LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
* Prior to JH and GR (2004-2010), our average ranking for points scored per year was 25th in league
* For yards gained, our average rank was 27th in the league
* During that same period, we ranked dead last in points scored once (2007), and dead last in yards gained twice (2007, 2005)
* The year prior (2010), this team was ranked 24th in both categories
* From 2004-2010, we averaged 284 points scored per year

That's what Harbaugh/Roman had to work with when they took over in 2011

* Last year, we ranked 11th in points scored and 11th in yards gained
* In 2011, we scored 380 points and lost the NFC Championship game in OT
* In 2012, we scored 397 points and were within a few yards of winning the Super Bowl

So yes, he's that good. Perspective is nice once and awhile.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's not very good when you are at the 5 yard line in the Super Bowl with 1 minute left.

or when calling option pitch to Ginn when leading late in the 4th quarter backed up against the goal line.
yes lets put the ball into ginns hands in that situation
The Ginn call backed up to the goal line, the 3 plays to get the ball into the Endzone in SB from the 5 yd line....ok, those were awful. The Pats game was superb. Follow that up with the SEA game(Yeah i know it was across country and 3 days rest), and you get the impression of a schizoid OC. Great one moment, horrid the next. The most surprising screw up of all tho, was at the 5 yd line and neither roman nor JH had any idea what plays to call from there.(Keep in mind that JH had done some clock killing previously to prevent ravens from getting another shot at scoring...and I believe JH blew a T.O.). The fact that we were right there, with the SB won....IF we had a play to score from the 5 yd line in 3 tries. And the awful truth is roman didn't . The OC...and he had no idea how to score from the 5....WOW.

Look, i am just delighted with our HC and like roman. It is just inconceivable, however, that NEITHER had any idea on how to score from the 5 with time running out. We are incredibly lucky to have Coach H, fangio and roman. We haven't had a staff this good in 15 yrs., maybe a bit longer. I've said before that our coaches were just green and that is what lost the game for us. That doesn't mean i hunger for noln , BM or er-wreck-son, but it does mean our guys have done a fantastic job, but without experience, they have gotten tripped up...in NFCC and SB. Doesn't make 'em bad, but they have, thru inexperience, made some moves that cost us dearly. No i don't want to go back to where we used to be. I do hope, however, that next time we are at the 5 yd line, that both JH and roman each have 4 plays in mind on which we score. You know Coach Walsh would have. That is the only thing keeping these coaches from glory...inexperience...which i assume will be substantially better and good enough to get us over the line this yr...when i think we win it all.
The title of the post is, "Greg Roman, is he really good?"

YES he is - thanks Ghost for the facts.

Is he perfect? NO. Like everyone he needs to improve and he has and I'm sure he'll continue to get better.

I think this year will be his best.
He's okay. Colin makes him look like a genius though. Colin could succeed in any scheme, he is just that type of talent. Roman is a great offensive mind, and I think anticipates situations well...but, I think if you put him on a team with less talent...obvioiusly the results would be much different.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
He's okay. Colin makes him look like a genius though. Colin could succeed in any scheme, he is just that type of talent. Roman is a great offensive mind, and I think anticipates situations well...but, I think if you put him on a team with less talent...obvioiusly the results would be much different.

The irony in that statement is players truely are only as good as there coaching staff, and coaches are only as good as the players playing for them.
  • tsty
  • Veteran
Interesting point but if Roman had left for Jacksonville, the offense would be the same because it would be flowing through Harbaugh again. The irony is that you're only as good as your last play....call three run plays next time Roman.
Originally posted by tsty:
Interesting point but if Roman had left for Jacksonville, the offense would be the same because it would be flowing through Harbaugh again. The irony is that you're only as good as your last play....call three run plays next time Roman.

And if he had called three run plays that didn't work, every arm-chair QB would be saying he should've called 3 pass plays. And if one of those pass plays had worked, he'd be hailed as a genius. The line between success and failure in the NFL is extremely thin.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I think he's a lot better than some people give him credit for. IMO, he is good. He's not great, but he can be... this season, he's going to do better.

"Greg Roman, is he really good?"

At times, he was the best there ever was when it came to being F*****G CUTE!

C'mon Roman, quit the bull crap, let's go!!
Originally posted by cciowa:
He's not very good when you are at the 5 yard line in the Super Bowl with 1 minute left.

or when calling option pitch to Ginn when leading late in the 4th quarter backed up against the goal line.

That was a pretty strange call. I would NEVER, EVER pitch a ball anywhere on the field to Ted Ginn. Now LaMichael James maybe. At least he is used to that situation and has experience on how to handle backwards pitches and knows all the angles for the pitch and quickly finding the running lanes afterward. That play with Ginn just makes no sense at all.

nfc championship and superbowl in last 2 years. Yes he's very good, better than majority in the league
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

That was a pretty strange call. I would NEVER, EVER pitch a ball anywhere on the field to Ted Ginn. Now LaMichael James maybe. At least he is used to that situation and has experience on how to handle backwards pitches and knows all the angles for the pitch and quickly finding the running lanes afterward. That play with Ginn just makes no sense at all.
the lowlilghts of the year were the super bowl and the two losses to the rams. ( yes i know what the score was of the first game) missed field goals, dips**t walker and coaching factored into all three in one way or another
No
been overrated for a long time.
Share 49ersWebzone