There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

O-line: All 5 starters grade out in top 5 at their position, Boon and davis ranked 2nd

Arizona Cardinals have the best O-Line!

Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Interesting. Football Outsiders has us ranked as the number 1 Running team and the number 29 pass protection team...

I'd love to see how they break down their analysis at PFF. I found this paragraph interesting and also perplexing:

After getting gashed on the ground last week against New England, the Bills face another difficult task in slowing the 49ers' power running attack. San Francisco has averaged 5.5 yards per carry this season as the offensive line has been dominant and running backs Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter have taken advantage of their work. The biggest improvement up front has been at right guard where Alex Boone has replaced last year's tandem of Adam Snyder and Chilo Rachal. The highest-graded 49ers lineman (+9.3), Boone has taken advantage of the first extended playing time of his career. The rest of the line has been fantastic as well, as all five starters are grading in the green and as a group they rank fifth in the league with a Pass Blocking Efficiency of 86.3. They've given up only five sacks , all charged to left tackle Joe Staley, so it's been a solid team effort up front for the 49ers.
I wonder how they are interpreting sacks? I'm guessing maybe sacks where there are no blitzes? Because, as we know the Niners have given up more than that. Does anyone have a link to how they determine their ratings?

You can pay $26 to find out how they do it...but I decided to look Neil Hornsby up and read an interview of him. A business consultant who loves football...you too can sign up to be a PFF consultant! Just email the site and fill out the form.

Not saying it's an inaccurate site but until I see a list of their analysts...

Edit: In the interview he mentioned that there are few good lines at the moment. Most teams are having difficulty. Didn't want to spend time comparing but I was wondering if any of you had the first four games this year versus last as far as sacks go?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM ]
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Wow, that's impressive, but if this is true then why is our offense so mediocre? We have a great o-line, good receivers, good RBs, a great TE, and great offensive coaches. What's the problem?

You missed a position

Originally posted by kidash98:
I swear, if this thread turns into an A Smith Thread, I'm banning someone.

Bump
Wow, that's impressive, but if this is true then why is our offense so mediocre? We have a great o-line, good receivers, good RBs, a great TE, and great offensive coaches. What's the problem?

Our offense is ranked higher than the Green Bay Packers right now. There is no problem unless you want to manufacture one. We are four weeks in. Wait four to six more weeks and things will take shape to form a much better picture of where we're at...
Originally posted by pd24:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-O-line-turning-into-strength-of-th?blockID=784431&feedID=5936

Each of the 49ers' five starting offensive linemen is improved over a year ago and ranks in the top four at their respective positions in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus' rating system that takes into account pass protection, screen blocking, run blocking and penalties.

Right guard Alex Boone and right tackle Anthony Davis are second at their respective positions. Boone ranks ahead of Mike Iupati as a guard and behind only Baltimore's Marshal Yanda as the top guard in the NFL. Iupati is the highest-rated left guard in the league. Left tackle Joe Staley and center Jonathan Goodwin both rank fourth at their spots.

But NinerTalk says it's the Oline's fault Alex has struggled in the last two games. ....their not good enough....
Ugh.. .the polarization on this board just ruins what could be an interesting discussion. This thread has been infected... time to put it down.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Interesting. Football Outsiders has us ranked as the number 1 Running team and the number 29 pass protection team...

I'd love to see how they break down their analysis at PFF. I found this paragraph interesting and also perplexing:

After getting gashed on the ground last week against New England, the Bills face another difficult task in slowing the 49ers' power running attack. San Francisco has averaged 5.5 yards per carry this season as the offensive line has been dominant and running backs Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter have taken advantage of their work. The biggest improvement up front has been at right guard where Alex Boone has replaced last year's tandem of Adam Snyder and Chilo Rachal. The highest-graded 49ers lineman (+9.3), Boone has taken advantage of the first extended playing time of his career. The rest of the line has been fantastic as well, as all five starters are grading in the green and as a group they rank fifth in the league with a Pass Blocking Efficiency of 86.3. They've given up only five sacks , all charged to left tackle Joe Staley, so it's been a solid team effort up front for the 49ers.
I wonder how they are interpreting sacks? I'm guessing maybe sacks where there are no blitzes? Because, as we know the Niners have given up more than that. Does anyone have a link to how they determine their ratings?

You can pay $26 to find out how they do it...but I decided to look Neil Hornsby up and read an interview of him. A business consultant who loves football...you too can sign up to be a PFF consultant! Just email the site and fill out the form.

Not saying it's an inaccurate site but until I see a list of their analysts...

Edit: In the interview he mentioned that there are few good lines at the moment. Most teams are having difficulty. Didn't want to spend time comparing but I was wondering if any of you had the first four games this year versus last as far as sacks go?

dt - I completely agree ....

Furthermore, not all sacks are equal. What concerns me are the drive-killing, sacks; two sacks back to back that pushes a certain TD/redzone opportunity into a FG or worse into a need-a-near-legendary-FG, are the ones that drive me crazy. I love the OL, but I really think Staley in particular has had complete breakdowns for drives at a time where it wasn't a blitz, he just gets beat 1on1, back to back.
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
Arizona Cardinals have the best O-Line!

Love the fact that Snyder is the lowest rated guard on the list. Not for Snyder's sake but for the Cards. Snyder always seemed like a great guy
Originally posted by NinerGM:
dt - I completely agree ....

Furthermore, not all sacks are equal. What concerns me are the drive-killing, sacks; two sacks back to back that pushes a certain TD/redzone opportunity into a FG or worse into a need-a-near-legendary-FG, are the ones that drive me crazy. I love the OL, but I really think Staley in particular has had complete breakdowns for drives at a time where it wasn't a blitz, he just gets beat 1on1, back to back.

Agree! Hate to see sacks or penalties that put the team behind the eight ball! Smith very seldom causes a penalty...another good thing in his favor.

Not to beat a dead horse but QB and scared of opening up offense BUT thats our style smash your ass with run and nasty D.
Wasn't there an article just posted that said statistically the 49ers had the #1 run blocking oline and the 31st pass blocking oline? Can't remember who posted it.....
POSITIVE! WINIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Maybe they don't count sacks where the QB held the ball for a long time or ones where the QB stupidly ran directly at a defender for no apparent reason or ones where the QB somehow tripped himself? Can't really blame the O-line for those ones and that accounts for at least half our sacks if not more.

Alex hater
Originally posted by Tombo:
Alex hater

I didn't even mention Alex's name. I was talking about their formula in general for all teams, not just how they rated our team.