There are 151 users in the forums

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Seems there are a couple posters who want to shut this thread down as they did the AS thread. Should stop responding to their nonsense.

I wonder if Fangio will want a HC gig? You mentioned that Marvin, but he could have gone last year I though but decided to stay. I know that he is a good DC but some guys aren't cut out to be HCs. Plus, he has one of the best groups of coaches around him here that he can ever want. Strong guys at DB, DL, LB...across the board.
So love what I am seeing from this offense in the 4th quarter as we just punish them with run blocks over and over, lolz. This is special, guys.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
So love what I am seeing from this offense in the 4th quarter as we just punish them with run blocks over and over, lolz. This is special, guys.

Funny how different two games can be! Minn was the first game in a very long time where I though SF was out hit. Against the jets the D and OLine really played a brutal battle. I don't blame Sanchez for folding seeing the Smith's visiting his neighborhood.

Would like your take on the OLine in this game in particular.

Goodwin--he seems to be very good at sealing a guy to a side but doesn't have the strength to hold up against bull rushes or to move his player for run game...not that most centers do, but...? Looked like Gore is keying on Goodwin's shield, then reacting. If they give up the zone blocking how will this affect his game? He will still need help from somewhere. The niners ran off OG a lot in this game.
Boone seemed to be moving people out.
AD is very powerful in the run game.
Iupati has always been able to move his man.
Staley is who he is--all around good but certainly not a road grader.

Only two sacks--getting better but the Jets had three sacks against Roethlisberger, zero against Tannehill and zero against Fitzpatrick.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Funny how different two games can be! Minn was the first game in a very long time where I though SF was out hit. Against the jets the D and OLine really played a brutal battle. I don't blame Sanchez for folding seeing the Smith's visiting his neighborhood.

Goodwin--he seems to be very good at sealing a guy to a side but doesn't have the strength to hold up against bull rushes or to move his player for run game...not that most centers do, but...? Looked like Gore is keying on Goodwin's shield, then reacting. If they give up the zone blocking how will this affect his game? He will still need help from somewhere. The niners ran off OG a lot in this game.

Only two sacks--getting better but the Jets had three sacks against Roethlisberger, zero against Tannehill and zero against Fitzpatrick.

On back to back plays no less. They had a momentary f**k up and got right back to business. Alex bailed them out 1 or 2 times also but they recovered very nicely and took the momentum back from them after those back-to-back sacks.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

- You summed up Goodwin pretty well. Struggles with power (gets driven back a bit too much in pass game) and seldom gets any push forward in the run game.. but he often does enough to angle out a DT, and at times he gets a decent 2nd level block. I find him to be rather lazy on some plays and THAT burns me up.

- Surprisingly to me, I find that none of our OL often drive defenders out of the lane. Happens more with AD, Iupati, and Boone.. but most times, we tend to get just enough push or seal/angle off defenders. Boone and Staley are the best at getting 2nd level LB blocks. What we do so well instead is get our TEs and FB involved.. as well as the very frequent pull blocks going. Hat on a hat.. and Kaboom.

- Gotta look at the distinction in Zone Blocking for the run game and pass game. We don't use much ZB for our run game... but we do for our pass game lots. I don't truly mind if we stick with it... BUT... we simply have to get the interior guys to understand that you can NOT forsake your gap by giving help left or right when it isn't desperately needed. Both IUpati and Boone seem to make up their mind and go block... and they have to.. "stay at home" more.
I don't blame those 2 sacks on the O-line at all. Looks like Smith had time on both of those consecutive sacks. Smith look in a couple of direction but couldn't find anyone open. The first sack, he look right, intermediate, and short, then finally had #81 open up in the middle of the field short but was his 3rd read, ran out of time in the pocket and too late, the rusher was already on him to the left. The Vikes did a good job of coverage.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Usually you can tag a guy 2 years. The 3rd becomes cost prohibitive. The Chargers tagged Vincent Jackson 2 years. We can do it again this offseason with Dashon. And I hope we do. He's a force and a great player. Yes we do need him. I hope we get something done long term with him. He may cave this year because he doesn't want to keep getting tagged over and over and then eventually dropped to some other team in FA. It's kind of in his best interests to get it done this time too. Remember how bad our Safety play was before he was playing?....

Yeah, might have to make some space if we do but I think he would get 7.5 million which isn't too bad. Like I said I would definitely tag him if we can't re-sign him. And you don't have to sell me... I remember Roman and Lewis and those guys. I know he is asking a lot but it's the going rate and that's what happens when teams overpay. It affects everybody. Hopefully if he does he can make it cap and team friendly. He has to realize we have others to take care of and what we have here. Maybe he should talk to some of the guys who took big money from crap teams. Sure the extra money is nice but is it worth losing the rest of your career? If we lose him he will be really hard to replace and we would probably have to go FS in the 1st and even that would be a long shot of not losing anything on the field. There would probably be communication problems and breakdowns with a rookie no matter how high he is selected.

I agree strongly with those.

I like Dashon a lot, but he isnt worth a max contract

He's worth top 5 like they are paying him this year. You don't have to pay him #1.

he is probably worth top 5 money, especially since he is playing better than SD Weddle and Tenn Griffin who got $7-8 million a year.

i dont see Balke moving away from his 5yr $25 million offer to DG. not bc DG is the problem, but the cap is. we cant tie up both DG and bowman with big $$ deals. im pretty sure Balke is more interested in keeping our front 7 intact
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Usually you can tag a guy 2 years. The 3rd becomes cost prohibitive. The Chargers tagged Vincent Jackson 2 years. We can do it again this offseason with Dashon. And I hope we do. He's a force and a great player. Yes we do need him. I hope we get something done long term with him. He may cave this year because he doesn't want to keep getting tagged over and over and then eventually dropped to some other team in FA. It's kind of in his best interests to get it done this time too. Remember how bad our Safety play was before he was playing?....

Yeah, might have to make some space if we do but I think he would get 7.5 million which isn't too bad. Like I said I would definitely tag him if we can't re-sign him. And you don't have to sell me... I remember Roman and Lewis and those guys. I know he is asking a lot but it's the going rate and that's what happens when teams overpay. It affects everybody. Hopefully if he does he can make it cap and team friendly. He has to realize we have others to take care of and what we have here. Maybe he should talk to some of the guys who took big money from crap teams. Sure the extra money is nice but is it worth losing the rest of your career? If we lose him he will be really hard to replace and we would probably have to go FS in the 1st and even that would be a long shot of not losing anything on the field. There would probably be communication problems and breakdowns with a rookie no matter how high he is selected.

I agree strongly with those.

I like Dashon a lot, but he isnt worth a max contract

He's worth top 5 like they are paying him this year. You don't have to pay him #1.

he is probably worth top 5 money, especially since he is playing better than SD Weddle and Tenn Griffin who got $7-8 million a year.

i dont see Balke moving away from his 5yr $25 million offer to DG. not bc DG is the problem, but the cap is. we cant tie up both DG and bowman with big $$ deals. im pretty sure Balke is more interested in keeping our front 7 intact

If we lose a back end guy like Goldson believe me you will notice the difference. We have money under the cap. We can do both maybe. Bowman may not be resigned. We got Wills. And the blocking schemes focusing on Willis inflate Bowman's #'s. Although Bowman has played fantastic and is a great player in his own right. I doubt he puts up the #'s he does on another team. He also benefits a lot from have Ray McDonald, Sopoaga, Aldon Smith, Justin Smith in front of him. And blockers looking for Willis. That's a lot, lot, lot of help. He kind of runs free and is the forgoten man. Not that he doesn't do well with it. It's just he will never be this good on another team. Somebody will overpay him in FA IMO.

Did you see our Safety's over the years before Goldson was a rock back there?.... $7 million per - probably not. But $6 million hell yes. He's worth it. Last year and this he has proven that. I don't want scrubs like we used to have back there. Obviously they wouldn't franchise him if they didn't think he was important.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:43 AM ]
I love to see Hunter come in and gash the defense , after Frank and the O-Line have been punching the defense in the face
Was hoping anyone with replay ability or a strong memory can explain what was up with Crabtree on this play?

8:35 in the 4th quarter

2nd and 1 at NYJ 22 A.Smith pass incomplete deep right to M.Crabtree (A.Cromartie).
6mR.. pass pro held up okay for this quick throw... both backs stay in to block. Crabtree on a wheel route.. I have NO idea why Crabtree didn't attack this football. It was well placed and not difficult to get.. Crabs had much better positioning than the CB to get that one. Alex is animated with the refs, trying to claim P.I. Guess I could see a case for a no-call or a friendly P.I. Frankly, I just don't understand why a WR who wants more balls thrown his way doesn't make a better effort to.. oh I don't know.. maybe catch it? .. and people wonder why Alex doesn't throw more jump-balls to give his guys a chance?

Was hoping anyone with replay ability or a strong memory can explain what was up with Crabtree on this play?

Quote:

2nd and 1 at NYJ 22 A.Smith pass incomplete deep right to M.Crabtree (A.Cromartie).
6mR.. pass pro held up okay for this quick throw... both backs stay in to block. Crabtree on a wheel route.. I have NO idea why Crabtree didn't attack this football. It was well placed and not difficult to get.. Crabs had much better positioning than the CB to get that one. Alex is animated with the refs, trying to claim P.I. Guess I could see a case for a no-call or a friendly P.I. Frankly, I just don't understand why a WR who wants more balls thrown his way doesn't make a better effort to.. oh I don't know.. maybe catch it? .. and people wonder why Alex doesn't throw more jump-balls to give his guys a chance?

The Pro-Alex group probably agrees...and the Anti Alex group either will not touch or will try to say that it is a rare occurance and try to put the onus on you that it is not just an excuse...which you can never prove anyway.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
The Pro-Alex group probably agrees...and the Anti Alex group either will not touch or will try to say that it is a rare occurance and try to put the onus on you that it is not just an excuse...which you can never prove anyway.

Oh yes, I know the drill... but still wanted some of you to take a look and give your thoughts. You know.. the ones of you that actually back up your viewpoints and do the work.
Oh, and on the next pass play from the one aforementioned? I retract my curses to Crabtree on that 3rd and 1 slant incompletion. The ball was good and Crabs would likely have caught it, but Cromartie reached around with good timing to smack Crabtree's arm and force the incompletion. Just happens... I thought Crabs flat-out dropped it when watching live.

Have looked at it. I was critical of Crabtree on this play for not going after it on game day. But after looking at replay of it, I'm much less critical. He was pushed by Cromartie in the left shoulder right at the time when the ball got there, so he couldn't go for the ball. PI should have been called. You can clearly see Cromartie's arm extended into Crabtree before the ball got there. On the play initially, it looked like Manningham should do a 'pick' of Cromartie to get Crabtree open -- no we're not cheating, we're competing As it is Cromartie knew exactly where to go and what to do. We ran the same play in the first half.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM ]
I don't think you have been watching the last few years if you think that was the best play Goldson ever made.... No disrespect. Just saying. He continually gets disrespected on the WZ. But dude is a monster. Coming 15 yards upfield to make plays in the running game, batting down sure TD's, getting interceptions, causing fumbles, recovering fumbles, hard hits. We cannot replace him. Goldson is really important to what we do. It's time people started to realize that.

Yeah. Thats the problem. I haven't been watching.

SMH.

I said the best play I've ever seen him make in PASS COVERAGE.
Share 49ersWebzone