LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

I'll reiterate what I said about the draft at the beginning of the season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
I think Jenkins and James will be good players but I'm starting to wonder if they were bad picks, with respect to our situation and where we took them.

I find it very difficult to believe we took them with the assumption they would be essentially red-shirting. That seems very dumb to me, and I'd like to believe Baalke knows what he's doing. Why would he do that?

This rookie playing-time ordeal is vexing, and one more annoying thing to think about this week as we reflect on a game that might have been a big dose of reality, a barometer of how good we really are.

This. The Giants are absolutely loaded at WR and still found ways to get Randle out on the field. I understand maybe taking 1 guy and letting him sit...but 2 guys with your top 2 picks when there were plenty of other players who could contribute almost immediately? Mind-boggling.

I could be wrong but we have WR & RB depth, them not playing is not the reasoned we lost.
very true very true
This. The Giants are absolutely loaded at WR and still found ways to get Randle out on the field. I understand maybe taking 1 guy and letting him sit...but 2 guys with your top 2 picks when there were plenty of other players who could contribute almost immediately? Mind-boggling.

They still go with 5 WR's like us. Same amount of RB's too. Id like to see Jenkins suit up over Ginn to be honest. Williams and Hunter can handle return duties and Ginn is rarely ever on offense.
Originally posted by calinig4life:
I could be wrong but we have WR & RB depth, them not playing is not the reasoned we lost.

LOL......you don't think having another OLB, a rotational 3-4 DE or another CB who DO play would be more beneficial than a 6th string WR and a 5th string RB that DON'T play?
I think Jenkins and James will be good players but I'm starting to wonder if they were bad picks, with respect to our situation and where we took them.

I find it very difficult to believe we took them with the assumption they would be essentially red-shirting. That seems very dumb to me, and I'd like to believe Baalke knows what he's doing. Why would he do that?

This rookie playing-time ordeal is vexing, and one more annoying thing to think about this week as we reflect on a game that might have been a big dose of reality, a barometer of how good we really are.

read the bold

who here said that's the reason we lost?

I think the point here is the VERY FACT of having depth at WR and RB makes the picks questionable, and, indirectly, influencing our gamedays. Why you ask? Because those same two picks might have been better used in areas without as much depth. God i wanted jenoris jenkins sooooo bad.

This team has some issues that were evidenced in Minn and today. Two good teams. When your team has issues, it's fair game to bring up any and all things that contribute to losing.
  • Antix
  • Veteran

LOL......you don't think having another OLB, a rotational 3-4 DE or another CB who DO play would be more beneficial than a 6th string WR and a 5th string RB that DON'T play?

If you recall, everybody on this board was clamoring for more WR depth after the Championshp game last year. What were we not clamoring for? More pass rush, especially after the hurting we put on the Giants.

So it's easy to say this in retrospect after one blow out loss, but it's not what we needed at the time Our D was dominant, our O, not so much. I find the whole premise of this thread to be an overreaction, but it's expected.
Offensively I thought our game plan sucked. Roman got to cute again like in the NFC championship trying to throw a lot and not running the ball more. You au to your identity and trengths and he Niners did not do that today. Defensively I don't know what the deal is. Our pass rush has disappeared and secondary is being exposed too much. They need fix it in the next couple days. I hope we take out out anger on the sea chickens.
I think you forget that we lost Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming for the season. Both were significant parts of our plan for 2012 in terms of OLB depth. We also grabbed Cam Johnson late but he isn't ready yet. It's just a bad stroke of events. Hopefully we fix this situation soon. Aldon doesn't look ready for a full-time role
Originally posted by Antix:

If you recall, everybody on this board was clamoring for more WR depth after the Championshp game last year. What were we not clamoring for? More pass rush, especially after the hurting we put on the Giants.

So it's easy to say this in retrospect after one blow out loss, but it's not what we needed at the time Our D was dominant, our O, not so much. I find the whole premise of this thread to be an overreaction, but it's expected.

the point you're trying to make is clear, but with all due respect, its pretty weak when you consider the facts at the time of the draft..by this point, we had formed the WR corps we are seeing today.

Moss and Manningham were both signed prior to drafting AJ.

Sure, we thought our D was dominant (and it will be most often), but even last year we knew our depth at DL was suspect.

and finally, why a RB in round 2? were we weak at RB last year?

so no, this thread is not an overreaction, but a very warranted criticism.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
We're fine.

the point you're trying to make is clear, but with all due respect, its pretty weak when you consider the facts at the time of the draft..by this point, we had formed the WR corps we are seeing today.

Moss and Manningham were both signed prior to drafting AJ.

Sure, we thought our D was dominant (and it will be most often), but even last year we knew our depth at DL was suspect.

and finally, why a RB in round 2? were we weak at RB last year?

so no, this thread is not an overreaction, but a very warranted criticism.

Exactly, if they were going to draft a WR in the 1st round, you would have hope they would have gotten someone who can get into the mix and contribute, 1st rounders aren't supposed to be projects. If they thought Jenkins wouldn't ready to contribute, there were a dozen other options available for them out there.
Share 49ersWebzone