LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

FootballOutsiders: 'Dewey Defeats DVOA!' (Vikings Didn't really outplay 49e

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Couldn't agree more...and I would add that for the first time in the Harbaugh era, the team was out-coached. Minnesota's game plan was much better and the Vikes executed it nearly flawlessly... I had a bad feeling about this game during the week because Ponder had played very well thus far this year and it seemed his team was playing with some confidence. Also, I think AP's remarkable recovery from his knee injury has inspired that team to some extent.

To put it bluntly, the Niners didn't respect their opponent enough and didn't come out with any intensity at all. I was really disappointed in the teams' effort in this game, especially defensively. Also, it didn't appear that Fangio made any adjustments during the game at all. After the Niners closed to within 17-13 in the second half, the defense allowed the Vikes to go on a long TD drive that switched the momentum back, got the crowd back into the game, and essentially, ended it. If I recall correctly, the Niners didn't blitz once on that drive.

Offensively, the team didn't show any urgency either, even when they were behind by 11 in the fourth quarter. Why not go to a no-huddle? I put that on Harbaugh and Roman frankly. There also seemed to be some confusion about the play calls late in the game too. There is still time to clean all of this up and I know it is hard to maintain strong intensity throughout a long NFL season but this is a game the Niners really should have won....and didn't really come close to winning.

One thing I've learned in my over 40 years of watching the NFL....a team should never, ever assume a road victory....ever.

Cheers!

You're one of my absolute favorite posters!
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
This thread/article is about the game in general, a statistical fluke and "you-know-who" STILL has to turn it into a #11 thread.

LMFAO
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We lost because the Defense slept walked through the first half and the offense couldn't recover in the second half.

They took us out of our game and we did not adjust in time.

Couldn't agree more...and I would add that for the first time in the Harbaugh era, the team was out-coached. Minnesota's game plan was much better and the Vikes executed it nearly flawlessly... I had a bad feeling about this game during the week because Ponder had played very well thus far this year and it seemed his team was playing with some confidence. Also, I think AP's remarkable recovery from his knee injury has inspired that team to some extent.

To put it bluntly, the Niners didn't respect their opponent enough and didn't come out with any intensity at all. I was really disappointed in the teams' effort in this game, especially defensively. Also, it didn't appear that Fangio made any adjustments during the game at all. After the Niners closed to within 17-13 in the second half, the defense allowed the Vikes to go on a long TD drive that switched the momentum back, got the crowd back into the game, and essentially, ended it. If I recall correctly, the Niners didn't blitz once on that drive.

Offensively, the team didn't show any urgency either, even when they were behind by 11 in the fourth quarter. Why not go to a no-huddle? I put that on Harbaugh and Roman frankly. There also seemed to be some confusion about the play calls late in the game too. There is still time to clean all of this up and I know it is hard to maintain strong intensity throughout a long NFL season but this is a game the Niners really should have won....and didn't really come close to winning.

One thing I've learned in my over 40 years of watching the NFL....a team should never, ever assume a road victory....ever.

Cheers!

Was their offensive game plan really better? AP wasn't running the ball well in that first half.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We lost because the Defense slept walked through the first half and the offense couldn't recover in the second half.

They took us out of our game and we did not adjust in time.

Cheers!

Was their offensive game plan really better? AP wasn't running the ball well in that first half.

No, it wasn't necessarily that their's was better it was the fact that we got away from what made us successful. We are not a quick striking offense and we came out throwing the ball without establishing the run.
I hate threads like these. Give the Vikings credit Ponder played amazing AP looked good and there O-Line played amazing that is all onto the jets.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by HoRneR:
I hate threads like these. Give the Vikings credit Ponder played amazing AP looked good and there O-Line played amazing that is all onto the jets.

yup

just admit we got beat and move on.
I think the 49ers are more than capable of beating minnesota. But they didn't on sunday. It was no fluke, Minny played better at almost all facets of the game. credit where its due
Who are we kidding? The Vikings completely outplayed us because of a rotten defensive game plan on our behalf. Having played the Vikes in preseason, we knew that the Vikes are going to hit us hard with Kyle Rudolph over the middle. What happened? LOL Kyle Rudolph ate us alive over the middle.

No, this is plain arrogance on our behalf. Coaches thought we could just show up unprepared. Hope we learned a good lesson here.
The Vikings beat the crap out of the 49ers on both sides of the ball all day long. When the Vikings needed a play they were able to make it happen. The 49ers looked like a mess out there. Let's not sound like seahawk fans and make excuses for our team every time they lose.
The 49ers were outplayed outcoached and outright horrible.

http://footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2012/any-given-sunday-vikings-over-49ers

I seriously don't know what some people see when they watch the games. oldman and some others, I'm sure you try very hard on your play by play but some things you say regarding Alex and your vision of what you see him do or must go through compared to other QB's is questioning:

From the article above:

Bill Barnwell called this game a case of the Vikings "out Niner-ing the Niners," and while that rings true to me in some ways, the Vikings also have an offensive philosophy in the passing game that the 49ers are not really built to stop.

Call of the Game
Minnesota faced fourth-and-goal from the 1 with 7:25 left in the first quarter. Many a head coach would be content to take the three and start the game with a lead, but Leslie Frazier would have none of it. He sent Christian Ponder out, called a play-action bootleg, and despite the fact that Dashon Goldson was barreling down on Ponder, Ponder sent a strike to Kyle Rudolph for seven.

"Adrian Peterson's presence and Ponder's own natural running ability allows Minnesota to run a lot of play-action."

"Right now, though, the passing portion of this offense is built on finding the first or second read, and putting the ball in Harvin's hands."

They rely heavily on Harvin and Ponder's ability to run. It wasn't just a "lucky" game by Ponder. That's what he does.

with a little improvement ponder can be the next jt o'sullivan

Moral Victory
Originally posted by boast:
I seriously don't know what some people see when they watch the games. oldman and some others, I'm sure you try very hard on your play by play but some things you say regarding Alex and your vision of what you see him do or must go through compared to other QB's is questioning:

From the article above:

Quote:
Bill Barnwell called this game a case of the Vikings "out Niner-ing the Niners," and while that rings true to me in some ways, the Vikings also have an offensive philosophy in the passing game that the 49ers are not really built to stop.

Call of the Game
Minnesota faced fourth-and-goal from the 1 with 7:25 left in the first quarter. Many a head coach would be content to take the three and start the game with a lead, but Leslie Frazier would have none of it. He sent Christian Ponder out, called a play-action bootleg, and despite the fact that Dashon Goldson was barreling down on Ponder, Ponder sent a strike to Kyle Rudolph for seven.

"Adrian Peterson's presence and Ponder's own natural running ability allows Minnesota to run a lot of play-action."

"Right now, though, the passing portion of this offense is built on finding the first or second read, and putting the ball in Harvin's hands."

They rely heavily on Harvin and Ponder's ability to run. It wasn't just a "lucky" game by Ponder. That's what he does.

Ponder was "lucky" Whitner dropped that INT

Yep! correct! Whitner is worst cuz he dont know to grab that INT...
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by HoRneR:

yup

just admit we got beat and move on.

Yap, our pal made good use of those corner endzone routes didn't he? Boowhaaaa........
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Wait a minute....in other threads, your mantra on Ponder last week is that he played great WHEN THE PLAYS BROKE DOWN...unlike Smith. NOW, you are saying that this was all part of the game plan? Seems contradictory to me, dude.

Typical of the said poster, did you expect different?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Is Ponder more athletic? Looked like it.
Did he outplay Smith last week? Yep.
Did Smith stand like a statute? I don't think so.
Is your point clear to me? No. I still don't get it. That's ok.

Not sure where you are getting your assumption:

"...Ponder's own natural running ability allows Minnesota to run a lot of play-action." I sure they run play action to complete the pass within the design of the play over Ponder running around and finding a WR out of his route.

?

im lost too

So is Joe...
Share 49ersWebzone