There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Terrific job , Marvin, and the guy I was most impressed with was yours...Manningham. Man, I didn't know he did things like that. Wow. As for the rest...D played fantastic, and all were awake as opposed to Vikes game. OL was tremendous, Alex played great, RBs had a field day, TEs played great, WRs did great, and ....coaching was superb. The CK pack was fun to watch....took the jets completely by surprise by a guy better than tebow. Game was an embarrassment for jets, and Ryan said so. 9ers were impressive ...and then some.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
But he was throwing 20+ passes a game not just 5 so that alot more difficult and given the fact that his completion % was somewhere around 60% thats 152 completed passes without an interception. Im not sure if he is coming close to another record I haven't checked im not obessed with statistics like alot of fans, but trying to belittle what he has done so far just because you want a different qb to start, or dont like the way he plays, is unfair, and really unneccessary. Just my opinion.

This has become a sort of glee club of sorts. Glee in trying to irk fellow zoners just for the fun of it. If we get irked, it's on us. If, instead, we consider the source and try to elevate the conversation, as you and others have done, all is well in the world. He has admitted he does this for fun and I will take him at his word.

Well if we compare that record to say Matt Ryan who actually holds the NFL record, MR did AS record in half the time

Not trying argue, but there is more than one QB in the league

If you're referring to the record for most pass attempts without an interception I believe it's Brady that holds that, not Ryan. But don't let facts rain on your hate Alex parade.
Originally posted by trogdor:
If you're referring to the record for most pass attempts without an interception I believe it's Brady that holds that, not Ryan. But don't let facts rain on your hate Alex parade.

I was talking about the Franchise record but ive learned over time some people are deaf to facts they dont want to hear.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Yes AS is having a MVP year... He already is a cy young and heisman trophy candidate

NO one said a MVP year. Wait was that an attempt at sarcasm wasn't it? Really though, he's the QB right now people need to get over it and if there are some fans that cant stand him that much they can stop watching until we get a new QB.

He's breaking records !!!!

he's up there with the all time greats!!!!

next stop, canton!
Have to give Alex Smith props for this game. People are focusing way too much on a few of his mis-connections with his receivers to realized he had a very good command of the offense and the game plan. As the game moves along, he took advantage of the Jets' lack of defense against the run and called audible running plays. We went into the game wanting to be balanced, but Smith took advantage of the Jets in running the ball. I'm sure the coaches gave him support, info, and what to look for in adjustments. It's the one aspect of his game that rarely gets mentioned. And the one area I thought he had improved on also compared to last year. I myself had overlooked, until now.

He took the right time to take shots down field. Even though some didn't connect like they should. Good stuff from Smithy
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Have to give Alex Smith props for this game. People are focusing way too much on a few of his mis-connections with his receivers to realized he had a very good command of the offense and the game plan. As the game moves along, he took advantage of the Jets' lack of defense against the run and called audible running plays. We went into the game wanting to be balanced, but Smith took advantage of the Jets in running the ball. I'm sure the coaches gave him support, info, and what to look for in adjustments. It's the one aspect of his game that rarely gets mentioned. And the one area I thought he had improved on also compared to last year. I myself had overlooked, until now.

He took the right time to take shots down field. Even though some didn't connect like they should. Good stuff from Smithy

That's a very good point. I only have guts enough to open the Alex Smith thread once or twice a year, so I'm not sure if your observation is common currency, but it's dead on. He has been outstanding on that front, you don't hear nearly as much "let it roll, let it roll" this year. He's turned himself into a pretty good field general.

Edit: A further thought that occurred to me during the Lions game: While I'm sure they have decoy audibles, a very high proportion of the "let it roll" calls are run plays. Obviously, they have this covered, just an observation.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Yes AS is having a MVP year... He already is a cy young and heisman trophy candidate

NO one said a MVP year. Wait was that an attempt at sarcasm wasn't it? Really though, he's the QB right now people need to get over it and if there are some fans that cant stand him that much they can stop watching until we get a new QB.

He's breaking records !!!!

he's up there with the all time greats!!!!

next stop, canton!

Enough.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Have to give Alex Smith props for this game. People are focusing way too much on a few of his mis-connections with his receivers to realized he had a very good command of the offense and the game plan. As the game moves along, he took advantage of the Jets' lack of defense against the run and called audible running plays. We went into the game wanting to be balanced, but Smith took advantage of the Jets in running the ball. I'm sure the coaches gave him support, info, and what to look for in adjustments. It's the one aspect of his game that rarely gets mentioned. And the one area I thought he had improved on also compared to last year. I myself had overlooked, until now.

He took the right time to take shots down field. Even though some didn't connect like they should. Good stuff from Smithy

That's a very good point.. that hasn't really been talked about enough. A lot of the time when the Jets would have 4 man fronts he would audible to pass and when they had 3 man fronts he would go to run. It's helped that he knows the offense so well that he can command out there. So much better than when the other coaches wouldn't let him audible and we would have to eat it even when 10 guys were in the box.

Bubbaparis... yeah, the let it roll might be a designed, usually run play but I would think they keep changing it up. Hard to believe it would be the same one because teams would catch on fast. Also, they might call 2 plays in the huddle at times and if they don't like the defensive look "kill" "kill" could mean go to the next one. Or again that kill could be a set designed play that changes on occasion like let it roll. It's interesting hearing him pre-snap... so much more understanding and leeway.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Have to give Alex Smith props for this game. People are focusing way too much on a few of his mis-connections with his receivers to realized he had a very good command of the offense and the game plan. As the game moves along, he took advantage of the Jets' lack of defense against the run and called audible running plays. We went into the game wanting to be balanced, but Smith took advantage of the Jets in running the ball. I'm sure the coaches gave him support, info, and what to look for in adjustments. It's the one aspect of his game that rarely gets mentioned. And the one area I thought he had improved on also compared to last year. I myself had overlooked, until now.

He took the right time to take shots down field. Even though some didn't connect like they should. Good stuff from Smithy

That's a very good point.. that hasn't really been talked about enough. A lot of the time when the Jets would have 4 man fronts he would audible to pass and when they had 3 man fronts he would go to run. It's helped that he knows the offense so well that he can command out there. So much better than when the other coaches wouldn't let him audible and we would have to eat it even when 10 guys were in the box.

Bubbaparis... yeah, the let it roll might be a designed, usually run play but I would think they keep changing it up. Hard to believe it would be the same one because teams would catch on fast. Also, they might call 2 plays in the huddle at times and if they don't like the defensive look "kill" "kill" could mean go to the next one. Or again that kill could be a set designed play that changes on occasion like let it roll. It's interesting hearing him pre-snap... so much more understanding and leeway.

Certainly. Like I said, I was just making an observation about their tendencies, sorta like a runner on second trying to steal signs.
Aldon Smith causing a lot of damage. He literally was flipping offensive line man and b***h slapping them around.

Dumbass jets actually had a TE on him while sanchez threw it out of the endZone. Near safety. Incomplete pass though. The man is elite.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Certainly. Like I said, I was just making an observation about their tendencies, sorta like a runner on second trying to steal signs.

Forgot to cover the other thing you mentioned... you think alex is becoming comfortable enough that he is throwing out dummy audibles? He could be. It was always cool how peyton use to do that and ray lewis would always give it right back to them. Those guys knew the ins and outs of their playbooks.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Aldon Smith causing a lot of damage. He literally was flipping offensive line man and b***h slapping them around.

Dumbass jets actually had a TE on him while sanchez threw it out of the endZone. Near safety. Incomplete pass though. The man is elite.

Seen that... he was very close to a safety. Might have been why Sanchez hurried the throw and it was incomplete. Had the sack called back due to the defensive penalty or he would have had 3 on the day. Plus he had the FF on the one sack and also had the hit in the backfield on Tebow. Did anyone watch him in coverage? I know he killed us with the Vikings 4th down td last week. Maybe he is getting use to being a full time player and his body knows what it takes. He was pretty winded in some of the other games but he never really played a full game before.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Aldon Smith causing a lot of damage. He literally was flipping offensive line man and b***h slapping them around.

Dumbass jets actually had a TE on him while sanchez threw it out of the endZone. Near safety. Incomplete pass though. The man is elite.

Seen that... he was very close to a safety. Had the sack called back due to the defensive penalty or he would have had 3 on the day. Plus he had the FF on the one sack and also had the hit in the backfield on Tebow. Did anyone watch him in coverage? I know he killed us with the Vikings 4th down td last week. Maybe he is getting use to being a full time player and his body knows what it takes. He was pretty winded in some of the other games but he never really played a full game before.

Yeah he looked a little lost out there sometimes. He sat down in empty voids where there was no one around. He could have taken away some lanes is he positioned homself better. But we didnt hear his name too often which is a good thing. I dont think they did enough scouting to realize aldon is a noob at OLB coverage. Minn did.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah he looked a little lost out there sometimes. He sat down in empty voids where there was no one around. He could have taken away some lanes is he positioned homself better. But we didnt hear his name too often which is a good thing. I dont think they did enough scouting to realize aldon is a noob at OLB coverage. Minn did.

I re-watched the game but didn't follow closely but my guess was Aldon probably wasn't in coverage that much this game. I think he rushed the passer a lot. They don't use many exotic formations so we probably felt comfortable with the S and inside LBs covering the TEs/WRs. I'm not so sure we relied on Aldon to cover much but would love to hear from someone who keyed in on him. Might be a smart thing for Fangio to do though... put aldon in coverage as little as possible, send him which is what he does best... use the ilbs/s to cover if it's a standard package.
I don't think you have been watching the last few years if you think that was the best play Goldson ever made.... No disrespect. Just saying. He continually gets disrespected on the WZ. But dude is a monster. Coming 15 yards upfield to make plays in the running game, batting down sure TD's, getting interceptions, causing fumbles, recovering fumbles, hard hits. We cannot replace him. Goldson is really important to what we do. It's time people started to realize that.