LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Rewatched the game and can highlight some good play-calling to Kaep's strengths (dumbed-down offense) but man, when it mattered, Roman absolutely called the worst plays possible and Harbaugh looked pissed! Rarely can you say, under these circumstances (Alex out), an OC cost you a game but in this case, he did. Absolutely.

hopefully he gets a college head coaching job in the off season.

That sounds like a realistic option. I've seen that look on Harbaugh's face before. I wonder what the contingency plan would be if he did leave b/c this is SUCH a unique and odd offense. It's not like you can just bring in another WCO guy here. It would have to be Harbaugh or Jeep Chrysler Dodge taking over. Alex himself (ala Manning)?
That sounds like a realistic option. I've seen that look on Harbaugh's face before. I wonder what the contingency plan would be if he did leave b/c this is SUCH a unique and odd offense. It's not like you can just bring in another WCO guy here. It would have to be Harbaugh or Jeep Chrysler Dodge taking over. Alex himself (ala Manning)?

Another full offseason? YES.. I believe Alex could call his own plays.. with some advice and assistance from his OC and of course Jim.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Rewatched the game and can highlight some good play-calling to Kaep's strengths (dumbed-down offense) but man, when it mattered, Roman absolutely called the worst plays possible and Harbaugh looked pissed! Rarely can you say, under these circumstances (Alex out), an OC cost you a game but in this case, he did. Absolutely.

hopefully he gets a college head coaching job in the off season.

My guess would be Jeep Chrysler Dodge. lol
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Another full offseason? YES.. I believe Alex could call his own plays.. with some advice and assistance from his OC and of course Jim.

The way Alex's brain works, I'd LOVE to see him have total control.
My guess would be Jeep Chrysler Dodge. lol

Only in 'merica!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Idk if harbaugh has been wearing the headset lately but if he hasn't then that needs to change
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Been saying since week 2 if he gonna keep this crap up let him walk. This cute crap has no business in NFL especially when we are a top contender. RUN THE DAMN BALL how f**king hard is it dude seriously.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hopefully Roman gets his head out of his ass and calls a good game tonight.

The problem with Roman is that even if he calls a good game tonight we don't know what we are going to get next game because Roman is capable of reverting right back to full retard at any time that is his history he's very inconsistent.

Roman has got to start showing an ability to get the ball into the hands of his best players as well Roman has also got to start showing he can make adjustments with his playcalling as the game dictates. I'd like to see Ginn get some passes and reverse sweeps like we ran last year dude can still fly and wants the ball.

Bottomline if Roman doesn't start improving as the teams OC it falls back on Harbaugh to make a change. There is no question Roman is holding back our offense with subpar NFL playcalling.
Originally posted by SkyGod:

The problem with Roman is that even if he calls a good game tonight we don't know what we are going to get next game because Roman is capable of reverting right back to full retard at any time that is his history he's very inconsistent.

Roman has got to start showing an ability to get the ball into the hands of his best players as well Roman has also got to start showing he can make adjustments with his playcalling as the game dictates. I'd like to see Ginn get some passes and reverse sweeps like we ran last year dude can still fly and wants the ball.

Bottomline if Roman doesn't start improving as the teams OC it falls back on Harbaugh to make a change. There is no question Roman is holding back our offense with subpar NFL playcalling.

Agreed on many levels. That said, I do recognize he's still only 1.5 years into installing the WCO and we do have, still, many new parts esp. at WR. But tonight will be the greatest test of the year of his ability to call a game and produce an effective game plan with CK in there. The offense won't change but he should call a few more plays to his particular skill set; plays where CK is to roll out or be on the move...minimize the field and complex decisions. I'd expect many passing plays to be one read and go with a heavy focus on protecting the ball!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM ]

Originally posted by SkyGod:

This is the biggest issue to me. The idea that a defense can completely take away your most explosive player is nonsense to me. I'm not buying the whole use Vernon Davis and Randy Moss as decoys to open up things underneath for other guys argument. Other teams WANT us to do this. They would rather we put it in the hands of Delanie Walker and Kyle Williams as opposed to Davis and Moss. A great playcaller can get the ball in the hands of his best playmakers in spite of what the defense is doing. Roman is good, but if he is to remain here he is going to have to improve in this area.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is the biggest issue to me. The idea that a defense can completely take away your most explosive player is nonsense to me. I'm not buying the whole use Vernon Davis and Randy Moss as decoys to open up things underneath for other guys argument. Other teams WANT us to do this. They would rather we put it in the hands of Delanie Walker and Kyle Williams as opposed to Davis and Moss. A great playcaller can get the ball in the hands of his best playmakers in spite of what the defense is doing. Roman is good, but if he is to remain here he is going to have to improve in this area.

Soooooo true! Back in the day when teams tried to take away JR, we got creative...even lined him up in the backfield. Anything to get the ball in his hands and get in rhythm with his QB.

And we have a ton of players who are dangerous with the ball in their hands: Hunter, Gore, Manningham, Moss, VD, Ginn, Williams, Crabtree and eventually, James and Jenkins. Hell, don't forget about a sneaky FB in Bruce Miller and perhaps, Jacobs too. No excuses really.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM ]
Normally I don't complain about play calling because it is often hindsight and I'm not an expert, but there have been a couple of plays that had me shaking my head. A slow developing handoff and run left trying to get outside when the other team is blitzing from the outside? I could definitely see a screen pass in that situation...but a slow developing run? Argh!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Our single noticeable screw up was the trick play that had Hunter looking to throw. Luckily Hunter saw it was busted and just ran out of bounds.
Props to Roman for finally having some balls tonight to let it rip and trust his play makers. But bigger props for FINALLY getting VD involved early and often. He designed probably close to a dozen plays for him as the primary target. Of the 8 targets by CK, 6 of those designs got VD in single coverage for big gains and a TD and one was in triple coverage in the EZ on a slight overthrow (he beat that) and the other was a tight window in double coverage. He was only targeted twice in the second half. But of those 8 targets, he caught 7 of them and that ties a high for receptions by any receiver this season!

Trent Dilfer/Steve Young on Roman's play calling/designs as a huge factor in this win: "A big part of it was play calling and design. I thought it was aggressive play calling that we have not seen...out of conservative sets...they got defined looks in the back end b/c of those personnel groupings."

BTW: I somewhat disagree...we saw similar designs against GB, Detroit and esp. Buffalo.

Steve: "Colin, early in the game, it looked to me like the play calling was aggressive. Did coach tell you coming into the game, Colin I'm gonna let you let it rip a little bit or did that come out of just the nature of how the game unfolded?"

CK: "That was part of the game plan. We wanted to block some things up, take some shots, things like that. But at the same time, we had a lot of good runs in there as well so we were just trying to be balanced...everything that they did (Bears defense), we game planned for."

Trent also made a good point about running these 4 WR sets, passing out of jumbo packages (he learned from the Rams game), multiple formations, the coaches probably felt comfortable that if our guys didn't beat the single coverage, CK could at least make things happen with his legs.

But as to game plan (alone), well done Roman, well done!

Charley Casserly: "I'm gonna go with Alex Smith (to give you the best chance to win), I'm gonna go with the veteran here. CK played well last night but what was interesting to me, he (CK) started off the game 8 for 8. Those are scripted plays...game plan. He started off the second half 2 of 3. That's half time adjustments..." He goes on to talk about how if he faces a more complex scheme, it will be significantly more difficult.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone