There are 152 users in the forums

I'll reiterate what I said about the draft at the beginning of the season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
49ers screwed up, got way too cocky taking 2 guys who aren't even active on gameday right now. Their depth at OLB is extremely lacking and it has shown in the lack of a pass rush against better teams. Not a single sack against the Giants is utterly embarrassing. This team lacks depth at 3-4 DE and OLB, both of those positions would be helpful in terms of having a solid rotation to keep other guys fresh, this defense is not getting the same push it was at times last year and this is 2 games this season that they've looked absolutely tired and a few steps too slow on defense. With how competitive the NFL is, I don't think any team can afford to have 1st and 2nd rounders not contribute whatsoever.

I think their performances last year made them a cocky, having seen Justin Smith physically beast and dominate people and the DL getting a ton of pass rush heat in the playoffs, unlike teams like the Giants and the Ravens, this team doesn't have the depth and ability to rotate guys in and out like a 3-4 team should.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers screwed up, got way too cocky taking 2 guys who aren't even active on gameday right now. Their depth at OLB is extremely lacking and it has shown in the lack of a pass rush against better teams. Not a single sack against the Giants is utterly embarrassing. This team lacks depth at 3-4 DE and OLB, both of those positions would be helpful in terms of having a solid rotation to keep other guys fresh, this defense is not getting the same push it was at times last year and this is 2 games this season that they've looked absolutely tired and a few steps too slow on defense. With how competitive the NFL is, I don't think any team can afford to have 1st and 2nd rounders not contribute whatsoever.

I think their performances last year made them a cocky, having seen Justin Smith physically beast and dominate people and the DL getting a ton of pass rush heat in the playoffs, unlike teams like the Giants and the Ravens, this team doesn't have the depth and ability to rotate guys in and out like a 3-4 team should.

I think you're right.

I was just thinking about this. Having our 1st + 2nd round picks INACTIVE when you see guys like AJ Green... rookie starting every game.
If they were worth that pick they should at least be active.

To be fair, one of our DL picks this year was got hurt - so that sucks. But at least right now it seems like a waste.
Not having your 2 1st draft picks contribute in any sort of way will at some point set back your franchise. Even down multiple scores they running 2 wr sets. I mean at what point will Jenkins even be put in a position to make any plays.
I think the 49ers should draft a 1st round defensive nose tackle in 2013.The 49ers need more depth in the defensive line so the 49ers defence can rotate thier defensive lineman
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not having your 2 1st draft picks contribute in any sort of way will at some point set back your franchise. Even down multiple scores they running 2 wr sets. I mean at what point will Jenkins even be put in a position to make any plays.

But to be fair, the 49ers are stacked in the RB dept. I don't know what they're doing in the WR core....

so they knew Fleming and Haralson would go down during the draft? I would say we need a CB, DE and OLB pass rushers in the draft... weapons on offense... good bye delanie, hello big tall pass catching TE if I was in charge... at WR I move on from Moss and Ginn, draft a big tall physical wr to go with the speedy crabtree, manningham, jenkins, williams... also Special teams aces wanted
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 14, 2012 at 4:33 PM ]

I heard they struggle in routes under 5 yards, keeping them off the field
Originally posted by Garcia:
I think you're right.

I was just thinking about this. Having our 1st + 2nd round picks INACTIVE when you see guys like AJ Green... rookie starting every game.
If they were worth that pick they should at least be active.

To be fair, one of our DL picks this year was got hurt - so that sucks. But at least right now it seems like a waste.

This isn't like the 1980's where a few teams ruled, there's so much parity that you can't afford to just redshirt 1st and 2nd round draft picks outside of a quarterback. If you draft guys, they've got to contribute and unless Harbaugh was planning on just walking through this season and really going after it next year, they could have easily used one of those picks on a defensive player that WOULD be contributing game in and game out.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
so they knew Fleming and Haralson would go down during the draft? I would say we need a CB, DE and OLB pass rushers in the draft... weapons on offense... good bye delanie, hello big tall pass catching TE if I was in charge... at WR I move on from Moss and Ginn, draft a big tall physical wr to go with the speedy crabtree, manningham, jenkins, williams... also Special teams aces wanted

I think its nuts that the 49ers have pretty much gotten nothing from this draft. They drafted a whole bunch of players and none of them are contributor this team, as compared to last year's draft where you had Aldon, Culliver and more........its not just that the 1st and 2nd round picks aren't contributing, its that pretty much none of them are.
There were very few positions on this team that a rookie would have come in and started or got significant playing time at. Despite the severe whipping we got today, our team is very solidly built and has great depth. Today much like the Vikings game we just got whipped. What is more disturbing is that in the first half this was actually a very close game. However, I really felt like we came out from halftime seeming defeated and lacking energy. I am not sure if our guys just didnt have our head in it today or what. We were throughly outcoached, outplayed and plain beat up today, 2 rookie players more then likely would have done very little to change that.

Originally posted by pdizo916:

But to be fair, the 49ers are stacked in the RB dept. I don't know what they're doing in the WR core....
I have know issue with then drafting a wr, my issue is that they don't use him. And after watching the game plans so far this year it appears that they didn't plan on really using him at all. I mean it's not like there are tons of passing opportunities being taken by other guys. Teams that have long term success win by drafting guys that come in and contribute right in some capacity. I mean these guys aren't even getting a shot to work out the rookie mistakes.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
There were very few positions on this team that a rookie would have come in and started or got significant playing time at. Despite the severe whipping we got today, our team is very solidly built and has great depth. Today much like the Vikings game we just got whipped. What is more disturbing is that in the first half this was actually a very close game. However, I really felt like we came out from halftime seeming defeated and lacking energy. I am not sure if our guys just didnt have our head in it today or what. We were throughly outcoached, outplayed and plain beat up today, 2 rookie players more then likely would have done very little to change that.
True aswell.
  • Apone
  • Veteran

I would agree. I think Harbaugh and co. really need to check their ego's and stop falling in love with there schemes and what not, because it's not fooling anyone not the talented teams.The draft picks I agree waste. The fact that you haven't gotten any contributions from anyone of them is horrid.
Originally posted by Apone:

I would agree. I think Harbaugh and co. really need to check their ego's and stop falling in love with there schemes and what not, because it's not fooling anyone not the talented teams.The draft picks I agree waste. The fact that you haven't gotten any contributions from anyone of them is horrid.
You guys are completely reaching at straws here
oh they just showed buster posey, now theres a true leader of a team.
Share 49ersWebzone