LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ace52
  • Veteran
The Bears game gave me a glimmer of hope that our passing attack has evolved to the next level, but then the next 2 games have brought me back to reality.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Excellent analysis, as usual.

It appears to me that Roman started out with the WCO and has added his own wrinkles in the run game aspect of it, to the point where it no longer looks like the WCO.

As to the passing part of the WCO, it doesn't seem that Roman is as adept at utilizing all of it--but part of the delay in implementing it has been the lack (last season) of a WR corps that completely understood the WCO and was capable of executing it. For example, we never saw many slants to WRs last season, at least the slant play seems to be more a regular part of the game plans this season. Same with the checkdown to the FB--we hardly ever saw that last year, but saw it several times in the recent Rams game.

So I'd say that yes, you're absolutely correct in demanding that Roman go back and utilize more of the attack that Bill Walsh made famous. But I'd also suggest that the QBs (Smith AND CK) and receivers are still learning all the fine points and subtle details of the WCO passing attack, and that Roman is still learning how to mesh that passing attack with the running game.

Its correct, is it not, that the passing game aspect of the offense is more complex and complicated than the running attack, and might take more time for all the players to "get it." Any OC is going to be limited by his players' ability to completely understand and execute the offense. This team is still on the upswing, and we have to give some credit to the fact that they're winning while they're still learning and improving.

Bottom line for me: if Akers had not missed two FGs in OT, the team would be 10 and 2 this season, and went 13-3 last season--while still "getting better everyday." I expect they'll continue to improve, and that we haven't seen the best yet.

Thank you, again, for your analysis. You do a great job of observing and figuring out what's going on down on the field, and an equally great job of explaining your points.

OND! The voice of reason...

Message heard loud and clear: patience. It's true, we now need to be patient with the new QB, Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, etc. are still in their first year in this offense, when targeted, VD can be explosive. Our run game tends to be genius most of the time.

My biggest concern is the lack of growth in the passing game, even while they are learning (excellent point). And the repeated mistakes (penalties, drops, poor angles on blocking, poor pass protection, no vertical shots, few WCO plays, horrendous play calling at inopportune times, etc.) and not learning from teams that have beat us (Giants & Rams). Are we really learning from our mistakes...growing?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop

12 A-State, Cal, Colo, FIU, KentState, Southern Miss, Temple, Tenn, USF, UTEP, WMU, Wisc MT @SteveHarpe: how many FBS HC jobs r available?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Excellent analysis, as usual.

It appears to me that Roman started out with the WCO and has added his own wrinkles in the run game aspect of it, to the point where it no longer looks like the WCO.

As to the passing part of the WCO, it doesn't seem that Roman is as adept at utilizing all of it--but part of the delay in implementing it has been the lack (last season) of a WR corps that completely understood the WCO and was capable of executing it. For example, we never saw many slants to WRs last season, at least the slant play seems to be more a regular part of the game plans this season. Same with the checkdown to the FB--we hardly ever saw that last year, but saw it several times in the recent Rams game.

So I'd say that yes, you're absolutely correct in demanding that Roman go back and utilize more of the attack that Bill Walsh made famous. But I'd also suggest that the QBs (Smith AND CK) and receivers are still learning all the fine points and subtle details of the WCO passing attack, and that Roman is still learning how to mesh that passing attack with the running game.

Its correct, is it not, that the passing game aspect of the offense is more complex and complicated than the running attack, and might take more time for all the players to "get it." Any OC is going to be limited by his players' ability to completely understand and execute the offense. This team is still on the upswing, and we have to give some credit to the fact that they're winning while they're still learning and improving.

Bottom line for me: if Akers had not missed two FGs in OT, the team would be 10 and 2 this season, and went 13-3 last season--while still "getting better everyday." I expect they'll continue to improve, and that we haven't seen the best yet.

Thank you, again, for your analysis. You do a great job of observing and figuring out what's going on down on the field, and an equally great job of explaining your points.

Message heard loud and clear: patience. It's true, we now need to be patient with the new QB, Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, etc. are still in their first year in this offense, when targeted, VD can be explosive. Our run game tends to be genius most of the time.

My biggest concern is the lack of growth in the passing game, even while they are learning (excellent point). And the repeated mistakes (penalties, drops, poor angles on blocking, poor pass protection, no vertical shots, few WCO plays, horrendous play calling at inopportune times, etc.) and not learning from teams that have beat us (Giants & Rams). Are we really learning from our mistakes...growing?
I think you raise many valid points and concerns. And your analysis shows that you have a great knowledge and understanding of NFL football. (I'm a little jealous.)

I believe you're also correct that we all need more patience. Face it, we were spoiled in the past, and then starved for quality coaching for a decade or so.

So now, when things have finally turned around, we want them to be like they were in the 80s and 90s right now, immediately!

Lots of fans expect a Superbowl win this year. Much as I'd love to see that, I'm going to be happy if they just make the playoffs again. I believe that another Superbowl win is coming, but it may be next year, or even the year after, before realistic expectations should be that high. IMHO.

In the interim, watching the team grow and improve is alot of fun, although some of the repeated mistakes you point out are frustrating to watch at times. Its still great that guys like you take the time to post critiques and analysis, point out areas of weakness and problems to address, as well as discussing strengths and improvements.

Posts like that make NinerTalk worth reading. IMHO.
I think you raise many valid points and concerns. And your analysis shows that you have a great knowledge and understanding of NFL football. (I'm a little jealous.)

I believe you're also correct that we all need more patience. Face it, we were spoiled in the past, and then starved for quality coaching for a decade or so.

So now, when things have finally turned around, we want them to be like they were in the 80s and 90s right now, immediately!

Lots of fans expect a Superbowl win this year. Much as I'd love to see that, I'm going to be happy if they just make the playoffs again. I believe that another Superbowl win is coming, but it may be next year, or even the year after, before realistic expectations should be that high. IMHO.

In the interim, watching the team grow and improve is alot of fun, although some of the repeated mistakes you point out are frustrating to watch at times. Its still great that guys like you take the time to post critiques and analysis, point out areas of weakness and problems to address, as well as discussing strengths and improvements.

Ahhhhh schucks (kicking can).

And likewise OND. Where have you been anyhow?

Gregexcuses. Look at teams like the Redskins and the Colts, also with a lot of new pieces and they seem to do be doing quite okay with rookie signal-callers even. The whole "we need stability" mantra is worn old, it may help with precision and moving a Top 10 offense into the Top 5, but when you're talking about an offense at the very bottom of the NFL in passing, player familiarity all of a sudden is going to push that offense up to the top, there's some fundamentally wrong and usually playcalling is a big part of it.
In 4 out of 12 games so far this season Roman's offense has produced games with 13 - 3 - 13 - 13 offensive point totals.

Fail!

Ahhhhh schucks (kicking can).

And likewise OND. Where have you been anyhow?
lol. Didn't mean to embarrass.

This work thing has kinda kept me busy these past six months or so. I sometimes have time to read, but not always time to post.
lol. Didn't mean to embarrass.

This work thing has kinda kept me busy these past six months or so. I sometimes have time to read, but not always time to post.

Haha!

No worries...we just miss your insight and posts but such is life! Don't work too hard and get in the game when you can!
ESPN's College Football Blogger Travis Haney was just on SportsCenter. He says 49ers' OC Greg Roman could be a possibility at Tennessee. He added that "Roman has been trying to break into the college football ranks."

@TravHaneyESPN: New Vols short list: Fedora (might make another run), Taggart, Greg Roman, Pelini, maybe even Butch Jones.
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM ]

He can run his risky own-goal line pitches there.

Really unhappy with him and Harbaugh and these Ramfailures. Not panicking, not calling for change, but let's focus on the goal: a deep playoff run, not some stupid college job.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jayson Swain‏@JaysonSwain

Greg Roman wants it... Fire up the damn plane, get that ass to San Francisco and bring us back a coach and quit effin this up

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247

One more thing, actually. What's wrong with Greg Roman? Might be a great hire. Call him. Quickly.
nice....the dude is back
Apparently Greg Roman has connections to Tennessee. (I want to say his wife?)
he can sign alex smith to be his qb ( enroll him as phil jenniings)
Share 49ersWebzone