. Vernon Davis still has this habit and it drives me nuts. He has been here too long to still be sitting down waiting for the ball.

The other failure of the receivers is when Smith is under pressure or has to roll out, receivers MUST come out of their patterns and work back toward him. Crabtree has gotten a LITTLE better at that this year but he is still late reading the need to work back. The result is that the ball must be thrown away for lack of an available target.

As to this last point, part of that is on the play design. The 49ers use a lot of 2 receivers sets with the result being that there just are not enough available receivers to have one that has broken coverage and can work back.

Multiple issues but my main point is the failure to work back to the ball/QB when the pattern begins to break down. Will they learn with more PT? Stay tuned.

Excellent points. I too criticize our one or two receiving options (at most) and that is by Roman-design, no doubt. And when those guys are covered, we have no plan B, like you mentioned.

As to the other point about Alex not throwing unless his guy is open (minus VD of course), I mostly agree with this. The big issue is that our WR's don't get open like the Giants do. For as small a WR group we are, Manningham seems to be the only guy that can consistently get off the LOS, use his quickness, hand fighting, speed and ability to create good space/separation...his issue is finishing the routes. Crabtree is more of, clear-everything-out-for-me-guys, type of WR. Williams and Moss only get 2 or 3 (primary receiver) designed plays a game. VD is the center of our passing game either by decoy or actual production (e.g. consistent short, intermediate, deep and RZ/EZ). And that's it!

We don't use Ginn anymore, Jenkins doesn't play and we never use screen passes for Gore/Hunter. Celek is a joke. I heard we used Miller once before. Walker has proven he can't catch anything but we keep going to him. It really is a sad group when you get right down to it. For the guy who has the greatest hands Harbaugh has ever seen, he's always dropping balls esp. on 3rd downs. We are always tops in the league with drop %. Alex has trust issues and won't pass unless he KNOWS his guy is safely open.

Again, our WR's struggle mightily with getting open esp. against physical DB's. Period. The Giants took VD completely away and we had nothing but Moss/Manningham deep on a couple plays. Crabtree, Williams, etc. were completely absent from the game...again. So I do find fault in our WR group esp. when you can compare them to a clinic of WR's such as the Giants have.

To summarize (in no particular order):
1. WR group as a whole are average at best (worst in drops)
2. Alex doesn't trust anyone fully not named VD
3. Play calling is horrendous at times and doesn't maximize the playmakers we do have (enough or consistently)
4. Defenses that play physical can easily take our small WR's out 1on1 (well documented esp. with Crabtree)
5. Take VD away and we have no plan B. Cover the primary WR off the LOS and we have no plan B.
6. Horrible ad lib team (WR's run 1/2 speed, unsure what to do, don't break off routes or come back, etc.)
7. We're an under-three second TEAM passing offense (no plan B or real progression reads)
8. I wouldn't even call this a WCO. A WCO has consistent 2 or 3 WR's that are big, physical, strong, excellent hands, RAC ability, etc. We rarely run a crossing pattern, rarely use the TE all over the field in soft zones ala Brent Jones, rarely run a post pattern, quick slant, etc. We only use a 3 step drop mostly. The RB & FB are hardly ever used in the passing game. Our OL is huge...if anything, I see the Anti-WCO. The only thing that mirrors a WCO is the fact that we come out passing the ball to set up the run in the second half
9. OL is wildly inconsistent in pass protection but consistently poor against a good pass rushing team like the Giants

We have lots of issues beyond the WR's. Again, it would be nice to watch the Giants game objectively and highlight the TRUE accuracy of Eli and the play-making ability of the Giants WR's...vs. ours. Anyone up for it?

SeaHawks (physical DB's) should be another good test to see if anyone can consistently get open and if Alex even has time to find them (pass protection) and if so, will he pull the trigger (be less tentative)?

Very good points from the both of you and pretty evident when you look at how well we played against the Bills defense vs. the Giants defense. I think we could've beaten the Bills with any QB on our roster but the Giants are too good to be beaten with a gimmick offense. I don't think we needed to go with the wildkap so early in the game or even at all, Alex was doing fine with our base offense and was methodically moving us downfield. Mix in a lot more of Gore and Hunter we could've kept the Giants off the field and our defense resting on the sidelines. We need to see our WRs step up if the run is not working and maybe keep the the wildkap packages for goaline situations. The wildkap is scary at times and if you don't think so you're not paying close attention. There has been a fumble, he has trouble handing the ball off, and he did a playaction handoff to someone that wasn't there. But that's a different topic. Our WRs seem to forget the fundamentals like you guys mentioned. Stay fundamentally sound and it will help whoever our QB is.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
This thread is pissing me off.

You got guys trying to say how much better the Giants' receivers are to ours. You also have to include the Broncos from their recent production. Heck, I think all the Colts receivers and tight ends behind Wayne are more legit from their success. Those rookies are killing it with jumping high up there and just plucking the pig skin out of the air. I mean, wtf is up with these GMs letting TY Hilton slip in the draft. Superstar.

Kevin Ogletree should be our number one receiver. I mean damn, with all those balls thrown his way, he alone shows us enough that we need to trade a second for him and cut Randy Moss. He snags that f**king ball and scores touchdowns.

Many late round receivers are out performing our guys... f**k man, we need to fire that f**ker Baalke, who the f**k does he think he is letting all these late round picks outplay our first rounders.

Quick, get Jeremy Kerley in here now, he is averaging almost 18 yards a catch. He could duke it out with Ogletree to see who wins the top spot for catching passes from Smith.

Hold on, hold on, I really wonder if Brian Hartline's 85 yards a game are due to his sudden decisiveness to fight for the ball because hes tired of 30 catches/year or maybe the change behind center; how about Devone Bess' 14 yds a catch... it must be due to him just flat being better than last years Superbowl hero. Or could it just maybe, just maybe be that little thing called 'ball placement'.

Smith is known for terrible ball placement. This is the biggest difference between our WR's have a solid chance to make a great catch. The biggest factor in making a great catch is ball placement. I don't know why we are even debating this.

Walker has fought for balls before. Smith is known for terrible ball placement. Other QB's who get "bailed out" by their WR's throw it in a perfect spot where the DB isn't able to locate the ball as well.

Ball Placement is the key to great catches. Mario Manningham would have made a great catch down the sidelines if the ball was thrown just a foot closer to the sidelines. He would have still dove, but he would have caught it. Unfortunately, it was thrown to a spot that was just far enough away to make it appear like a drop.

The INT to Delanie was a floating defender and I don't know how much more it can be explained. Even the greats have balls picked off by floating defenders when the WR is expecting an easy basket catch.

We have Randy freaking Moss. Why does it take 6 games for Alex to finally throw one deep to him? Moss must suck or maybe, just maybe, it is our QB who's known for going for SAFE passes over anything.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Smith is known for terrible ball placement. This is the biggest difference between our WR's have a solid chance to make a great catch. The biggest factor in making a great catch is ball placement. I don't know why we are even debating this.

Walker has fought for balls before. Smith is known for terrible ball placement. Other QB's who get "bailed out" by their WR's throw it in a perfect spot where the DB isn't able to locate the ball as well.

Ball Placement is the key to great catches. Mario Manningham would have made a great catch down the sidelines if the ball was thrown just a foot closer to the sidelines. He would have still dove, but he would have caught it. Unfortunately, it was thrown to a spot that was just far enough away to make it appear like a drop.

The INT to Delanie was a floating defender and I don't know how much more it can be explained. Even the greats have balls picked off by floating defenders when the WR is expecting an easy basket catch.

We have Randy freaking Moss. Why does it take 6 games for Alex to finally throw one deep to him? Moss must suck or maybe, just maybe, it is our QB who's known for going for SAFE passes over anything.

So Jim plays the guy that has terrible ball placement and hey, let's pay him 9 mil a year to poorly place balls instead of putting in "the better talented QB".

What a f**king joke.

You got guys trying to say how much better the Giants' receivers are to ours. You also have to include the Broncos from their recent production. Heck, I think all the Colts receivers and tight ends behind Wayne are more legit from their success. Those rookies are killing it with jumping high up there and just plucking the pig skin out of the air. I mean, wtf is up with these GMs letting TY Hilton slip in the draft. Superstar.

Kevin Ogletree should be our number one receiver. I mean damn, with all those balls thrown his way, he alone shows us enough that we need to trade a second for him and cut Randy Moss. He snags that f**king ball and scores touchdowns.

Many late round receivers are out performing our guys... f**k man, we need to fire that f**ker Baalke, who the f**k does he think he is letting all these late round picks outplay our first rounders.

Quick, get Jeremy Kerley in here now, he is averaging almost 18 yards a catch. He could duke it out with Ogletree to see who wins the top spot for catching passes from Smith.

Hold on, hold on, I really wonder if Brian Hartline's 85 yards a game are due to his sudden decisiveness to fight for the ball because hes tired of 30 catches/year or maybe the change behind center; how about Devone Bess' 14 yds a catch... it must be due to him just flat being better than last years Superbowl hero. Or could it just maybe, just maybe be that little thing called 'ball placement'.

That's exactly what I'm saying Joe. A lot of times in this league, it's the qb who makes the receiver who he is! Look at Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Decker, Hartline, Bess. Those guys are playing great for their expectations. And it's the qb who makes a world of difference. Even Golden Tate looks better. Look st the variables with all those guys. When looking at the statistics, it looks as if I should go check out a couple Dolphins games because Tanninhill (sp.) Is making his wrs look pretty good. He may be more than we all think of him. Just saying.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

So Jim plays the guy that has terrible ball placement and hey, let's pay him 9 mil a year to poorly place balls instead of putting in "the better talented QB".

What a f**king joke.

This has got to be one of the worst posts yet...go watch the Giants game again. Just the first 2 Q's. Eli missed on the EXACT same throw you are throwing Alex under to Nicks. He also threw an even worse pass down in the dirt on 3rd down. His TD to Cruz? High and inside (great catch). Did you commend Alex for the "rainbow" bomb to Moss that WAS completed? Anyway, we have an Alex thread to bash him in...in here, we were trying to talk about the difference in the Giants WR's and ours in a straight comparison. And let me tell you..there IS no comparison and THAT has nothing to do with Alex IMHO!

Was it Alex's bad ball placement that caused us to stall on our first 2 drives?
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

One of the 3rd down passes was tipped at the line.. Crabtree tried to turn and catch it but of course couldn't so.. FG try!

( oh, you had an altogether different point to joe... many pardons )
I get even more angry at Smith when I read this thread. Because he's a manipulating son of a b***h, leading some fans to believe our receivers are some lazy mofos.

One of the 3rd down passes was tipped at the line.. Crabtree tried to turn and catch it but of course couldn't so.. FG try!

( oh, you had an altogether different point to joe... many pardons )

It hit his hands too, I've seen rookie WRs make catches on balls that were tipped. UGH!
Gonna lock this one if people keep using it to repeat the same qb arguments.
I get even more angry at Smith when I read this thread. Because he's a manipulating son of a b***h, leading some fans to believe our receivers are some lazy mofos.

Someone clipped my car in the parking lot too! F**king Smith, probably.

.. and that stock that fell harshly last week? F**k Smith again for that!

No. And every ball placed was snagged out of the air too. His best throw was on 3rd down against the rush and he zipped the ball in to KW who also got some yac.

Keep feeding that s**t like the first two drives and we all will continue to see the production from our talented wideouts.

What a f**king joke.

We already know what Jim is doing. What he's not doing is trying to develop Jenkins in live situations...wonder why.

Our WR's are fine.