LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Is Randy Moss a late season secret weapon ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Another Moss hate article:

• Randy Moss: From the time the 49ers signed Moss last March, the Jim Harbaugh Spin Machine was cranked up to maximum velocity, while skeptics like me questioned whether adding the NFL's ultimate frontrunner to a team that had great chemistry in 2011 was a sound idea. Moss, after all, is a great guy to have in your locker room – provided that you're winning, that he's getting the ball thrown to him early and often, that he's getting paid as much as he believes he's worth, that the catering is up tohis (and his dog's) lofty standards, and that 4,000 other things are as he thinks they should be. Of that list, the getting the ball caveat is a big one. So far, Moss isn't. When asked by reporters about his lack of involvement in San Francisco's offense, he has twice said "No comment." History tells us that won't last. In Sunday's victory over the Jets, Moss was targeted once – on a deep pass into triple coverage which fell incomplete. It's not that I expected Moss to make a big impact; it's that, given his irrelevance, I'm disappointed that he hasn't snapped by now, if only to allow me to say I told you so. In the meantime, I'll leave you with three words to describe this devolving situation: Tick, tick, tick

LINK
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

• Randy Moss: From the time the 49ers signed Moss last March, the Jim Harbaugh Spin Machine was cranked up to maximum velocity, while skeptics like me questioned whether adding the NFL's ultimate frontrunner to a team that had great chemistry in 2011 was a sound idea. Moss, after all, is a great guy to have in your locker room – provided that you're winning, that he's getting the ball thrown to him early and often, that he's getting paid as much as he believes he's worth, that the catering is up tohis (and his dog's) lofty standards, and that 4,000 other things are as he thinks they should be. Of that list, the getting the ball caveat is a big one. So far, Moss isn't. When asked by reporters about his lack of involvement in San Francisco's offense, he has twice said "No comment." History tells us that won't last. In Sunday's victory over the Jets, Moss was targeted once – on a deep pass into triple coverage which fell incomplete. It's not that I expected Moss to make a big impact; it's that, given his irrelevance, I'm disappointed that he hasn't snapped by now, if only to allow me to say I told you so. In the meantime, I'll leave you with three words to describe this devolving situation: Tick, tick, tick

LINK

just a matter of time before he checks out.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

LINK

he will stop getting checks if he checks out and possibly lose a shot at a ring
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

LINK

its hard to be a back up when your used to being the man.

LINK

yeah...true test of character will happen before us live and in person
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

LINK

It just depends on how much of his "straight cash" he has blown.

LINK

It just depends on how much of his "straight cash" he has blown.
im guessing he's living out of Hotel or rooming with someone

probably not spending more than his regular bills
I say we all need to quit our bitzkin, including the sports writers. Last season the niners started Brett Swain in a play off game and the number 3 WR was joe hastings. Both WR's are no longer in the NFL.

Now if there is injury, you have Moss and AJ Jenkins. Defensive coordinators would have fear with Moss and Jenkins, no fear for Swain and Hastings.

Improved WR depth, CHECK.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I say we all need to quit our bitzkin, including the sports writers. Last season the niners started Brett Swain in a play off game and the number 3 WR was joe hastings. Both WR's are no longer in the NFL.

Now if there is injury, you have Moss and AJ Jenkins. Defensive coordinators would have fear with Moss and Jenkins, no fear for Swain and Hastings.

Improved WR depth, CHECK.

why would anybody fear an unproven rookie?
These articles crack me up. Go watch the first half of the Vikings game and come back and tell me Moss wasn't getting opportunities. In the first half he was either the primary read or Alex looked in his direction 9 times. He was thrown at 5 times.

- 2nd and 6. Moss was wide open for a first and dropped it. All alone and hit him right in the hands.
- 2nd and 4. Quick slant to Moss. He was either not ready or it was behind him.
- 2nd and 8. Quick sideline route for 8. First down.
- 2nd and 8. Alex tries to hit him in the end zone for a 18 yard TD. Too high. Incomplete.
- 1st and 10. Moss for 6.

That was just the balls thrown to him in the first half. I saw Alex looking into his direction 4 more times other then that as either his primary read or 1st progression. Thats 9 looks in the first half alone. What was surprising a bit was in the 2nd half, when we were down he only caught one ball for 12 yards and I think he was only the first progression 1 other time.

I don't want to blame Alex or Moss but I think they just need more time together. Moss is not an every down player and it will take time for them to get together when the situation is right. Manningham, Davis, and Crabtree are more primary receivers. Now if you still live in the past and think Moss will be this big play guy who only gets 25 yard plus receptions then I think you may need to go watch Harbaughs offense, no offense. Harbaugh rarely ever uses those kind of routes and you may never see Moss getting multiple long TD passes in this offense. We should be so lucky to have a guy who wants to prove himself and checked his ego at the door and has the ability to be the best WR on the field at any given time. Just give it some time.
[ Edited by WhoGotItBetterThenUs on Oct 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM ]

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I hope so............having a QB like Smith doesnt help his cause one bit...............We can only hope he isnt getting frustrated by this plain jane offense & knows that come January they might look his way more often

Having a QB like Smith, who is more accurate than any of the "Elite" QBs at deep throwing... Heck, there are only 3 QBs in the top 20 in total yards more accurate than Smith in the deep ball: Carson Palmer, Cam Newton and Kevin Kolb. And even then, they are 1-2 throws above 50%. Smith sits at 50%. You want one of those guys? I didn't think so.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
I hope so............having a QB like Smith doesnt help his cause one bit...............We can only hope he isnt getting frustrated by this plain jane offense & knows that come January they might look his way more often

Having a QB like Smith, who is more accurate than any of the "Elite" QBs at deep throwing... Heck, there are only 3 QBs in the top 20 in total yards more accurate than Smith in the deep ball: Carson Palmer, Cam Newton and Kevin Kolb. And even then, they are 1-2 throws above 50%. Smith sits at 50%. You want one of those guys? I didn't think so.

I would like to see more passes then 8 though
Originally posted by mkmasn:

I would like to see more passes then 8 though

Why? What's the point? We're winning the game with an outstanding run game and a QB who knows when to audible into a run play and has a crazy good chance of picking up more than enough yards to keep the drive going if he sees the run isn't going to work.

Why would you want to see more low percentage passes? Does an excellent run game and an efficient passing game not excite you enough? It sure is exciting to me. Especially since we're finally winning again.
good read. alex is an ok QB not in the star quality though...thats the main prob of the team.

but having randy moss 49ers is awesome non the less
[ Edited by pepperfoot on Oct 21, 2012 at 3:18 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's time to sit Randy and activate Jenkins. We need a deep threat and Randy just can't run anymore.
Share 49ersWebzone