There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

I agree he may be the most overrated OC right now.
Wow. You guys should read Cohn's column. I don't like him as a journalist but I find it hard to disagree with him.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20121203/SPORTS/121209904/1010/SPORTS?p=all&tc=pgall

One thing I would add to this is that Roman has not schemed new ways to get Vernon the ball in over a month. That's inexcusable.
If he doesn't get a hc job at the end of the season im sure he'll be back.

In the off season i hope he puts most of his time into developing his pass game philosophy, personnel management, even reevaluate his own inability to adjust on the fly when plan A fails. Idk use some of those fbi/cia education skills, water board himself into submission or something. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Sad to say i now expect him to do cute ish at the wrong time.

He has a video room full of gold to help aide him in improving his craft, especially when it comes the passing attack.

USE IT!! USE IT!!
We can blame Roman all we want, and i agree ith most that has been said about him, but when it comes down to it, the buck stops with Harbaugh.

He needs to take a more hands on approach to Roman, the game plan, and the play calls. Simple as that. Ultimately its all on Harbaugh. I love the guys passion for the game, but running around high fiveing your players and yelling at the referees only gets you so far.

This is his team. Its time for him to make his imprint on the offense.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Seriously, it's become so obvious by this stage that ROMAN (maybe he's adhering to Harbaugh's offensive philosophy here too though), despite two different QB's with different skill sets, makes them look identical.

This is great! Very funny...er...on second thought, not so funny!
I don't know about you guys, but to me it doesn't seem like our offense sets up defenses for plays later in the game. For instance we were killing the Rams with the slants all day long. Where the hell was the pump fake to the slant and go (slugo)? We also run that sweep to the right with 2 full backs 2 te a lot. Why not run a counter in that same formation after running that play 2 - 3 times? I don't get it.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
I don't know about you guys, but to me it doesn't seem like our offense sets up defenses for plays later in the game. For instance we were killing the Rams with the slants all day long. Where the hell was the pump fake to the slant and go (slugo)? We also run that sweep to the right with 2 full backs 2 te a lot. Why not run a counter in that same formation after running that play 2 - 3 times? I don't get it.

Excellent point. And here's another one for everyone here...

OT 4:20 (ironic isn't it?) mark, 3rd and 6 on the Rams 33. THIS play results in the long ass 51 yarder which, BTW: Akers missed by a yard right.

Formation (are you KIDDING ME?):

OL: Staley - A.Davis - Iupati - Goodwin - Boone (VD)

Wide left = Crabtree
Inside left = Walker
Right = Nobody (VD stayed into block)
Backfield = Gore & Miller

It's a DESIGNED roll left (for a right handed QB) on the most critical play of OT going for the win. Look at that OL. CK takes the snap and immediately starts rolling left. Naturally Staley is driven 7 yards backwards and releases his man into CK and Davis holds his guy for a second and then also releases. The ONLY two defenders on that side both break through and CK has to throw it away. Meanwhile Boone stoned his man and BOTH Gore and Miller block to the right (nobody really to block). Goodwin and the right interior hold off their men well.

Walker runs a lazy, straight-to-left curl route 17 yards down field. The ONLY real receiving option is Crabtree on the sideline who runs a lazy 4 yard stopper and somewhat rolls back away from the sideline. What's funny is that Crabtree throws his hands up at CK like, "WTF man?!" CK was under duress and launched it 10 yards over everyone like it was a pitch-back to Ginn earlier in the game.

This is such an epic fail on so many levels, I genuinely don't even know where to start!

• Alignment - WTF is A.Davis playing LEFT G for next to Iupati? And if this is a designed roll-out, why are BOTH backs blocking to the right side? Why are you asking your left-handed QB to throw left? Why are you asking Walker to streak and curl 17 yards down the field, in essence, eliminating ANY possible receiving option by him. If it's a designed roll left, why isn't Crabtree pushing for about 10 yards and coming back around the 6 yard marker for the 1st down? The irony in this is that the middle of the pocket was wide open to step up in for days...except, CK wouldn't have had any receiving options. Also, why would you line VD up on the right side to block when you need your best blockers on the left side for the left roll out? CK rolled right into the pressure (something I'm seeing more and more of)
  • Situation Awareness - There was none. You only need to get 6 yards for the 1st down on a CB who's been playing 10 yards off all game long; even on the throw-away Jenkins wasn't within 2 full yards of Crabtree. You only need 3-5 yards to give Akers a better shot at the FG. Also, the incomplete pass stopped the clock. The Rams won with 2 seconds left. Isn't Akers hurt? You may want to give the guy a little easier kick fellas.
  • Overall - THIS may have been the 2nd worst call of the game. I'm flabbergasted by how epically bad this play call was, to the odd alignment, to the lack of situational awareness and poor, lazy execution that lead to Akers miss right (by a yard).
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
So it was 2nd and 20, we lined up with almost all our weapons, and Roman calls a draw play to Gore, result was like 1 yard, lol

I bet you I would own Greg Roman if he played me in Madden!

6 yr olds can outwit him at Madden.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
College jobs are filling up fast... Not looking good for Roman getting one
Originally posted by Jcool:
College jobs are filling up fast... Not looking good for Roman getting one

I can work some magic, turn post #217 into a brilliant play call and market him out ASAP! I bet I can get him some interviews...
Excellent point. And here's another one for everyone here...

OT 4:20 (ironic isn't it?) mark, 3rd and 6 on the Rams 33. THIS play results in the long ass 51 yarder which, BTW: Akers missed by a yard right.

Formation (are you KIDDING ME?):

OL: Staley - A.Davis - Iupati - Goodwin - Boone (VD)

Wide left = Crabtree
Inside left = Walker
Right = Nobody (VD stayed into block)
Backfield = Gore & Miller

It's a DESIGNED roll left (for a right handed QB) on the most critical play of OT going for the win. Look at that OL. CK takes the snap and immediately starts rolling left. Naturally Staley is driven 7 yards backwards and releases his man into CK and Davis holds his guy for a second and then also releases. The ONLY two defenders on that side both break through and CK has to throw it away. Meanwhile Boone stoned his man and BOTH Gore and Miller block to the right (nobody really to block). Goodwin and the right interior hold off their men well.

Walker runs a lazy, straight-to-left curl route 17 yards down field. The ONLY real receiving option is Crabtree on the sideline who runs a lazy 4 yard stopper and somewhat rolls back away from the sideline. What's funny is that Crabtree throws his hands up at CK like, "WTF man?!" CK was under duress and launched it 10 yards over everyone like it was a pitch-back to Ginn earlier in the game.

This is such an epic fail on so many levels, I genuinely don't even know where to start!

• Alignment - WTF is A.Davis playing LEFT G for next to Iupati? And if this is a designed roll-out, why are BOTH backs blocking to the right side? Why are you asking your left-handed QB to throw left? Why are you asking Walker to streak and curl 17 yards down the field, in essence, eliminating ANY possible receiving option by him. If it's a designed roll left, why isn't Crabtree pushing for about 10 yards and coming back around the 6 yard marker for the 1st down? The irony in this is that the middle of the pocket was wide open to step up in for days...except, CK wouldn't have had any receiving options. Also, why would you line VD up on the right side to block when you need your best blockers on the left side for the left roll out? CK rolled right into the pressure (something I'm seeing more and more of)
  • Situation Awareness - There was none. You only need to get 6 yards for the 1st down on a CB who's been playing 10 yards off all game long; even on the throw-away Jenkins wasn't within 2 full yards of Crabtree. You only need 3-5 yards to give Akers a better shot at the FG. Also, the incomplete pass stopped the clock. The Rams won with 2 seconds left. Isn't Akers hurt? You may want to give the guy a little easier kick fellas.
  • Overall - THIS may have been the 2nd worst call of the game. I'm flabbergasted by how epically bad this play call was, to the odd alignment, to the lack of situational awareness and poor, lazy execution that lead to Akers miss right (by a yard).

Ya the designed roll out left play for a right handed QB i also caught it and it really really pissed me off that Roman called that bone headed play! Just pathetic!

Lets get a real OC for 2013 the guy running New England's offense he is excellent Josh McDaniels.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Ya the designed roll out left play for a right handed QB i also caught it and it really really pissed me off that Roman called that bone headed play! Just pathetic!

Lets get a real OC for 2013 the guy running New England's offense he is excellent Josh McDaniels.

Seriously! I was only casually watching it and that play jumped out to me like the Ginn play. Then I had to watch it 2 dozen times to believe what I was seeing.

Singletary: "I gotta watch the tape."
Well I watched the tape and I'm disturbed.

Is this really a championship offense?
Seriously! I was only casually watching it and that play jumped out to me like the Ginn play. Then I had to watch it 2 dozen times to believe what I was seeing.

Ya i ain't drinking the Roman kool-aid again this year

49ers - 20th in NFL in 3rd down conversions...25th in NFL in passing offense

Like i said lets zero in on a real OC for 2013 Patriots Josh McDaniels
Originally posted by SkyGod:

Not to mention on that roll out you only have 1/3 of the field to work with. You can't go middle or right side of the field. It just limited our options for where the ball could go. Stupid play call. I was screaming at my TV the second the ball was snapped.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Not to mention on that roll out you only have 1/3 of the field to work with. You can't go middle or right side of the field. It just limited our options for where the ball could go. Stupid play call. I was screaming at my TV the second the ball was snapped.

Roman also likes to run too many pitchouts and sweeps to the short side of the field which also drives me nutz