LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys do realize that even though the Niners try to kill the clock from the first snap of the game, limiting offensive posessions for BOTH teams, they STILL are 11th in the NFL is scoring. They have played 2 High Powered offenses and by all rights should have beaten both by 2 scores (GB got a free TD and the Lions didn't put a drive together till the final minute).

Does the passing game need to improve? Sure, but not nearly as much as peeps are saying.

When you AVERAGE 167 yards rushing, the passing game doesn't need to be stellar...just servicable. All year last year I kept hearing "what happens when they get into a shootout?" It only happned once and they won (New Orleans).

The teams that scare me aren't teams they need to "keep up" with. The teams that scare me are the balanced teams that play like the Niners do (Texans, Ravens).

We were a pretty good scoring team last year too. When you have a defense that creates turnovers and stops left and right you get opportunities to score. But that's not necessarily going to happen against the league's best.

You're going to lose a turnover battle (Giants) or your defense is going to be challenged (Saints) and there's going to be times when you have to rely on the passing attack.

Green Bay was a great win but get over Detroit. 6-10 in their last 16 games. Completely overrated. As to who you are scared of balanced or unbalanced well environment is everything. If we're playing that game in New Orleans it's an entirely different football game.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM ]
Originally posted by fastforward:
I had similar (but less well-formed) thoughts while watching the games. Some receivers (not necessarily Moss) needing to be on the field more was my thinking. You're onto something here. V. Davis being on the field most of the times may be the reason why he and Smith have the best chemistry.

Now THAT is very odd logic. LOL.
What cracks me up is that if the Niners had RUN for 143 yards and PASSED for 245 yards people wouldn't be saying a thing. Now that they have actually DONE WHATS HARDER and reversed those numbers they are "Grinding it out". No....they started to kill the clock in the FIRST QUARTER. They also wait till the last possible second to snap the ball all the time to 1) kill the clock, 2) Control time of possession to keep the D rested, and 3) force the defense they are playing to show their final alignment before the snap.

Its really not that complicated but seems to mystify anyone in the national media.
The national media is horrendous at understanding what we are doing. We are resetting the foundation that was the NFL in an innovative way. Meaning we are establishing a team where the running game is the primary mover of the chains, as opposed to the way current teams run their pass happy offenses. It's also something that some in the fanbase still don't seem to understand. If Kaep was starting, we would be doing the same thing, except maybe a bit more option and designed qb runs, but we would still be moving the chains on the ground, eating clock, demoralizing the opposing defense. It's absolutely beautiful to watch.

The national media, like the other critics can only see one thing - Smith, and not the awesome Harbaugh WC run oriented offense. It's not playing to anyones strengths, it's playing to Harbaugh's style of WC offense.
Originally posted by jreff22:

BIGGEST 6 INCHES EVER

Originally posted by blm7754:
Thank you.

Also, why wouldn't you demand more from your QB in practice? Walsh obviously knew how to set high standards to get the most out of his players. In practice, if a QB can always throw to within 6 inches of the numbers and a WR can catch anything within 3 feet, then come game time you can complete the pass no matter what the conditions. That is the goal, not the reality. Obviously you practice to achieve the goal, so that in reality... you win.

You should stop hating DirtyP. You've been on the Zone since March of this year. Already have 55% warning. Obviously a bandwagon fan. And you obviously know very little about the game.

Lol I'm a bandwagon fan because I expect more from our QB than you do? I'm a bandwagon fan because I am not satisfied with Alex Smith's play at QB? I grew up 30 miles from Candlestick and have been a season ticket holder for the past 15 years. I played football from age 8 to age 18 and have been an avid 49ers fan since birth. I have a right to my own opinion and so do you, but when a coach takes out the starting QB on 3rd down in the redzone in the 1st quarter that is saying something about the way he feels about his QB.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Oct 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol I'm a bandwagon fan because I expect more from our QB than you do? I'm a bandwagon fan because I am not satisfied with Alex Smith's play at QB? I grew up 30 miles from Candlestick and have been a season ticket holder for the past 15 years. I played football from age 8 to age 18 and have been an avid 49ers fan since birth. I have a right to my own opinion and so do you, but when a coach takes out the starting QB on 3rd down in the redzone in the 1st quarter that is saying something about the way he feels about his QB.
it says, lets give them something they are not prepared for. nothing more, in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Giants are a much more dangerous football team in January then they are in October. They're just built for the playoffs with that front 4 and with Eli's clutch play.

With Atlanta it's really where you play them at. If they get home field advantage they're going to be a tough out but I can easily see them get knocked out early otherwise.

agree ten fold. good job
Originally posted by cciowa:
it says, lets give them something they are not prepared for. nothing more, in my opinion

He didn't think Alex Smith was going to get the ball in the endzone. If Alex Smith was the player you thought he was there is no way in hell he would be removed from the field the first trip into the redzone.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Good observations as always Marvin. I would like to add to yours by adding in consistency as something the 49ers are building into this team. If the first four weeks are any indication, we kind of know what to expect of the 49ers and that is a combination of player talent AND coaching talent. We know the defense is going to be solid and, at the very least, keep games within reach. We know the Alex is going to efficient but not great (by Brady/Rodgers standards). We know the running game will be there and the special teams will make plays. This is nice to see because too often this team has been plagued by inconsistency all across the board. When people play the Packers or the Patriots they know what to expect but can they stop it? I'm glad the 9ers are entering that territory.

Originally posted by cciowa:

He didn't think Alex Smith was going to get the ball in the endzone. If Alex Smith was the player you thought he was there is no way in hell he would be removed from the field the first trip into the redzone.

Like Coach said, he had that play in his kit bag. Why not call a play that throws the other team off balanced...I believe Coach said Kaep was doing well in his "understudy role", that says a lot to me.

• jdean
  • Veteran
1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.

2) Manningham: Even tho I thought he should have given a better effort on one of those sideline passes, that guy overall is playing very well. Quick, explosive, and very good with the ball in his hands. I think he's a guy they may be looking to extend after the season the way they did with Rogers this year.

3) Goldson: I've said many times that I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give it up to him. He's playing very well this year. That pass breakup on the deep pass was one of the best plays in coverage I've ever seen him make.

4) Vernon: This isn't a criticism, its more of a concern. Is it just me or does he just not seem to be moving as well as he usually does (which for Vernon is still pretty damn well). I'm not worried that he's lost it or anything (nothing could be further from the truth), I'm just wondering if he's more hurt than the Niners are letting on. I know he acknowledged a foot injury when he missed the dunk in GB and he was on the injury report with a bad back, but he just seems a step slower than normal. Again tho, that would still make him the fastest TE in the NFL.

5) Kaep: Loved the packages he was in. Love his mobility, size, and arm. This is a great way to get him into games a prep him for the future. That future tho is still a long ways off. Lets not go crazy. He threw one pass and it was into triple coverage and it was incomplete. So Tebow is a big, strong athletic QB who can run and is a fine young man who happens to be very religious. Well I'll see you ALL of that and add tall, fast, big arm, and can actually pass. Kaepernick>Tebow.

6) Aldon: He's back. ;-) MONSTER in this game. 2 sacks, should have had 3 (one was wiped out by penalty), great against the run, tossed Tebow like a rag-doll. Outstanding.

7) O-Line: Dominant. Anthony Davis playing like a pro-bowler. Boone playing better than I ever could have expected. Iupati being Iupati. Goodwin solid. Staley is up and down. Very good in run game and then still gives up a sack. On the whole tho, very impressive.

8) Gameplan on O: Isn't it nice to have an offensive innovator by the Bay again? My only concern is losing Roman to another team. Sure, Harbaugh is fantastic, but these guys have something together. I hope we don't lose him too soon.

9) Lord Fangio: I hate to say it, but I think he'll be a head coach next year. My guess is that the Niners know that and they will be choosing between Ed Donatell or maybe even Jim Leavitt to replace him. Dunno...but Fangio has been stellar and the league will notice.

10) Again, adjusting expectations: I mentioned this a few weeks ago. This team has come a long way. Our Niners just went into New York and SPANKED the Jets 34-0 and the stuff that keeps sticking out in my mind are the missed deep throws, the dropped 3rd down passes, the missed field goals and the mercy slide at the end. Its a great time to be a Niner fan.

On the pass down the left sideline to Crabtree it looked like smith overthrew him by a couple feet. On the first one to m.m. It looked like he was held up and the timing was thrown off. The second one looked like m.m. Ran a stop and go but then slowed down again before he got back up to speed and just missed the ball. If he dint slow down the 2nd time he may have bee out farther and caught the ball. Of those 3 plays it seemed smith was only at fult on crabs pass. The others , well the timing was thrown off . All in all he had as many incompleted passes as the other 3 games.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.

2) Manningham: Even tho I thought he should have given a better effort on one of those sideline passes, that guy overall is playing very well. Quick, explosive, and very good with the ball in his hands. I think he's a guy they may be looking to extend after the season the way they did with Rogers this year.

3) Goldson: I've said many times that I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give it up to him. He's playing very well this year. That pass breakup on the deep pass was one of the best plays in coverage I've ever seen him make.

4) Vernon: This isn't a criticism, its more of a concern. Is it just me or does he just not seem to be moving as well as he usually does (which for Vernon is still pretty damn well). I'm not worried that he's lost it or anything (nothing could be further from the truth), I'm just wondering if he's more hurt than the Niners are letting on. I know he acknowledged a foot injury when he missed the dunk in GB and he was on the injury report with a bad back, but he just seems a step slower than normal. Again tho, that would still make him the fastest TE in the NFL.

5) Kaep: Loved the packages he was in. Love his mobility, size, and arm. This is a great way to get him into games a prep him for the future. That future tho is still a long ways off. Lets not go crazy. He threw one pass and it was into triple coverage and it was incomplete. So Tebow is a big, strong athletic QB who can run and is a fine young man who happens to be very religious. Well I'll see you ALL of that and add tall, fast, big arm, and can actually pass. Kaepernick>Tebow.

6) Aldon: He's back. ;-) MONSTER in this game. 2 sacks, should have had 3 (one was wiped out by penalty), great against the run, tossed Tebow like a rag-doll. Outstanding.

7) O-Line: Dominant. Anthony Davis playing like a pro-bowler. Boone playing better than I ever could have expected. Iupati being Iupati. Goodwin solid. Staley is up and down. Very good in run game and then still gives up a sack. On the whole tho, very impressive.

8) Gameplan on O: Isn't it nice to have an offensive innovator by the Bay again? My only concern is losing Roman to another team. Sure, Harbaugh is fantastic, but these guys have something together. I hope we don't lose him too soon.

9) Lord Fangio: I hate to say it, but I think he'll be a head coach next year. My guess is that the Niners know that and they will be choosing between Ed Donatell or maybe even Jim Leavitt to replace him. Dunno...but Fangio has been stellar and the league will notice.

10) Again, adjusting expectations: I mentioned this a few weeks ago. This team has come a long way. Our Niners just went into New York and SPANKED the Jets 34-0 and the stuff that keeps sticking out in my mind are the missed deep throws, the dropped 3rd down passes, the missed field goals and the mercy slide at the end. Its a great time to be a Niner fan.

Wasnt VD on the injury report with back problems?
Great job as usual Marvin49. I love how Kaep is being used in the games so far and hope to see more of it as season goes. Hope to see another good performance and a Win this Sunday too.
Originally posted by jdean:
Wasnt VD on the injury report with back problems?

Yeah, that's right.. he was said to have a back issue last week. Didn't play like it though.. he was making some mighty strong run blocks.
Originally posted by blm7754:
NFL WRs are professional BALL CATCHERS! They are paid millions to catch balls. They don't have to worry about a pass rush, wind conditions, or make multiple reads like a QB. Their athletic ability is supposed to provide a QB with some margin for error.

A QBs job is to place the ball where only the receiver can catch it. Alex Smith is VERY good at this. If they want more catch-able balls then they need to get more separation.

I'm not saying Smith's performance was perfect. In fact he could have been much better this week. But c'mon.... drops are solely the fault of the receiver.

So what is the QB paid many more millions of dollars to do? Just toss the ball where the defender can't reach it? Are you kidding me? Thats like saying a starting pitcher is paid to throw strikes and not walk anyone and let everyone else win the game for you

Ever heard of a guy named Bill Walsh? He would chew out his QB coach if Montana or Young weren't hitting receivers 6 inches above the numbers IN PRACTICE

The QBs job is to get the receiver the ball so he doesn't have to slow down, contort his body or stop in order to catch it

Share 49ersWebzone