LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

What will it take to be a passing team again.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I just want to be a winning team. 16 - 5 already under Harbaugh. I will take it!! I remember the Dallas Cowboys whipping us in the early 90s even though we had Young and Rice and they did it with a formula very similar to what we are using now. You can make an arguement that Aikman went down field a little more but this season's production thus far between the 2 QBs has been eerily similar. Of course Alex isn't Aikman and we aren't those Cowboys, but it goes to show that winning football can happen in any manner of ways. 16 - 5 and yes the QB plays a significant part in this

I don't like to critique hall of fame super bowl winning QB's. But Troy's teams were stacked big time. A term we know all too well around here (game manager) could very easily be applied to Troy. I don't want to create a whole new argument about one of the greats but Aikman carrying the team? Well that must have been a lot to carry because the talent around him was insane. I wont say this with much conviction but damn Marino would have won countless superbowls with Troy's team (a lot more than Troy did IMO.)

Again I want to make this clear not going to slight the guy. Just observe.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by English:
To answer your question in the title, a new Head Coach.

Jim Harbaugh Stanford Run / Pass Per Game Splits:

2007: 37.2 Passes / 35.3 Rushes
2008: 23.9 Passes / 40.8 Rushes
2009: 24.1 Passes / 41.2 Rushes
2010: 29.2 Passes / 41.2 Rushes

^
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Hey, you guys remember when susweel wanted to draft CJ Spiller and Jimmy Clausen instead of Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis?

I do.

Blow it out your ass, this board was on suicide watch after drafting Aldon Smith. Nobody really has a clue what's goin on on draft day.

[ Edited by redrathman on Sep 29, 2012 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by BayArea:
I just want to be a winning team. 16 - 5 already under Harbaugh. I will take it!! I remember the Dallas Cowboys whipping us in the early 90s even though we had Young and Rice and they did it with a formula very similar to what we are using now. You can make an arguement that Aikman went down field a little more but this season's production thus far between the 2 QBs has been eerily similar. Of course Alex isn't Aikman and we aren't those Cowboys, but it goes to show that winning football can happen in any manner of ways. 16 - 5 and yes the QB plays a significant part in this

I don't like to critique hall of fame super bowl winning QB's. But Troy's teams were stacked big time. A term we know all too well around here (game manager) could very easily be applied to Troy. I don't want to create a whole new argument about one of the greats but Aikman carrying the team? Well that must have been a lot to carry because the talent around him was insane. I wont say this with much conviction but damn Marino would have won countless superbowls with Troy's team (a lot more than Troy did IMO.)

Again I want to make this clear not going to slight the guy. Just observe.

A lot of folks tend to believe we are pretty stacked and are the most balanced team in the NFL. Our payroll is evenly dispersed amongst the players and is mostly representative of their respective talent levels. Alex is an $8 - 9 million QB while our RB is pretty well paid for position and on and on we go. My point is that sometimes the amount expected from a particular player can be evaluated in his salary. Alex is getting paid well enough to do enough but he isn't being paid to be Rodgers, Brees, Brady, or Manning. Those teams aside from the Saints have traditionally not been able to run the ball or play solid defense and now they are being exposed as such. Probably has something to do with not investing properly on that side of the ball. We on the other hand are getting what we are paying for and then some according to the win tally. We just need to be patient and I do believe that either Alex will continue to improve or he will be replaced but I am not sure that Jim will all of a sudden want to pay a Peyton Manning to play Peyton Manning ball and have to cut payroll in other areas of this team's strengths. This sentiment pretty much came directly out of Jim Harbaugh's mouth
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Sep 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM ]
why become a passing team, this year passing team means losing
New England Patriots 1 2
Denver Broncos 1 2
Green Bay Packers 1 2
Detroit Lions 1 2
New Orleans Saints 0 3

only exception to the rule this year
Atlanta Falcons 3 0
Originally posted by solidg2000:
New England Patriots 1 2
Denver Broncos 1 2
Green Bay Packers 1 2
Detroit Lions 1 2
New Orleans Saints 0 3

Atlanta Falcons 3 0

Good point, but I think folks would be happy if we just tried and completed a FEW downfield passes per game.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
New England Patriots 1 2
Denver Broncos 1 2
Green Bay Packers 1 2
Detroit Lions 1 2
New Orleans Saints 0 3

Atlanta Falcons 3 0

Good point, but I think folks would be happy if we just tried and completed a FEW downfield passes per game.

All of those teams have spent dearly for their QBs so it isn't much of a surprise if the QB tries to do too much in the way of winning to compensate for other things their teams can't do well simply because they haven't made the necessary investment to do so
New England Patriots 1 2
Denver Broncos 1 2
Green Bay Packers 1 2
Detroit Lions 1 2
New Orleans Saints 0 3

Atlanta Falcons 3 0

All of those teams have spent dearly for their QBs so it isn't much of a surprise if the QB tries to do too much in the way of winning to compensate for other things their teams can't do well simply because they haven't made the necessary investment to do so

Yep, I see Smith as a damn good discount at 9 mil... Alex said himself that his terrible numbers of the distant past are a clear result of (terrible team/coaching) trying to force things because we would get so far behind ( in score +/or down/distance ). Of course, he was careful to phrase it to where he didn't throw those coaches/team under the bus.

Now, he trusts his team to come through, while he plays smart, yet careful.
Yep, I see Smith as a damn good discount at 9 mil... Alex said himself that his terrible numbers of the distant past are a clear result of (terrible team/coaching) trying to force things because we would get so far behind ( in score +/or down/distance ). Of course, he was careful to phrase it to where he didn't throw those coaches/team under the bus.

Now, he trusts his team to come through, while he plays smart, yet careful.

Food for thought right here!
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Alex can throw deep, but it's a matter of getting the WRs on the same page, only Crabtree and Vernon seem to click with Alex. Moss, Manningham, Walker and Williams haven't made an impact, Mario has the most of those 4. I don't think we are suited for a passing team, we have legit RBs in Gore, Hunter and Jacobs, and James in the future, our OL is solid, we are a defensive team, I hope we don't go in the pass first, with a weak defense approach. It would be great to have a Manning, but I dont wanna be in a shootout. But I dont think we will see it any time soon, Alex has limited abilities, he isn't elite, and probably won't ever be, he is capable starter, but he will never be a Brees, Brady, either Manning, Rodgers, even Big Ben and Rivers. Might be more of a Flacco though.

This...
Plus it aint the JH way, not to mention what Roman schemes..Nasty game coming up tomorrow..hope it's back to dominance.. Go Niners!!

The way the NFL is set up with the rule changes you have to air it out on occasion. It becomes a matter of touches. Joe didn't put the ball 50 or 60 yards in the air. What the team did was split the seams and let the receivers run after the catch. Except for the long passes to Vernon most of the routes are stop and go or go and
stop. When Jerry or JT caught that short pass they were in full stride. My main concern is the OL, could the emphasis on the running game have curtailed their maturation in the passing game? At the end of the day whatever Coach does I'm with it.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The way the NFL is set up with the rule changes you have to air it out on occasion. It becomes a matter of touches. Joe didn't put the ball 50 or 60 yards in the air. What the team did was split the seams and let the receivers run after the catch. Except for the long passes to Vernon most of the routes are stop and go or go and
stop. When Jerry or JT caught that short pass they were in full stride. My main concern is the OL, could the emphasis on the running game have curtailed their maturation in the passing game? At the end of the day whatever Coach does I'm with it.

Kinda hope so.. gotta implement some deeper options here.. or like I once stated, some excellent audibled vertical options when teams are clearly not backing it off.
JH did trade up to get Kaepernick, but Harbaugh probably didn't expect almost reaching the SB with Alex Smith under center.
Originally posted by NinerTeam:
JH did trade up to get Kaepernick, but Harbaugh probably didn't expect almost reaching the SB with Alex Smith under center.

I think he did, actually... but.. we did need something worthwhile behind Alex.. just in case. Someone talented to develop as plan B.
Originally posted by NinerTeam:

He did that before Alex played a down for him. He also probably didn't expect to be a few blown plays from the Super Bowl in his first season. Events have a way of overtaking and surprising us sometimes.
Share 49ersWebzone