There are 165 users in the forums

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
We already know what Jim is doing. What he's not doing is trying to develop Jenkins in live situations...wonder why.

Our WR's are fine.

Oh joe.. if you only knew half of what you think you know... tsk.. tsk...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
We already know what Jim is doing. What he's not doing is trying to develop Jenkins in live situations...wonder why.

Our WR's are fine.

Don't go there. Many teams are proving you guys wrong year in and year out.

Our WR's are fine.

Stop.
Originally posted by English:

Our WR's are fine.

Stop.

This thread has turned into a 6' TE, who rarely sees a pass not fighting for a ball equating to our WR's don't do it either. It's not holding any weight and is all about if this or if that while.

Our WR personnel needed improvement and now it has improved. But now, they are not good enough. The big picture is being sorely missed here.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM ]
Gonna lock this one if people keep using it to repeat the same qb arguments.

This is a debate that every 49ers fan should actually weigh in on because there are contrasting views on our very own playmakers. It's a good debate. I just think the people who have played the positions (qb and wr) on some level give a little more sense to the argument of how our wrs perform.

They don't fight for the ball many many times because they are wide open when the ball is thrown to them and the ball is placed perfectly by Smith in their chest.

But I have to believe that NCommand has a good enough memory to remember all those high throws that Crabs snagged and bailed Smith out of a jam the last couple seasons.
This thread has turned into a 6' TE, who rarely sees a pass not fighting for a ball equating to our WR's don't do it either. It's not holding any weight and is all about if this or if that while.

Our WR personnel needed improvement and now it has improved. But now, they are not good enough. The big picture is being sorely missed here.

No it isn't. This thread, like two others right now, is rehearsing the same arguments about Smith and getting too personal.

Stick to the thread subjects and (everybody) stop with the personal.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

This is a debate that every 49ers fan should actually weigh in on because there are contrasting views on our very own playmakers. It's a good debate. I just think the people who have played the positions (qb and wr) on some level give a little more sense to the argument of how our wrs perform.

They don't fight for the ball many many times because they are wide open when the ball is thrown to them and the ball is placed perfectly by Smith in their chest.

But I have to believe that NCommand has a good enough memory to remember all those high throws that Crabs snagged and bailed Smith out of a jam the last couple seasons.

We also remember the easy ones that he dropped to the chest. Not only him but others as well. All I ask is to be good enough to catch the easy ones and be great when the situation calls for you to go up and make a play on the ball.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Was it Alex's bad ball placement that caused us to stall on our first 2 drives?

Id say the first drive for sure. His pass was behind Crabtree on 2nd and 6, which would have either resulted in a first down or close to it if thrown better. This is also completely putting aside he had a wide open Gore in the flat on the other side of the field, but was completely ignored. Could have been a huge play on that side too.

Whoops.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Oct 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM ]

No it isn't. This thread, like two others right now, is rehearsing the same arguments about Smith and getting too personal.

Stick to the thread subjects and (everybody) stop with the personal.

A point was made that ball placement is a factor into WR's being in position to make those types of catches.

That gets a reply of "Was it Alex's bad ball placement that caused us to stall on our first 2 drives?" which had very little to do with the actual discussion that these top tier QB's who repeatedly have WR's year in and out make these types of catches could possibly know how to place the ball better.

A point was made that ball placement is a factor into WR's being in position to make those types of catches.

That gets a reply of "Was it Alex's bad ball placement that caused us to stall on our first 2 drives?" which had very little to do with the actual discussion that these top tier QB's who repeatedly have WR's year in and out make these types of catches could possibly know how to place the ball better.

I assume you are deliberately missing the point.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Exactly. Delanie looked as if he expected an easy catch due to the history of Alex throwing that route since last year. Our WR's don't normally get a ball their way unless they are NFL wide open. The thrower is known for avoiding the tight pass if he can. It's a two-way street. If the receivers see that they are getting the ball more often with defenders on their back, then they will always have an instinct that the QB will throw it even if I'm covered and I better get at this s**t and catch it.
Exactly. Delanie looked as if he expected an easy catch due to the history of Alex throwing that route since last year. Our WR's don't normally get a ball their way unless they are NFL wide open. The thrower is known for avoiding the tight pass if he can. It's a two-way street. If the receivers see that they are getting the ball more often with defenders on their back, then they will always have an instinct that the QB will throw it even if I'm covered and I better get at this s**t and catch it.

So now we should shed a tear for the receivers that expect a perfect ball and don't bother to try hard for the ones that are not perfect. Oooookay then.

Is there any doubt that if we were talking about some other QB... any other QB... that our complaints would be valid only then.

So now we should shed a tear for the receivers that expect a perfect ball and don't bother to try hard for the ones that are not perfect. Oooookay then.

Is there any doubt that if we were talking about some other QB... any other QB... that our complaints would be valid only then.

You are getting carried away. It is natural to get into certain patterns of behavior. The pattern these receivers are accustomed to is they will get the ball when they are wide open be it from play design or QB option.

The WR's mentioned this when Troy Smith was starting. They said we always need to be ready because Troy will throw it when we don't think we are open. It developed a mentality in their mind that this mofo may try a crazy ass pass so the first thing they better be ready to do is box out or be ready for a defender nearby.

Getting accommodated to patterns a natural behavior.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Serious thought: Maybe the recievers would learn to attack the ball more if they actually had a QB that consistently put them in a position to do so. It seems to me that most of the balls thrown their way is when they are wide open, hence they dont get a lot of practice. However, if they had an aggressive QB that forced them to be better by making the harder throws, it would stand to reason they would get better at it.

P.S. D.Walker was not at fault for the INT. He totally had to break momentum and come back because it was underthrown or thrown very late.

It wasn't a good throw. I've already said that. However, it wasn't UNDERthrown. Smith was trying to fit it into the space between two defenders. The problem with the thrown was that it needed to be a line drive instead of a rainbow.

The problem with the other two picks was that the Giants disguised coverages and there just was no way to get the ball into the receiver. In both cases, Smith should have taken a sack instead of a chance. Bad choice.
But if he would have taken a sack...wouldn't some be complaining about he should have just let it fly? That he takes too many sacks? That he holds on to the ball too long? Just an observation.

And then they would of been right, because as dj pointed out, a throw could have been made, it just needed more zip.

Kid's these days....
Share 49ersWebzone