LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

* Our Offensive Line is Not Responsible for Alex Smith's High Sack Rate

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's see what we can do against the inflated Seattle and Arizona defensive lines before we decide if should hang the offensive line. Holding on to the ball might not be a wise idea when we play teams like them and other hard-hitters (Arizona in particular seems to be a bit chippy and hard-hitting). St. Louis can not be underestimated with Fisher's coaching expertise turning them around, so I am really looking forward to playing (and beating the tar out of) our division this year, .
This....still?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I think he had more time so throwing a ball away was easier. When the pocket is congested trying to throw the ball anywhere is more dangerous. Plus, I didn't notice him throwing the ball away more but I didn't count...would be curious to see the stats on that. But again, stats this time of year are not too accurate.

Saw at least two passes against Buffalo where the defender was closing in and he tossed away to the outside. I remember thinking "That usually would have been a sack!"
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
they did a study to figure that out? Just about every sack comes 3 to 4 seconds after the snap.
Couldn't we do something about being a bad ad lib team? Walsh used to practice ad libs if plays were busted there was always a contingency plan. Famously, "The Catch" is an example. Dallas said that Joe just "got lucky". Walsh insisted that they practiced ad libbing this particular play if it got busted. at the time the players thought he was eccentric and foolish, but it turned out to be genius. Of course, we couldn't have expected this last year with the lock out, but what can be done about now? Maybe with all the new WRs chemistry of ANY kind is fundamental. I think some of it is "either you have it or you don't", and Alex just doesn't.
^ Year three in the WCO installations?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM ]
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
Couldn't we do something about being a bad ad lib team? Walsh used to practice ad libs if plays were busted there was always a contingency plan. Famously, "The Catch" is an example. Dallas said that Joe just "got lucky". Walsh insisted that they practiced ad libbing this particular play if it got busted. at the time the players thought he was eccentric and foolish, but it turned out to be genius. Of course, we couldn't have expected this last year with the lock out, but what can be done about now? Maybe with all the new WRs chemistry of ANY kind is fundamental. I think some of it is "either you have it or you don't", and Alex just doesn't.

Yeah, too bad smith couldn't throw a back shoulder pass to KW on a busted play for a TD. Oh....wait.....

Smith is guilty of being conservative and holding the ball too long, but you are grossly exaggerating, IMO.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
That's correct, but its what less-developed quarterbacks do. The superstars recgonize the coverages a 1/2 second earlier and either make the attempt, throw it away, or run for it.

I think Alex's decision-making is getting faster, but who knows if he'll ever come close to diagnosing as quickly as a Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. But still... what I'm saying is, the sacks aren't the worst thing in the context of our team. We have a great defense and possibly the best punter in the league. Better to take a sack, punt the ball, and pin them back against our elite defense... then to potentially turnover the ball deep in our territory.

If we were built like the Packers or Saints, then yes, I think it'd be a HUGE weakness for our quarterback to take so many sacks, but on our team... it's not. It'd be nice for him not to take many sacks, and he'll improve, yes, but it's not going to kill our team like it would for other teams.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Some of us already knew this. Pretty obvious.

The whole "deer in the headlights thing." Plus our Oline is super talented.

Smith just has trouble navigating to a crazy pocket and letting the ball go on time. Recipe for a sack.
Huh? Is that measurable in some way? What am I missing here? Are we a forum of facts and reason, demonstrable data, or are we a forum of meaningless phrases without any measurable statistic or historical context? Emotion over cold hard facts?

You stated Alex has flaws...okay, we know that and we back it up with stats...but could you provide real data to back up "deer in the headlights?" I assure you "deer in the headlights" is not quantifiable and cannot be translated into values or scores.

Lol, just kidding man. I just get a kick out of the critics.
Does this info really need it's own thread? Should have posted this in the Alex thread.

Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Does this info really need it's own thread? Should have posted this in the Alex thread.

It's about the o Line genius
#1 rated in the NFL. 4 - 1 record. 13 - 3 last year and NFC Championship.....
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by goldstandard333:

It's about the o Line genius

The O line and Smith. Turn the sarcasm down or take a break.
Share 49ersWebzone