There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What will it take to be a passing team again.

Alex Smith will never get us where we want to be he can not get the ball in the endzone the offense struggles to score points the sooner that's realized the better off the ball team will be, we only won today because the Jets played so badly it was no thanks to Smith our offense struggled even thought they put up 34 points Akers even missed twice today the touchdowns were rushing touchdowns one by the backup QB
There us still plenty of room for improvement
Originally posted by Allx9er:
There us still plenty of room for improvement

I am just happy having a winning team!
  • Jaci
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
That's what he's doing, discussing football. And sorry, he's right on point. Most of the posts on this forum are about turning our team into a spread offense because ESPN says it's the only way to win. And they don't understand our personnel's strengths and weaknesses. And they want their fantasy team to win. And they want Aaron Rodgers to be our QB. And they want Megatron to be our receiver. And they want. And they want some more.

Why is it that we can have a blowout of 34-0 and people say it's difficult to enjoy that game? Because our QB didn't throw for 300+ yards, even though we rushed for 245. They want highlights and shootouts, not football. They want Madden, not NFL.

But way to stick it to the guy who feels compelled to post his third post on the board. Good job.

Didn't mean to "stick it to him", he might not know that many others have said or implied the same thing, and I felt I had to take a stand.

"Does anyone ever enjoy a victory on here....ever?" That was his main point, and it's what I have a problem with.
The fan forum is for discussing football. Discussing football is not about being positive all the time, or negative all the time. It's about discussing both the negative and positive from all situations. What is wrong with that? Because its time to celebrate? I can't agree with that. If people want to celebrate, they can go make a celebration thread, or they can go to a friends house or they can go to the game.

This whole thing is making me smile, not the least of the fact that I am a girl
Anyway, I will also say I may have to post more because this is incredibly interesting, positive and negative. As I said, I didn't know exactly where to put that comment so that's why I put it there. And yes, it was a post about discussing football (although there was a bit of frustration there, I admit, because I stand by the fact that after a shutout maybe people could enjoy it) the part about football I was trying to get across is why many fans seem upset about winning with a run game and defense as opposed to passing primarily? Most teams or fans I don't think would care how they win. It is not, as some people think, impossible to win with a QB like Smith. Once again, lets look at the Ravens superbowl with Trent Dilfer.

But you are correct, this may have been better in a different thread or 'celebratory' thread as was suggested. I haven't been on here much, I will get the hang of it. But to add to the thread correctly as you wanted- the way the niners will become a passing team is if they completely revamp what they have now. New QB, I want to say new RB's, new WR. The run first, defense based is a team achievement. It won't come just from pulling Smith, the RBs and WRs are fitted into this system as well.

One more thing, if this is about discussing football both negative and positive I don't see how just posting things like 'Bring Jerry Rice back' is too helpful. I'm just saying. It's something I noticed.
Originally posted by Jaci:
Anyway, I will also say I may have to post more because this is incredibly interesting, positive and negative. As I said, I didn't know exactly where to put that comment so that's why I put it there. And yes, it was a post about discussing football (although there was a bit of frustration there, I admit, because I stand by the fact that after a shutout maybe people could enjoy it) the part about football I was trying to get across is why many fans seem upset about winning with a run game and defense as opposed to passing primarily? Most teams or fans I don't think would care how they win. It is not, as some people think, impossible to win with a QB like Smith. Once again, lets look at the Ravens superbowl with Trent Dilfer.

But you are correct, this may have been better in a different thread or 'celebratory' thread as was suggested. I haven't been on here much, I will get the hang of it. But to add to the thread correctly as you wanted- the way the niners will become a passing team is if they completely revamp what they have now. New QB, I want to say new RB's, new WR. The run first, defense based is a team achievement. It won't come just from pulling Smith, the RBs and WRs are fitted into this system as well.

One more thing, if this is about discussing football both negative and positive I don't see how just posting things like 'Bring Jerry Rice back' is too helpful. I'm just saying. It's something I noticed.

I don't know about you guys but being 17 and 5 under Harbaugh is making me sick, running the football in a league with rules skewed to the pass and defying conventional wisdom to spite all the naysayers. I am all for bringing back Mike Martz and JTO. On second thought, I think we are headed in the right direction as is. I wonder if being a passing team is what keeps coaches employed or is it being a WINNING team!!
Originally posted by Niner_Fan:
Alex Smith will never get us where we want to be he can not get the ball in the endzone the offense struggles to score points the sooner that's realized the better off the ball team will be, we only won today because the Jets played so badly it was no thanks to Smith our offense struggled even thought they put up 34 points Akers even missed twice today the touchdowns were rushing touchdowns one by the backup QB

3-1...has me where I want to be...a niner fan!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Jaci:

I don't know about you guys but being 17 and 5 under Harbaugh is making me sick, running the football in a league with rules skewed to the pass and defying conventional wisdom to spite all the naysayers. I am all for bringing back Mike Martz and JTO. On second thought, I think we are headed in the right direction as is. I wonder if being a passing team is what keeps coaches employed or is it being a WINNING team!!

Nah, don't worry, you posted in the right thread. People just get waaaaay too into it. I know I do. Plus, since it's typing, you can't really get the true understanding of what people are saying. Spoken word is funny like that.

You are right on all counts. People should be celebrating, not nitpicking. At least today. Wait until the film comes out, then analyze it. What we see on TV is not always what really happened.

And this team will probably not be a passing team. JH prefers to control the ball. I don't see that changing.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Didn't mean to "stick it to him", he might not know that many others have said or implied the same thing, and I felt I had to take a stand.

"Does anyone ever enjoy a victory on here....ever?" That was his main point, and it's what I have a problem with.
The fan forum is for discussing football. Discussing football is not about being positive all the time, or negative all the time. It's about discussing both the negative and positive from all situations. What is wrong with that? Because its time to celebrate? I can't agree with that. If people want to celebrate, they can go make a celebration thread, or they can go to a friends house or they can go to the game.

So many times it appears the Anti-Smith crowd, you being a member, seem more interested in criticizing the QB than enjoying the win. It was a pretty straight forward message/question and for you to tell her to go to someones house to have a good time is condescending. It's a legitimate question...do you enjoy being a 9er fan? I do, but I must admit at times the back and forth becomes uncomfortable or unpleasant and I ask myself why I'm reading all this negativity. Then I become snide or condescending myself and it irks me.

The trick is to disagree without letting it become the reason you come here. There are a few posters on here who have never written a positive post to my knowledge.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM ]
I'll tone it down then. Sorry.

Balancing the cap shouldn't be a problem. When you have a balanced attack, you don't have 6 star players eating up your space. Baalke is playing moneyball like the Pats. And he's damn good at it. They've already determined how many touches, yards, TDs each player is going to have and given them contracts full of incentives. They are managing who is going to reach those incentives. It's like getting an end of year bonus. You do good work, we'll give you that TD. You get it yourself by breaking a long run, even better, here's your money.

It's a ticking time bomb just like every other successful team. Right now we can get away with paying Alex 8 mil a year but a couple years from now when it's time to extend him again and a possible ring later he's going to be worth alot more.

As his pay increases you have to expect him to produce more because more of the pressure is going to be put on his shoulders. We're just not going to be able to keep everyone long term. It just doesn't work that way.

The Patriots are the most cut throat team in the league. They're constantly rebuilding and reinventing themselves.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'll tone it down then. Sorry.

Balancing the cap shouldn't be a problem. When you have a balanced attack, you don't have 6 star players eating up your space. Baalke is playing moneyball like the Pats. And he's damn good at it. They've already determined how many touches, yards, TDs each player is going to have and given them contracts full of incentives. They are managing who is going to reach those incentives. It's like getting an end of year bonus. You do good work, we'll give you that TD. You get it yourself by breaking a long run, even better, here's your money.

It's a ticking time bomb just like every other successful team. Right now we can get away with paying Alex 8 mil a year but a couple years from now when it's time to extend him again and a possible ring later he's going to be worth alot more.

As his pay increases you have to expect him to produce more because more of the pressure is going to be put on his shoulders. We're just not going to be able to keep everyone long term. It just doesn't work that way.

The Patriots are the most cut throat team in the league. They're constantly rebuilding and reinventing themselves.

Because they play moneyball.

I see us taking a modified Walshian approach to talent. Walsh liked to get maximum value for his players by trading a year or two before they would start producing diminishing returns. This takes great scouting personnel and understanding of what role each player plays. It also ties into the moneyball way of thinking, but it happened to be at a time when we had an owner who didn't mind paying for championships.

Take that same philosophy. Let's say Alex wins a Super Bowl or wins/gets to the NFCCG the next two years. His contract is structured so we can release him. This means it's structured where we can get maximum value on a trade. Elite QB, non elite salary. Kaep will have had plenty of time to sit, and just as his contract is up for renewal, without ever having played any serious time, we can re-sign him on the cheap in an offense he has become an expert in.

Jenkins hasn't played any time at all. Crabtree's contract is up in 2014(?). Crabs breaks 1200 yards this season, we can trade him away. A vet with a little gas left in the tank for cheap, Manningham can be resigned as long as we control his play time... You see where I'm going with this?

The issue comes on the defensive side of the ball with Bowman and Willis. They are almost essential. And a replacement for J. Smith, but the next draft will most likely address that. Goldson will probably get a replacement soon. But these guys as well can still be traded away for situational players with more affordable contracts or high draft picks we can use.