There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
.. and it will happen. Till then, I'm gonna enjoy winning in any way. This last game really wasn't that bad for the passing game... we just didn't need to pass much cuz we whipped that arse in the run game.

I have no criticism about how he played against the Jets. When you're pitching a shut out, running for 245 yards nobody should argue that Alex played too conservatively.

It's just we know when it's time to face the Giants, Falcons it's going to require more than what we put out. There's going to be that one game like in Minnesota or New Orleans last year in the playoffs when the defense struggles.

Alex has delivered in those spots too you'd just like to see it being done more consistently. You'd like to see it where we don't have to be in that spot for Alex to turn it on.

Just imagine if we didn't have a run game...very scary
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Yes I've heard of Bill Walsh, and you're not him.... we are talking about DROPS not QB practice, dumb ass. What did Bill Walsh say about drops?

Respond to the fact that Bill Walsh DEMANDED that QBs put the ball 6 inches above the numbers please

BIGGEST 6 INCHES EVER

Thank you.

Also, why wouldn't you demand more from your QB in practice? Walsh obviously knew how to set high standards to get the most out of his players. In practice, if a QB can always throw to within 6 inches of the numbers and a WR can catch anything within 3 feet, then come game time you can complete the pass no matter what the conditions. That is the goal, not the reality. Obviously you practice to achieve the goal, so that in reality... you win.

You should stop hating DirtyP. You've been on the Zone since March of this year. Already have 55% warning. Obviously a bandwagon fan. And you obviously know very little about the game.

Walsh also demanded the same precision from the receivers on the routes they run. If Walsh were conducting the reviews of the WRs this week, he would have some coaching to do about coming clear of the DBs so you can run under the pass that is hung out in front of you.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Alex has showed that he can beat teams. It's just we very rarely need him to and I think that might be our biggest problem.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
** Loved the way Kaepernick was used, but I'm not sure the 49ers will use him in the near future. They like to save things and use them later on. As for deep passing, I donot expect them to take as many shots against future opponents, Revis was out so they tested the Jets defensive backs.

As for Goldson he has the range to play at a pro bowl level, he sometimes gets aggressive and makes errors but he is the best saftey we have had since Tony Parrish.
I agree with those who point out that total yards of offense is the important thing. But I would like to see the Niners stick to a clear #1 and #2 wide receivers and play them in the majority of plays.

Here's Maiacco's list of receivers on the field during the Jets game of 72 offensive plays:
61 Vernon
41 Walker
40 Crabtree
32 Manningham
22 Moss
22 K. Williams
8 Ginn

From this list there appears to be no #1 or #2 receiver. How is the team, mainly the QB to receiver, going to get rapport without more consistency? How about this arrangement?
61 Vernon (same)
20 Walker (-21)
60 Crabtree (+20)
60 Manningham (+28)
22 Moss (same)
3 K. Williams (-19)
0 Ginn (-3)
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Oct 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM ]

Alex has showed that he can beat teams. It's just we very rarely need him to and I think that might be our biggest problem.

how dare you say we dont need AS

Yeah. When teams take the 8th man out of the box on third down passing situations, we struggle mightily.

If we are going to be successful at the pass, we have to do it1st or 2nd down when teams stack the box to stop our dominant run game.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM ]
I have no criticism about how he played against the Jets. When you're pitching a shut out, running for 245 yards nobody should argue that Alex played too conservatively.

It's just we know when it's time to face the Giants, Falcons it's going to require more than what we put out. There's going to be that one game like in Minnesota or New Orleans last year in the playoffs when the defense struggles.

Alex has delivered in those spots too you'd just like to see it being done more consistently. You'd like to see it where we don't have to be in that spot for Alex to turn it on.

What more would it really require more against the giants or falcons? Giants have an amazin g front 7 but the game last night against the eagles proved they wear down and when they do they become extremely vulnerable to anything. Best way to wear them down is keeping them on the field as long as possible. Long drawn out drives pretty much our mo. Then when they get the ball our rested elite defense goes face to with there offense. The same would happen wih the falcons. When there offense has to get back on the field to face our defense they have to rush plays and try to force plays. When they have to try to force things they are more liable to make mistakes. Control the clock exhaust there defense keep our d rested and make them try to force plays they dont want to. Thats a winning formula with a defense as high powered as ours and an offense that can score and win the t.o.p war.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I agree with those who point out that total yards of offense is the important thing. But I would like to see the Niners stick to a clear #1 and #2 wide receivers and play them in the majority of plays.

Here's Maiacco's list of receivers on the field during the Jets game of 72 offensive plays:
61 Vernon
41 Walker
40 Crabtree
32 Manningham
22 Moss
22 K. Williams
8 Ginn

From this list there appears to be no #1 or #2 receiver. How is the team, mainly the QB to receiver, going to get rapport without more consistency? How about this arrangement?
61 Vernon (same)
20 Walker (-21)
60 Crabtree (+20)
60 Manningham (+28)
22 Moss (same)
3 K. Williams (-19)
0 Ginn (-3)

Our offense has been successful due to our many different personall arragements. Even out of those arrangements, several plays can be run.

We can't dumb down the formations because there is no chemistry. We'll lose what makes our scheme great. The chemistry can be worked on in practice.
how dare you say we dont need AS

That's not what I meant. I meant we don't need Alex to play to his full potential.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Nice summary Marvin.

I was pleased to see Harbaugh/Roman open up with some stuff that will have future opponents scratching their heads in preparation. The Kaep stuff was obvious but also loved the option pitch Alex made to Kendall Hunter. That was classic option football and Smith ran it perfectly.

I was a little disappointed we did not see AJ Jenkins in this game.

From things Harbaugh has said and done in the past, I believe he has some rather specific long-range plans for the season, such as; add some new stuff after the 3rd game, the 6th game, etc. Things got tipped over a bit by under-estimating the Vikings but that happens during the season. IOW, he is always holding a few cards that he is not willing to play yet. This just happened to be the week, on a big stage (New York City) and against a guy who likes to show new wrinkles (Rex Ryan), that Harbaugh decided to turn Kaep lose and show the nation his own version of Tebow-ball.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM ]

61 Vernon
41 Walker
40 Crabtree
32 Manningham
22 Moss
22 K. Williams
8 Ginn

61 Vernon (same)
20 Walker (-21)
60 Crabtree (+20)
60 Manningham (+28)
22 Moss (same)
3 K. Williams (-19)
0 Ginn (-3)
That's definitely an issue. You gain chemistry with repetition with your receivers.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
.. and it will happen. Till then, I'm gonna enjoy winning in any way. This last game really wasn't that bad for the passing game... we just didn't need to pass much cuz we whipped that arse in the run game.

You guys do realize that even though the Niners try to kill the clock from the first snap of the game, limiting offensive posessions for BOTH teams, they STILL are 11th in the NFL is scoring. They have played 2 High Powered offenses and by all rights should have beaten both by 2 scores (GB got a free TD and the Lions didn't put a drive together till the final minute).

Does the passing game need to improve? Sure, but not nearly as much as peeps are saying.

When you AVERAGE 167 yards rushing, the passing game doesn't need to be stellar...just servicable. All year last year I kept hearing "what happens when they get into a shootout?" It only happned once and they won (New Orleans).

The teams that scare me aren't teams they need to "keep up" with. The teams that scare me are the balanced teams that play like the Niners do (Texans, Ravens).
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
What more would it really require more against the giants or falcons? Giants have an amazin g front 7 but the game last night against the eagles proved they wear down and when they do they become extremely vulnerable to anything. Best way to wear them down is keeping them on the field as long as possible. Long drawn out drives pretty much our mo. Then when they get the ball our rested elite defense goes face to with there offense. The same would happen wih the falcons. When there offense has to get back on the field to face our defense they have to rush plays and try to force plays. When they have to try to force things they are more liable to make mistakes. Control the clock exhaust there defense keep our d rested and make them try to force plays they dont want to. Thats a winning formula with a defense as high powered as ours and an offense that can score and win the t.o.p war.

Giants are a much more dangerous football team in January then they are in October. They're just built for the playoffs with that front 4 and with Eli's clutch play.

With Atlanta it's really where you play them at. If they get home field advantage they're going to be a tough out but I can easily see them get knocked out early otherwise.

61 Vernon
41 Walker
40 Crabtree
32 Manningham
22 Moss
22 K. Williams
8 Ginn

61 Vernon (same)
20 Walker (-21)
60 Crabtree (+20)
60 Manningham (+28)
22 Moss (same)
3 K. Williams (-19)
0 Ginn (-3)

I had similar (but less well-formed) thoughts while watching the games. Some receivers (not necessarily Moss) needing to be on the field more was my thinking. You're onto something here. V. Davis being on the field most of the times may be the reason why he and Smith have the best chemistry.