LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

On Further Review

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

1. Ponder's completion % (60) was much lower than Smith's but he hit a number of very big plays when he had to do so. I was wondering if some of you guys who are watching the game over again can tell us if the big passes happened after big runs by AP. Just curious.

In the first HALF (three successful scoring drives out of four), Ponder just dinked us and helped move the chains with shorter passes to take advantage of our sissy cushions.

In the second HALF (one successful scoring drive out of six, but very long one), same story... short passes under 15 yds to take advantage of our sissy cushions.

Ponder had a 5.7 yd average... so that says a lot, right? His longest pass was in that 2nd quarter drive that was about 17 yards but he got another 7 of YAC yds.

All of this is to say.. that there were no big passes... just short stuff because Fangio played this one like a wuss.
Explaining this loss is very simple, we didn't capitalize on the opportunities that we had and the Vikings played very well. Take out the following 3 mistakes and we win that game:

1. Failed to score after K. Williams 94 yard kick return. We should have been able to get 7 here. Poor play calling and poor execution by offense.

2. Field goal got blocked. Blame the field-goal unit and bad luck (this rarely happens).

3. Fumbled the ball away in our own territory. This one is on Gore.
Upon further review

1. being down by 11 points with 7 minutes left the 49ers needed to throw on 2 out of 3 downs, would have preserved the clock and gave the team a chance.
2. When Alex saw they where defending the pass, he should NOT have audibled to a run play. He played right into the defenses plan, let the clock go down.
3. With 6 minutes left, and down by 11, the team should NOT have punted. The defense had not stopped the Vikings Offense all day, down by two there is a time when you have to fo ALL IN and that was the moment.
4. I really thought Kaepernick should have been in on the 3rd and long plays. He adds a dimension of speed that Alex does not have. You can fry me for this, but it is my opinion that if you need big chunk of yards, he is a better qb either by air or by his feet.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
In the first HALF (three successful scoring drives out of four), Ponder just dinked us and helped move the chains with shorter passes to take advantage of our sissy cushions.

In the second HALF (one successful scoring drive out of six, but very long one), same story... short passes under 15 yds to take advantage of our sissy cushions.

Ponder had a 5.7 yd average... so that says a lot, right? His longest pass was in that 2nd quarter drive that was about 17 yards but he got another 7 of YAC yds.

All of this is to say.. that there were no big passes... just short stuff because Fangio played this one like a wuss.

Thanks Oldman9er--it did seem that the D was playing very lethargically and that may have been part of the problem along with a lethargic game plan. I was so surprised that a JH team would come out with so little fire. Early game in the Midwest? I take that flight a couple of times a year and it is always is jet lag time for some reason...love coming home though! Oh well, no big deal, just one loss.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Upon further review

1. being down by 11 points with 7 minutes left the 49ers needed to throw on 2 out of 3 downs, would have preserved the clock and gave the team a chance.
2. When Alex saw they where defending the pass, he should NOT have audibled to a run play. He played right into the defenses plan, let the clock go down.
3. With 6 minutes left, and down by 11, the team should NOT have punted. The defense had not stopped the Vikings Offense all day, down by two there is a time when you have to fo ALL IN and that was the moment.
4. I really thought Kaepernick should have been in on the 3rd and long plays. He adds a dimension of speed that Alex does not have. You can fry me for this, but it is my opinion that if you need big chunk of yards, he is a better qb either by air or by his feet.

You are not thinking of the right drive. The one at 7 minutes was a pass to Rio on curl route for 4 yds... a DROP by VD on a curl route that would have been another 5 yds... and then another incomplete to VD on crossing route.

The one I think u must be talking about? I agree wholeheartedly about. Pretty certain you are thinking of the sequence of plays starting from the 10:48 mark... the 2 runs called prior to the 3rd and 8 where Alex and Rio were not on the same page to convert... and YES... those 2 run calls SUCKED.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Upon further review

Agreed. I was really surprised JH punted here. Also, I thought the offense should have gone no-huddle here to try to get a quick score and preserve some time, especially with MINN grinding out the clock on our tired defense. It just looked like there was no sense of urgency.

As far as Kap, I thought for sure they would have sprinkled some plays for him in the game considering how he ran against them in the preseason. Come out in that same look but have him throw it?

They whole team was just flat in all phases. Game planning, play calling, execution; all of it. Hopefully, it's just a hiccup and not a trend...
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

1. Ponder's completion % (60) was much lower than Smith's but he hit a number of very big plays when he had to do so. I was wondering if some of you guys who are watching the game over again can tell us if the big passes happened after big runs by AP. Just curious.

This made me laugh so hard..and then made me cry b/c it's SO true! Get some balls Fangio; AZ & Seattle are making our D look like two-hand touch AFTER the opposition catches every single pass (esp. on 3rd downs). We might want to learn how to stop a swing pass too? Maybe? Call me...
Originally posted by NCommand:
This made me laugh so hard..and then made me cry b/c it's SO true! Get some balls Fangio; AZ & Seattle are making our D look like two-hand touch AFTER the opposition catches every single pass (esp. on 3rd downs). We might want to learn how to stop a swing pass too? Maybe? Call me...

Execution lost us this game not vic fangio
Originally posted by DirtyP:

Execution lost us this game not vic fangio

Agreed across the board BUT, if I had to pick one issue that allowed the Vikings to sustain drives, absolutely OWN the TOP and only give our offense a total of 8 chances to see the field, it was Fangio's philosophy to allow clean and free releases of receivers off the LOS AND playing 10 miles off them (esp. on 3rd downs).
Whether coaching, execution, playcalling, drops,fumbles...it all looked like the 49ers never took the wake-up call, and just came out and went thru the motions. It is really hard to put a finger on it, but nothing, starting with coaching and playcalls, looked like we did for the past two weeks...Also, Vikes were really jacked for this game, and ponder played the game of his life...plus he was lucky.

Agreed across the board BUT, if I had to pick one issue that allowed the Vikings to sustain drives, absolutely OWN the TOP and only give our offense a total of 8 chances to see the field, it was Fangio's philosophy to allow clean and free releases of receivers off the LOS AND playing 10 miles off them (esp. on 3rd downs).

we had the same number of possessions as the Vikings. TOP loss was caused by the offense.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Whether coaching, execution, playcalling, drops,fumbles...it all looked like the 49ers never took the wake-up call, and just came out and went thru the motions. It is really hard to put a finger on it, but nothing, starting with coaching and playcalls, looked like we did for the past two weeks...Also, Vikes were really jacked for this game, and ponder played the game of his life...plus he was lucky.

all of this.. yes. I think our first drive, we came out hungry... but we were losing intensity somewhere along the way and then kinda going through the motions. This is harder to quantify, as you are talking about 22 individuals who were up and down with their intensity levels.

It should have worked, execution on defense (while in good position) cost us plays that could have gotten us both off the field on and in the end zone.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:

It should have worked, execution on defense (while in good position) cost us plays that could have gotten us both off the field on and in the end zone.
not to mention just a overall lack of energy from both sides of the ball and coaches. i guess they thought it was ten am
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
No thoughts about the D?

Or our continued vulnerability to the screen? Any thoughts about the lack of a pass rush?

The problem with last week's game was that our D was ripped to shreds, and everyone has a blueprint.

Fortunately, not everyone has Peterson as a running back, so we can fudge that.

D was okay. Game could have turned on the fumble Harvin recovered or the missed interception. You could say the linebackers gave Petersen lots of respect, which he deserves.

How can you say the D was ok? It gave up 140+ yards rushing and 3 drives of 80+ yards. It could not get off the field, main reason why the Vikes controlled the time of possession by 7+ minutes.

we should change the D , not our inept O for the last year and a half !
play a couple of good game because it was set up by the D ! com on Man Alex is inept the HC don't trust him , he and everyone in this world knows where he is going with the ball , first VD 2nd Craps , anybody else throw deep maybe to Moss one on one or anything ! duck and run .

If you think the defense was ok on Sunday, you don't know football!! No one is suggesting to change it, but anyone who knows football can agree that it was awful against the Vikes!!
Share 49ersWebzone