There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ESPN - Evidence Supports Gilbride's Claim

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...de-vs-harbaugh
Especially once I learned that Harbaugh's response came in the form of a statement released by the team hours ahead of his regularly scheduled Friday news conference, my first thought was something along the lines of, "Methinks he doth protest too much." And a few minutes later, with the help of a retweet from USA Today's Mike Garafolo, I saw something that backed me up.

It is this Sept. 6 piece from Football Outsiders, in which Item No. 3 uses clear film evidence to support FO's own conclusion that Smith is indeed coached to hold the jerseys of opposing guards and tackles: San Francisco's secret? Holding.

They have a pair of top-tier defensive ends in Justin Smith, arguably the best 3-4 lineman in the league right now, and Ray McDonald, one of the game's most underrated players. Those guys are taught to grab the left outside of the offensive guard's jersey or the right inside of the tackle's jersey.

The umpire and referee, who are tasked with holding on the interior line, often can't see this -- there is too much congestion in the middle of that action. They are standing in the backfield, and can't see through the offensive linemen to get a look at the defensive end's hands. The grabbing prevents the blockers from getting over quickly enough to pick up the stunting blitzer.

Are you f**k kidding me
[ Edited by 94605NiNer on Oct 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM ]
Gee...stuff happens in an NFL game that is against the rules? Shocked! As to being "coached" to do this...proof?

I have seen our OLinemen tackled by D Linemen from many teams...part of the game.
I just hope this b******t dosent have any effect on the Refs
This is all over the Niners v Giants pregame thread. Obviously when Justin pulls double he'll lock up for Aldon but his article is garbage. Justin Smith is held more than any DE in pro football and sometimes he holds to assist his LB's but he does it no where near the amount that the OL does it. I actually hope that the Refs pay more attention because I'm certain the Giants will be holding much more than Justin ever thought of.

GO NINERS!!!
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for KegBert.
That article is a joke.

Anyone else notice that the media (especially the national) likes to take a dig at Harbaugh every chance they get?

It probably has something to do with his attitude towards the media in general.

Still, it seems like they just reach for anything to make him look bad.
ahem:

Dan Graziano of our NFC East blog points to aFootball Outsiders piece from before the season. That piece claims Smith not only gets away with holding, but that the 49ers' coaches instruct their defensive linemen to play that way. Players work to get every edge they can get. Offensive linemen hold regularly and get away with it. Defensive backs try to shove around receivers. No one calls them cheaters for it. Smith is a dominant player, period. Gilbride's comments should not diminish that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/78053/harbaugh-vs-gilbride-nfc-west-addendum
wow
He gets held 1000 times more than he holds so football outsiders and Gillbride both can f**k off.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
ahem:

Dan Graziano of our NFC East blog points to aFootball Outsiders piece from before the season. That piece claims Smith not only gets away with holding, but that the 49ers' coaches instruct their defensive linemen to play that way. Players work to get every edge they can get. Offensive linemen hold regularly and get away with it. Defensive backs try to shove around receivers. No one calls them cheaters for it. Smith is a dominant player, period. Gilbride's comments should not diminish that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/78053/harbaugh-vs-gilbride-nfc-west-addendum

Big surprise, the NFC East Blog writer is talking S**t. This guy is garbage and he is regurgitating anything that he hears, obviously he wants to keep his job . Mark Sando sung a different tune and I expect the giants to make a big deal out of it because they are that scared. Seriously, this goes on every game, and the Giants OC calls out a player before a week 6 matchup!? They are definitely afraid of our team and expect to lose, they're just trying every ploy they can at this point to keep form getting embarrassed.
Gilbride has a vagina
So Dan Graziano's theory is that we hold linemen so that All Done and Brooks can blitz freely off a stunt... let's see what excuses they have come Sunday.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Oct 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM ]
Guess Justin Smith will just have to bull rush them.
As Teddy Brush Bruschi says, "I'll take the 49ers to win, and Justin Smith will do plenty of holding to help his LB's run free and those LB's will make the big plays". This is a big joke to everyone because everyone does it. As I said, the Giants are pulling out everything they can right now but it's nowhere near enough...Niners will win big.
It's true that D-lineman do sometimes hold up two offensive lineman so another defensive player can get a free rush. You see this a lot in line stunts.

This is nothing new though. It's part of the game and I can guarantee that no D-lineman are gonna get called for holding an O-lineman (unless they declare eligible and go out for a pass).

It's just Gilbride being a cry baby and possibly hoping to influence refs into not calling offensive holding.
This no story is getting WAY too much attention.