There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Joecool:
You are 100% incorrect. The S had veered over and was set to leap forward/up while Walker was running upfield looking back at the ball. The S then leaped over Walker where Walker was Still looking at the ball and ready to cradle it in. This was a floating defender coming in and leaping infront/over a WR who wasn't aware of that defender's positioning.

In the Troy Smith catch, Delanie was well aware of where the defender was as it was not a floating defender.

Yep. It is you who is no question 100% wrong, Joe. Walker actually stepped to the right and made the catch easier for the S. For you not to see this is just incredible.. Walker's obligation was to plant, turn and jump for the ball at the 38 yd line. If you so much as deny that or refuse to answer, then I will know that you are completely unwilling to ever be honest about anything. You already blatantly lied about zipping your mouth shut about ever assessing a QB again if JTO flopped... and yet you do the opposite and run your mouth about every QB since.

If you can't see that it was obvious he was not expecting the defender then I don't know what to say. The debate is the false thinking that our WR's don't fight or attack balls. Most receivers don't when they don't realize the defender is in position to jump in front for the INT.

This is why you see many INTs when a floating DB jumps infront and the WR has an empty basket.

... and so I have the answer I expected. That is all.
qb needs to throw the ball @ the right spot !
I'm just glad we have a gm who knows how to evaluate players because he will not crucify our receivers for those ints against the giants. All three of those ints were on Alex. I fully expect us to make minimal changes at wr at the end of this year, barring injury, because they have been playing very well.
What are you talking about? Alex smith clearly played like an a**hole this game. Yeah delanie could've jumped and swatted that ball but manningham was open in the middle of the field on that same play. Plus that ball was in the air for how long?? If he would throw it like a man it would've been a completion. And the other interceptions were his fault too. He threw it behind the receiver and he threw it while the receiver wasn't even turned around. And what about when manningham was WIDE open down field and wack ass Alex under threw it? That would've been a for sure TD. Face it, Alex sucks. It's not the receivers. Kaep didn't have a problem throwing that dart to manningham did he? It's not the receivers it's the qb. Kaep in his second year is already on Alex smith level in his eighth year.
Tight ends
46-Delanie Walker: He played 21 snaps and did not catch a pass. He should've tried to break up a deep pass from Smith that resulted in Amukamara's interception.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-review-vs-Giants-Wide-receivers-ti?blockID=789473&feedID=5936
Originally posted by jreff22:
Tight ends
46-Delanie Walker: He played 21 snaps and did not catch a pass. He should've tried to break up a deep pass from Smith that resulted in Amukamara's interception.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-review-vs-Giants-Wide-receivers-ti?blockID=789473&feedID=5936

Someone said it, so it must be true. It's called hearsay.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Tight ends

Its called watching the game objectively.
Tight ends

That's what scouts and GMs do, not reporters.
[ Edited by Bootlegger on Oct 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM ]
Tight ends

So I guess his critique of Alex having a bad game is also false?
Tight ends

So I guess his critique of Alex having a bad game is also false?

It's also hearsay. Just don't use it to rely on.
Tight ends

Wow, someone in the media also so what some of us thought. He probably had a real good view of it from the sidelines too. I guess I'm not blind after all.
Let's face it, most receivers are not acrobatic. A lot of Eli Manning's passes were low and wide but his receivers were just plain hot. If they had dropped those passes, it really wouldn't have been their fault.

I will agree that Walker should have made a greater attempt at knocking down the ball, but ultimately who's fault was it that the ball was intercepted in the first place?

The job of a QB is to place the ball where his receivers can catch it and NOT have to do acrobatic contortions just to get their hands on the ball.
Tight ends

look at the picture on the maiocco link posted here---akamura is up air and walker's feet are still on the ground

i couldnt count how many times someone has posted that smith should not be so autious and should give the receivers a chance to make a play on the ball

well on this play he did and walker didnt do it

his 2nd and 3rd ints were horrible decisions and throws but this 1st one is one of the risks you take when you throw downfield, and is more likely to be a pick when the receiver fails to make a play on the ball as walker failed here
Originally posted by hofer36:
Tight ends

look at the picture on the maiocco link posted here---akamura is up air and walker's feet are still on the ground

i couldnt count how many times someone has posted that smith should not be so autious and should give the receivers a chance to make a play on the ball

well on this play he did and walker didnt do it

his 2nd and 3rd ints were horrible decisions and throws but this 1st one is one of the risks you take when you throw downfield, and is more likely to be a pick when the receiver fails to make a play on the ball as walker failed here
Yes, and who had the better shot at catching the ball? Even if Walker had jumped up, he would have had to fight Akamura for the ball and my guess is he would have lost anyway or the pass would have been incomplete. The point is the pass was off target and favored the defender.