LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

O-line: All 5 starters grade out in top 5 at their position, Boon and davis ranked 2nd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Wow, that's impressive, but if this is true then why is our offense so mediocre? We have a great o-line, good receivers, good RBs, a great TE, and great offensive coaches. What's the problem?

You missed a position

Originally posted by kidash98:
I swear, if this thread turns into an A Smith Thread, I'm banning someone.

Bump
Wow, that's impressive, but if this is true then why is our offense so mediocre? We have a great o-line, good receivers, good RBs, a great TE, and great offensive coaches. What's the problem?

Our offense is ranked higher than the Green Bay Packers right now. There is no problem unless you want to manufacture one. We are four weeks in. Wait four to six more weeks and things will take shape to form a much better picture of where we're at...
Originally posted by pd24:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-O-line-turning-into-strength-of-th?blockID=784431&feedID=5936

Each of the 49ers' five starting offensive linemen is improved over a year ago and ranks in the top four at their respective positions in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus' rating system that takes into account pass protection, screen blocking, run blocking and penalties.

Right guard Alex Boone and right tackle Anthony Davis are second at their respective positions. Boone ranks ahead of Mike Iupati as a guard and behind only Baltimore's Marshal Yanda as the top guard in the NFL. Iupati is the highest-rated left guard in the league. Left tackle Joe Staley and center Jonathan Goodwin both rank fourth at their spots.

But NinerTalk says it's the Oline's fault Alex has struggled in the last two games. ....their not good enough....
Ugh.. .the polarization on this board just ruins what could be an interesting discussion. This thread has been infected... time to put it down.
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
Arizona Cardinals have the best O-Line!

Love the fact that Snyder is the lowest rated guard on the list. Not for Snyder's sake but for the Cards. Snyder always seemed like a great guy
Originally posted by NinerGM:
dt - I completely agree ....

Furthermore, not all sacks are equal. What concerns me are the drive-killing, sacks; two sacks back to back that pushes a certain TD/redzone opportunity into a FG or worse into a need-a-near-legendary-FG, are the ones that drive me crazy. I love the OL, but I really think Staley in particular has had complete breakdowns for drives at a time where it wasn't a blitz, he just gets beat 1on1, back to back.

Agree! Hate to see sacks or penalties that put the team behind the eight ball! Smith very seldom causes a penalty...another good thing in his favor.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran

Not to beat a dead horse but QB and scared of opening up offense BUT thats our style smash your ass with run and nasty D.
Wasn't there an article just posted that said statistically the 49ers had the #1 run blocking oline and the 31st pass blocking oline? Can't remember who posted it.....
POSITIVE! WINIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tombo
  • Veteran
Maybe they don't count sacks where the QB held the ball for a long time or ones where the QB stupidly ran directly at a defender for no apparent reason or ones where the QB somehow tripped himself? Can't really blame the O-line for those ones and that accounts for at least half our sacks if not more.

Alex hater
Originally posted by Tombo:
Alex hater

I didn't even mention Alex's name. I was talking about their formula in general for all teams, not just how they rated our team.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Only buy it in regards to run blocking!

Pass protection I still go with the 30th ranking. How can an OT give up 4.5 sacks through 4 games (sack/fumble too) plus countless other hits, pressures, etc. ranked that high? We gave up 14 sacks through 4 games last year...12 here.

And like oldman9er said, Alex himself has got out of many other sacks, we pass under three seconds, etc.

When you consider we throw the fewest times in the NFL, employ a three-second offense and STILL give up 12 sacks and all the hits/pressures on top of that? Well, that's just scary. We still have a ways to go before Alex/HaRoman start throwing/calling those deep packages.

BTW: Some of these poor pass protection is on VD, Gore and Hunter as well...L.Davis, Tuk, etc.

50% of sacks are not on the O-line. TE's, RB's, play design, and last but not least, QB.

Staley has been our weak link, but he has gone up against elite talent. The players he has been playing against have been more successful against other LT's. For example, the Bears LT was utterly embarrassed the whole game against Matthews, Staley was only embarrassed on a handful of plays, but not the whole game.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM ]
Lets transition this to the backups

we got Kilgore and Looney so do we let Goodwin go and have Kilgore step in or try to restructure Goodwin?

If he goes Kilgore walks into the rotation so we ideally need another backup C and OT....looks like we could be drafting another 2 OL again. That makes 6 guys in 3 years....
Originally posted by BrianGO:
50% of sacks are not on the O-line. TE's, RB's, play design, and last but not least, QB.

Staley has been our weak link, but he has gone up against elite talent. The players he has been playing against have been more successful against other LT's. For example, the Bears LT was utterly embarrassed the whole game against Matthews, Staley was only embarrassed on a handful of plays, but not the whole game.

Goodwin has been our weakest link, unable to maintain the pocket. If Smith can step forward Staley's guy would be pushed by him. Since the pocket tends to collapse in the middle Staley and AD have to push their guys farther and that opens up the G/T gaps for a blitz or an inside spin move.

But if they can give Goodwin some help from Boone and Iupati with Gore or Miller filling in to plug any gap I think they may be able to solidify the passing game.
Share 49ersWebzone