There are 213 users in the forums

Is Ted Ginn Jr. still alive?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by hohbie:
Im fine with Williams taking over returns. Sit Ginn and activate Jenkins.

truth

Ted Ginn took 2 punt returns to the house in 1 game last year. He consistently set the offense up with good field position all of last year. The dude was a HUGE factor in the field position game. We need him returning kicks.
I get that. Beyond the first game with the two returns he never did anything too big. He usually grabs the punt, runs 5-10 yards and steps out of bounds. I am perfectly fine with that, but I think Williams can do it. I would like to see Jenkins get on the field though since he is (or appears to be) a better receiver than Ginn or Williams. I feel like we are holding two active roster spots for return guys. I would like to see one active and the other inactive and get another receiving threat in there. Williams can do everything Ginn can but can actually catch the ball so he wins by default.
I still see Ginn as a deep threat if put on the field opposite of Moss both might get double coverage. Although Mario Manningham is starting to show he does possess a ton of speed.
Originally posted by NinerTeam:
I still see Ginn as a deep threat if put on the field opposite of Moss both might get double coverage. Although Mario Manningham is starting to show he does possess a ton of speed.

I like Manningham a lot, he's one of those guys that knows how to juke defenders without the ball in his hands. He is also very good at doing it when he does have it. Kyle Williams fits this mold as well. Ginn on the other hand is just fast and as a WR he goes to the ground almost every time he makes a reception.
Glad to see Ginn back out there Sunday. First game back for him so I didn't expect much. Want to see more from Ginn against the Bills. Pretty soon this team will be buzzing with different combo of receivers downfield catching balls. Then there won't be any complaint
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
LOL. People like me were called crazy when we said in the offseason that Ginn was expendable. Im not ready to crown KW, but i like what i have seen. Ginn's biggest problem in the return game is not being decisive and "hitting it" as soon as he has the ball. KW may not have the vision, or ability to find holes where there arent any, but atleast he pounds it in there and gets what he can, and he has the speed to take it if its there.

Ginn was largely overrated by Niners fans based on last years performance, while totally ignoring his history in the league.
i still think we got a pretty decent bargain for what a sixth round draft pick? and yes i know he has been hurt but i think we will get out moneys worth for the rest of this year , my hope is that jenkins or james will take over that job next year. that is assuming ginn is gone after this year. Kyle may end up staying for a while?

Oh dont get me wrong. For what we got out of him last season he was worth the trade. I just dont understand why alot of posters think he is the best thing since sliced bread. Alot of people on these boards were trying to argue that he was the best return man in football.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
LOL. People like me were called crazy when we said in the offseason that Ginn was expendable. Im not ready to crown KW, but i like what i have seen. Ginn's biggest problem in the return game is not being decisive and "hitting it" as soon as he has the ball. KW may not have the vision, or ability to find holes where there arent any, but atleast he pounds it in there and gets what he can, and he has the speed to take it if its there.

Ginn was largely overrated by Niners fans based on last years performance, while totally ignoring his history in the league.
i still think we got a pretty decent bargain for what a sixth round draft pick? and yes i know he has been hurt but i think we will get out moneys worth for the rest of this year , my hope is that jenkins or james will take over that job next year. that is assuming ginn is gone after this year. Kyle may end up staying for a while?

Oh dont get me wrong. For what we got out of him last season he was worth the trade. I just dont understand why alot of posters think he is the best thing since sliced bread. Alot of people on these boards were trying to argue that he was the best return man in football.
i like ginn very much but I never hated kyle, I was always a fan. Maybe the people who did not like kyle after the giants game has seen how much his return game has improved and are now more willing to part ways with ginn? I understand why the niners were able to resign ginn. He is a average at best wide out with great speed who is a great return man but in some respects he is a one trick pony. There was no market for him and maybe just maybe the niners took him back just in case kyle faltered again. i think the two kids we drafted will take over return duties next year and ginn will be gone which i am fine with... he is not as good as the guy from the bears
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
can they please throw a go route to Teddy Ginn aint nobody that can run with him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
can they please throw a go route to Teddy Ginn aint nobody that can run with him.

i do wonder if he will get more snaps than moss. if so that does not bode well for moss?

i do wonder if he will get more snaps than moss. if so that does not bode well for moss?

But will he catch it?

But will he catch it?

Damn the Zone. A couple of bad drops and we are all over it, and won't let you forget ...

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

But will he catch it?

Damn the Zone. A couple of bad drops and we are all over it, and won't let you forget ...

I think him and Dez Bryant probably got the same catching skills.

But will he catch it?

A couple? his whole career has been bad drops.

However saying all this, at this point, i would not cut Ginn this season. We need to make sure he and KW are available, and injurys dont force a rookie back there or something drastic like that. I personally would have replaced him in the offseason, but now that the season is here it makes no sense to cut him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

But will he catch it?

A couple? his whole career has been bad drops.

However saying all this, at this point, i would not cut Ginn this season. We need to make sure he and KW are available, and injurys dont force a rookie back there or something drastic like that. I personally would have replaced him in the offseason, but now that the season is here it makes no sense to cut him.
agree, good job idaho
Share 49ersWebzone