There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Some things I've noticed after 3 weeks

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
First of all, we are spoiled. The Harbaugh era has been filled with wins and competitive losses. This is the first time we were badly beaten and out of contention in a Harbaugh coached game.

That being said, the team looked unprepared, disengaged and maybe even overconfident. I have to give great credit to the Vikes, their game plan was well executed. Ours was pathetic, lacked creativity and was not adjusted as the game went on.......on neither side of the ball.

We got badly beaten by the Ravens last thanksgiving so this is actually the 2nd time we've been whopped. Thats not important though, what is how we got beat and we got beat hard, if KW hadn't have had those awesome returns it would've been a complete and utter meltdown in all phases and even then you can still say so because of the blocked FG.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The pass rush has fallen off a cliff from last year. This was no more so evident than today where it seemed that Ponder had all the time in the world to throw. As you mentioned, not having a 3rd legitimate OLB is killing us right now.

Also, the Vikings exploited us again and again when they moved Ponder away from the pocket. We just had no answer for the bootlegs and rollouts. I think this will get fixed but I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Offensively, to me it was just a lack of execution today. Some of the playcalling was questionable at times but we just seemed too stagnant. I agree that we need to go vertical a little more.

I'd also like to mention that we've just had too many special teams mishaps:
Week 1: Punt return for TD (shouldn't have happened but still..)
Week 2: Fumbled kickoff return by Hunter
Week 3: Blocked field goal

This has got to change around.

is aldon wmith best used as a starter---i still think he gives more pass rush if used like last year...of course that would mean finding an olb to play in the base defense

I have to agree. Aldon Smith's strength is in rushing the QB. Now that he plays in the base defense, he has to help out in run support as well; effectively mitigating the chances that he has to go after the QB. Our OLB rotation was perfect last year and I now realize that even if Haralson had been healthy this season, it still would have been premature for Smith to start at OLB.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
The pass rush has fallen off a cliff from last year. This was no more so evident than today where it seemed that Ponder had all the time in the world to throw. As you mentioned, not having a 3rd legitimate OLB is killing us right now.

Also, the Vikings exploited us again and again when they moved Ponder away from the pocket. We just had no answer for the bootlegs and rollouts. I think this will get fixed but I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Offensively, to me it was just a lack of execution today. Some of the playcalling was questionable at times but we just seemed too stagnant. I agree that we need to go vertical a little more.

is aldon wmith best used as a starter---i still think he gives more pass rush if used like last year...of course that would mean finding an olb to play in the base defense

I have to agree. Aldon Smith's strength is in rushing the QB. Now that he plays in the base defense, he has to help out in run support as well; effectively mitigating the chances that he has to go after the QB. Our OLB rotation was perfect last year and I now realize that even if Haralson had been healthy this season, it still would have been premature for Smith to start at OLB.

Aside from the TD to Rudolph(I know almost no one successfully defends that play so no hard feels on on Aldon) Aldon had a great game, great open field tackles and even some coverage, but unless we play a scheme were he can be our Terrell Suggs and get in the backfield very frequently I am sort of agreeing with people that Aldon shouldn't be an every down OLB. But then reasoning tells me that the 3 games I've seen Aldon as a full time OLB I've seen so much more positive then negative and the fact that he has 2.5 (or 3 depending on how you look at the stupid reviewed sack) through 3 games and countless more QB hits and pressures tells me that Aldon is probably further along in his development then we are giving him credit for.

His current stat projection is 45 tackles + 15 assisted tackles + 12.5 sacks. No reason to worry about Aldon, now if we want him to be like Tuck, JPP or Jared Allen then we would leave him as 3rd down DE or go completely 4-3 and have him as full time DE.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:29 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

Aside from the TD to Rudolph(I know almost no one successfully defends that play so no hard feels on on Aldon) Aldon had a great game, great open field tackles and even some coverage, but unless we play a scheme were he can be our Terrell Suggs and get in the backfield very frequently I am sort of agreeing with people that Aldon shouldn't be an every down OLB. But then reasoning tells me that the 3 games I've seen Aldon as a full time OLB I've seen so much more positive then negative and the fact that he has 2.5 (or 3 depending on how you look at the stupid reviewed sack) through 3 games and countless more QB hits and pressures tells me that Aldon is probably further along in his development then we are giving him credit for.

His current stat projection is 45 tackles + 15 assisted tackles + 12.5 sacks. No reason to worry about Aldon, now if we want him to be like Tuck, JPP or Jared Allen then we would leave him as 3rd down DE or go completely 4-3 and have him as full time DE.

Agreed that Smith hasn't necessarily been playing subpar. While Smith would now have been in the base defense regardless, it just seems that we would have fixed what wasn't broken. A lot of the pressures and QB hits that we achieved last year were from Aldon Smith.
MUST WIN next week? C'mon, man. There are only three undefeated teams in the entire NFL and the Niners are ONE game back with THIRTEEN weeks to go. Ease up, jReff.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Even the sun sets in paradise.

I like it. Good one, mayo.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I agree with you on the coaching/playcalling, I really would like to see them stretch the field more often like how other teams do (especially when the game dictates it, like today's). I remember hearing Alex (or was it Harbaugh) say "we want to make them defend the entire field"....well then why aren't they at least stretching it?

Look at offenses like Falcons, Ravens, etc...they are dangerous going deep.... yeah I know they have guys like Juilo Jones and Torry Smith, but why not start using Aj Jenkins as a deep threat??.....not sure if it's more a philosophy or a limitation with this team.

Sunday was an embarrasment in offensive play calling. Down by two scores the offense was running plays like they where UP two scores and trying to run out the clock. They HAVE to be working on the no huddle drill in practice, the 4th quarter should have been all no huddle. Going into the 4th quarter I was hoping they would put alex in the shot gun, put 4 WR's out their spread the field and start throwing.

I put this loss on the coaches. Alex was not given the green light to open up the play book. BS in my book
Agree. Also, punt with 6 minutes to play down by 11? Lol
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
MUST WIN next week? C'mon, man. There are only three undefeated teams in the entire NFL and the Niners are ONE game back with THIRTEEN weeks to go. Ease up, jReff.

until the Cards lose every game is a must win
Originally posted by jreff22:
I have no issue benching Dixon and starting James and benching Moss and starting Jenkins....if Moss is a 10 play decoy we get do better with a rookie

special teams coach says different.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Agreed that Smith hasn't necessarily been playing subpar. While Smith would now have been in the base defense regardless, it just seems that we would have fixed what wasn't broken. A lot of the pressures and QB hits that we achieved last year were from Aldon Smith.

Well Its weird to say it but Brooks and Aldon aren't the problem. Its honestly our DL -- we aren't getting where near the push we got last year. But its like people say, Aldon didn't hit his stride until week 4 last year and same with Brooks, he didn't have a sack until week 3. Their late blooming into last season was offset by Justin Smith(2 sacks week 1) and Ray Mac( 1 sack in week 1 and 1 sack in week 2) getting 4 sacks the first 2 weeks.

This year, Aldon(2.5 sacks in weeks 1 + 2) and Brooks (1 sack week 1) are the ones getting pressure early on and the DL has only 0.5 sacks and it was Ray mac getting unwarranted credit on Aldon's play. The problem isn't our OLBs its our DL not getting push or taking up enough blockers to allow for consistant pressure from Aldon and Ahmad.

The problem might even itself out just like last year but its very obvious that the roles have switched so far this year. Our DL isn't getting pressure and were putting it completely on the OLBs.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
I agree with you on the coaching/playcalling, I really would like to see them stretch the field more often like how other teams do (especially when the game dictates it, like today's). I remember hearing Alex (or was it Harbaugh) say "we want to make them defend the entire field"....well then why aren't they at least stretching it?

Look at offenses like Falcons, Ravens, etc...they are dangerous going deep.... yeah I know they have guys like Juilo Jones and Torry Smith, but why not start using Aj Jenkins as a deep threat??.....not sure if it's more a philosophy or a limitation with this team.
that is the million dollar question. Get Jenkins on the field.

Well Its weird to say it but Brooks and Aldon aren't the problem. Its honestly our DL -- we aren't getting where near the push we got last year. But its like people say, Aldon didn't hit his stride until week 4 last year and same with Brooks, he didn't have a sack until week 3. Their late blooming into last season was offset by Justin Smith(2 sacks week 1) and Ray Mac( 1 sack in week 1 and 1 sack in week 2) getting 4 sacks the first 2 weeks.

This year, Aldon(2.5 sacks in weeks 1 + 2) and Brooks (1 sack week 1) are the ones getting pressure early on and the DL has only 0.5 sacks and it was Ray mac getting unwarranted credit on Aldon's play. The problem isn't our OLBs its our DL not getting push or taking up enough blockers to allow for consistant pressure from Aldon and Ahmad.

The problem might even itself out just like last year but its very obvious that the roles have switched so far this year. Our DL isn't getting pressure and were putting it completely on the OLBs.
Good post. So far Raymac and Smith just haven't been as good as they were last year. And when they go to a 4 man front, those stunts take too much time to get to the qb. Notice how they only create pressure with stunts. Guys aren't beating their man and just making plays.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

Good post. So far Raymac and Smith just haven't been as good as they were last year. And when they go to a 4 man front, those stunts take too much time to get to the qb. Notice how they only create pressure with stunts. Guys aren't beating their man and just making plays.

Yep, if we have to resort to what is essentially a trick to get sacks then something is wrong. We need more creative blitzing if anything on those 4 man fronts, send the front 4 1 on 1 and then send a late DB or ILB through one of the gaps, I haven't seen anything like that yet. But I'm just disappointed that there really hasn't been a single handedly finished sack yet this year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

until the Cards lose every game is a must win

I agree with this. I think us chasing the Cards for the top spot is the most disappointing thing for me considering all the QB controversy and drama they had in the offseason.