LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

What will it take to be a passing team again.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
even if we had an elite QB we would still be a ground n pound team...its just JH and Roman's style but with an elite QB i can see us running a similar game plan as the saints. Saints have a good blend of passing and running.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by NinerTeam:
JH did trade up to get Kaepernick, but Harbaugh probably didn't expect almost reaching the SB with Alex Smith under center.

He did that before Alex played a down for him. He also probably didn't expect to be a few blown plays from the Super Bowl in his first season. Events have a way of overtaking and surprising us sometimes.

lol reading that again, I rehashed what you said. My bad doe
Originally posted by hofer36:
geez---i kind of enjoyed going to the NFC title game last year, more so than i would have enjoyed a 500 yard passing game..
if it aint broke dont fix it

Well when go 1/13 on 3rd down (7% 3rd down efficiencys) I would say something was broken. Defense is not going to win every game for you.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
geez---i kind of enjoyed going to the NFC title game last year, more so than i would have enjoyed a 500 yard passing game..

Well when go 1/13 on 3rd down (7% 3rd down efficiencys) I would say something was broken. Defense is not going to win every game for you.

Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, Jacobs, James. Swain cut...
What do you care? If we run the ball and play defense and that is good enough for 13 - 3 than that is good... We would have gone to the Super Bowl if we caught 2 punts. There is nothing wrong with this team.
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:

It seems to me that we are scoring on more drives this year and punting less. In the Vikings game we just did not get as much opportunity as we normally do because the Vikings kept the ball for almost 35 minutes. I don't remember seeing too much Andy Lee. The Vikings kept the ball away from us, they did a good job but we are fine
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Alex can throw deep, but it's a matter of getting the WRs on the same page, only Crabtree and Vernon seem to click with Alex. Moss, Manningham, Walker and Williams haven't made an impact, Mario has the most of those 4. I don't think we are suited for a passing team, we have legit RBs in Gore, Hunter and Jacobs, and James in the future, our OL is solid, we are a defensive team, I hope we don't go in the pass first, with a weak defense approach. It would be great to have a Manning, but I dont wanna be in a shootout. But I dont think we will see it any time soon, Alex has limited abilities, he isn't elite, and probably won't ever be, he is capable starter, but he will never be a Brees, Brady, either Manning, Rodgers, even Big Ben and Rivers. Might be more of a Flacco though.

Flacco is light years ahead of Alex.
It will happen eventually especially if Alex does indeed bring us to the promise land. Right now we have the most complete team in football but eventually the numbers game will catch up to us and we're going to have to adapt.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
why become a passing team, this year passing team means losing
New England Patriots 1 2
Denver Broncos 1 2
Green Bay Packers 1 2
Detroit Lions 1 2
New Orleans Saints 0 3

only exception to the rule this year
Atlanta Falcons 3 0

You are aware that the 32nd ranked rushing attack has won the Super Bowl the last 2 years right?

I think we all know that New England and Green Bay will get their sh*t together. You're forgetting the Giants. Denver is not necessarily a passing team with McGahee. They're balanced. I'll give you Detroit but they're overrated. You're talking about a wildcard team that got humiliated in the 1st round. Never that good of a team in the 1st place. New Orleans is an anomaly. They don't count. Their problems kind of have to do with Bountygate.

Not too mention that we're 3 weeks into the year and only have 3 undefeated teams left. Alot of 1-2 and 2-1 football teams.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What do you care? If we run the ball and play defense and that is good enough for 13 - 3 than that is good... We would have gone to the Super Bowl if we caught 2 punts. There is nothing wrong with this team.

But he wants 500 yards passing yards and 62 points. Like the Madden.

Originally posted by tjd808185:
You are aware that the 32nd ranked rushing attack has won the Super Bowl the last 2 years right?

False.

The Green Bay Packers had the 24th ranked rushing offense in 2010.

Also, the Giants averaged 116.5 rushing yards per game in the playoffs. They threw for over 300 passing yards just once in the playoffs.
Originally posted by redrathman:
False.

The Green Bay Packers had the 24th ranked rushing offense in 2010.

Also, the Giants averaged 116.5 rushing yards per game in the playoffs. They threw for over 300 passing yards just once in the playoffs.

Doesn't matter still ranked 32nd during the regular season didn't they. Post season they had less than 100 against us, less than 100 against New England, less than 100 against Green Bay but blew up for 1 game against Atlanta. Statisically irrelvant.

There's a reason why I'm going to weigh 16 games over 4.

You're right about Green Bay. 24th. Congradulations on that I guess. 700 yard leading rusher.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM ]
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

But he wants 500 yards passing yards and 62 points. Like the Madden.

500 passing and a loss looks great to these guys....
Originally posted by solidg2000:
why become a passing team, this year passing team means losing
New England Patriots 1 2
Denver Broncos 1 2
Green Bay Packers 1 2
Detroit Lions 1 2
New Orleans Saints 0 3

only exception to the rule this year
Atlanta Falcons 3 0

A lot of ownage in this.....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Doesn't matter still ranked 32nd during the regular season didn't they. Post season they had less than 100 against us, less than 100 against New England. Blew up for 1 game, less than 100 against Green Bay. Statisically irrelvant.

False.

The Giants rushed for 114 yards against the Patriots. They ran for 95 against the Packers and 85 against the 49ers.

Your assertion of the Packers ranked last in rushing in 2010 was false as well.

The 2009 Super Bowl Champion Steelers ranked 9th in rushing that year.
Share 49ersWebzone