LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

On Further Review

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After watching the Coaches Film (courtesy of Whomeam) the Viking game is much clearer in my head. Here's what I observed;

1. Ponder only looked for his first option, if it was covered he scrambled or ran.
2. Even on running plays the Viking safeties were backpedaling away from the line of scrimmage.
3. The Viking linebackers, for the most part, were near the line of scrimmage until the last few minutes of the game.
4. Every time Alex rolled to his right to pass it was a short throw.
5. The intermediate pass over the middle could have been exploited more.
6.Hunter was ineffective. The game called for the Niners to pound Frank up the middle.
7. Petersen is the best back in football (even after the surgery), however, his upright running style and planting at the line of scrimmage to find
find an opening is tough on the knees.
8.All in all the game wasn't that bad, we had our shots but bad calls and poor execution cost us more than the Vikings did. Ponder played the game of his life.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
After watching the Coaches Film (courtesy of Whomeam) the Viking game is much clearer in my head. Here's what I observed;

1. Ponder only looked for his first option, if it was covered he scrambled or ran.
2. Even on running plays the Viking safeties were backpedaling away from the line of scrimmage.
3. The Viking linebackers, for the most part, were near the line of scrimmage until the last few minutes of the game.
6.Hunter was ineffective. The game called for the Niners to pound Frank up the middle.
7. Petersen is the best back in football (even after the surgery), however, his upright running style and planting at the line of scrimmage to find
8.All in all the game wasn't that bad, we had our shots but bad calls and poor execution cost us more than the Vikings did. Ponder played the game of his life.

I think that's important, and it's how a lot of teams have been defending us. Contrary to popular belief, Alex and Davis are pretty good at the long ball and defenses scheme against this.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Sep 26, 2012 at 11:46 PM ]

Ponder scrambled and ran because the pass rush was in his face.
Yes, Ponder played the game of his life.

7. Petersen is the best back in football (even after the surgery), however, his upright running style and planting at the line of scrimmage to find an opening is tough on the knees.

Well thanks doctor.

Spot on. Also, our secondary was crap in the first half. The play calling wasn't as bad as I thought originally. We had some plays dialed in that worked. Just did not execute.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Change the thread title to "Upon further review." That would be the correct title
[ Edited by ApatheticIAm on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM ]
Really glad to see the videos getting used for things like this, thanks duder.
No thoughts about the D?

Or our continued vulnerability to the screen? Any thoughts about the lack of a pass rush?

The problem with last week's game was that our D was ripped to shreds, and everyone has a blueprint.

Fortunately, not everyone has Peterson as a running back, so we can fudge that.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM ]
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
No thoughts about the D?

Or our continued vulnerability to the screen? Any thoughts about the lack of a pass rush?

The problem with last week's game was that our D was ripped to shreds, and everyone has a blueprint.

D was okay. Game could have turned on the fumble Harvin recovered or the missed interception. You could say the linebackers gave Petersen lots of respect, which he deserves.
I rewatched it on NFL Rewind. And overall I have to say Ponder was hitting miracle throws. Totally covered, pass rusher in his face, falling away, throwing off balance, on his back foot and completing miracle throws 20 yards down the field into heavy coverage. Honeslty I don't think Ponder could duplicate that again. He was unbelievable. The best I've ever seen him play.

We went away from Gore way too much in this game and it bit us. He still makes the thing go. It was throw, throw, throw, punt. And we got behind. A position we are not good from. Ahead we are a powerhouse with our defense and running game.

Inopputune times for fumbles and missing interceptions. Frank had an uncharacteristic fumble that cost us on a drive. The Whitner interception miss cost us 7. He had a clear path to the endzone. The personal foul on Goldson was not really a foul. His shoulder hit the player and not in the head. And he backed away at the end. That moved them way up on the drive. Some phantom pass interference calls. We never capitalized on all the Toby fumbles. Those were late though. The one time the ball squirted out of Adrian Petersons hands and pops miraculasly into a Vikings hands passing all 49ers in the area. Just a lot of fluke plays in this game. Tons of turnovers we could have had or could have capitalized on. But we didn't.

I think people read too much into this game.

No thoughts about the D?

D was okay. Game could have turned on the fumble Harvin recovered or the missed interception. You could say the linebackers gave Petersen lots of respect, which he deserves.

How can you say the D was ok? It gave up 140+ yards rushing and 3 drives of 80+ yards. It could not get off the field, main reason why the Vikes controlled the time of possession by 7+ minutes.
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
No thoughts about the D?

How can you say the D was ok? It gave up 140+ yards rushing and 3 drives of 80+ yards. It could not get off the field, main reason why the Vikes controlled the time of possession by 7+ minutes.

Really must agree... if for NO other reason than that I am still not in awe whatsoever of the weapons the Vikes have. I don't see Harvin as a Calvin Johnson class weapon... the TE? fairly average and shouldn't give our S/LBs trouble in the way that a guy like Jimmy Graham can... AP is awesome, but we contained him enough.. should have done better but the Vikes did well in getting us in Nickel and running up the gut. Ponder played out his arse, but he had mostly open receivers that ran their routes free without disruption. (we had DT backups on the field when Ponder exploited us up the gut for that TD run, btw)

Thanks for the observations!

7. He reminds me of Dickerson, who played twelve years but only five complete seasons. Roger Craig played upright but with high knee action--11 years with only one year playing fewer than 15 games. Much healthier.
6. Was very surprised with the game plan not utilizing Gore and Hunter more early in the game.
5. Smith completed 68.8% of his throws so I'm not displease with his performance from that standpoint. Not as sharp as the previous week but that game was very special.
4. Seemed to me that Smith had very little time on his rolls and was pressured most often...but I haven't watched the game again.
3. This is why I was surprised Hunter, Gore and VD were seldom used to drift over the middle...odd schemes for this game, seemed like the coaches just guessed wrong.
2. Taking away the long ball? Really? I thought Smith couldn't throw the long ball! Did they suspect the coaches would build the game plan around showcasing Moss' return?
1. Ponder's completion % (60) was much lower than Smith's but he hit a number of very big plays when he had to do so. I was wondering if some of you guys who are watching the game over again can tell us if the big passes happened after big runs by AP. Just curious.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Really must agree... if for NO other reason than that I am still not in awe whatsoever of the weapons the Vikes have. I don't see Harvin as a Calvin Johnson class weapon... the TE? fairly average and shouldn't give our S/LBs trouble in the way that a guy like Jimmy Graham can... AP is awesome, but we contained him enough.. should have done better but the Vikes did well in getting us in Nickel and running up the gut. Ponder played out his arse, but he had mostly open receivers that ran their routes free without disruption. (we had DT backups on the field when Ponder exploited us up the gut for that TD run, btw)

There is no one who is a "Calvin Johnson class weapon" except Calvin Johnson. I think you are underrating Harvin and Rudolph, both are very good players.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Sep 27, 2012 at 7:31 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
No thoughts about the D?

we should change the D , not our inept O for the last year and a half !
play a couple of good game because it was set up by the D ! com on Man Alex is inept the HC don't trust him , he and everyone in this world knows where he is going with the ball , first VD 2nd Craps , anybody else throw deep maybe to Moss one on one or anything ! duck and run .
Share 49ersWebzone