There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Guess What? Now we're "Old Fashioned."

• cciowa
  • Veteran
i love how we befuddle the so called experts. just gives more ammunition to the us vs them attitude
BTW, we're not old fashioned. we're taking the next step into evolving the game (again).
Old Fashioned

As in winning more superbowls like we used to
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
BTW, we're not old fashioned. we're taking the next step into evolving the game (again).

yes but we should never be a pass heavy team, balance is the key and that's ingrained in Harbaugh's DNA
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Walsh and his teams were crapped on a lot too. "Finesse" was the condescending term then, I believe.

Yup. You're right. I had forgotten. We were a bunch of white wine drinking, cheese eaters. The morons are back.
the media wants to promote big play offensive teams, and that is not the 49ers.

we're actually preventing big play offenses from looking good. (Packers, Lions) therefore, they don't like us.

I was wondering about this the other day, since the NFL seems to be pushing its product toward a faster-paced, higher scoring game, does the success of the 49ers, with our focus on fundamentals and balance, represent a problem for the NFL?
Originally posted by Overkill:
We're old fashioned because Harbaugh didn't fall for the cult of QB stuff that grew up around guys like Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, and Brady. No team can win without going to a spread style, passing dominated offense - "the rules have changed". Remember that crap? That was the supposed "new" NFL style. Hello, Detroit.

We're showing football is still a team sport. We're winning because we have perhaps the deepest roster in football and can win in all three phases of the game.

I'll take the "old fashioned" label and wear it with pride.

100% agree. Would like to add that imho the nfc west is starting to look like the last vestige of where a balanced, hard nosed program is held at a premium in these early stages of the season.
Because of rule changes most teams it seams have built and coached their teams around success through the air due to the rule changes. With all the passing going on the emphasis on the running game has has fallen to the way side. Im not sure but imo FO personnel, coaches have made the wrong choice in believing that just getting athletic players is enough of to offset running games these days as if scheme, preparation and will don't matter as much when trying to est. or defend the run.
Teams with in each division typically build their squads to beat the biggest dog there. On defense they build and enact ways to best attack the the strengths the O. On O they seem to try to mimic as best they can so as to at least try to keep up. Nfc north....yup; afc east.....yup; nfc east... yup.
I dont really dig writing long post but i think yall get the picture. The same thing is happening in the nfc west. Seattle is trying to build a balanced hard nosed team, ya know fisher m o already and the tards are trying....sorta
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
I think a lot of the "experts" are just having a hard time coming to grips with the idea of a team being successful WITHOUT passing the ball 400 yards per game. One of the most often repeated truisms in the NFL is that "it's a passing league now" and there's a tendency for people to get locked into the idea of a certain winning formula. When a team comes along that doesn't follow the formula and breaks the mold for success, it takes people a while to digest. First, they have to to accept that it's not a fluke, and next they have to stop and re-evaluate their underlying assumptions.

When Bill Walsh reinvented the formula for success in the early 80's, there were plenty of people who called it a gimmick. They said it was "finesse" football and a "dink and dunk" style of offense. Eventually, of course, everybody in the league ended up imitating Walsh's offense.
[ Edited by Lifer on Sep 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM ]
Who cares? I think it's a compliment actually
Originally posted by ninermedic:
the media wants to promote big play offensive teams, and that is not the 49ers.

we're actually preventing big play offenses from looking good. (Packers, Lions) therefore, they don't like us.

I was wondering about this the other day, since the NFL seems to be pushing its product toward a faster-paced, higher scoring game, does the success of the 49ers, with our focus on fundamentals and balance, represent a problem for the NFL?

we have a pretty solid fan base. so i don't think so.
Balance. Physical. Keep away offense. Winning football. Pittsburg optimize this but even they have gone away from it. Even the Giants is trying to regain that too.

Somewhere along the way offenses have changed to the passing game. Harbaugh don't play that fad game. We haven't the need to show our passing at full will because in the last 2 games we were able to be balance and staying ahead in those games. I think we have been leading the last 8 qtrs of play.
I like the term old fashioned or old school theres quite a few older news people amd not so big named analysts who do too. It represent having a full team that all functions together not a couple of superstars with over inflated contracts carrying a decent overall team. And my look on theold school, if the systems not broke theres no need to fix it.
Originally posted by Prospector:
You will get nothing but elitist, East Coast bias garbage from the national media, which should just be called the New York marketing department: "Pete Prisco was born on Long Island, which might be part of the reason he has that New York mentality as a reporter: right to the point. After living for a time outside of Philadelphia, where his first NFL game was the Eagles and Steelers at old Franklin Field."

The only thing Pete Priscos of the world care about is their filthy, overcrowded traffic jam of a coast. I bet the NY media want to get rid of the salary cap, so New York can simply buy more opportunities at championships, like with their Yankees. Forget ESPN and their dirty obsession with the East Coast. Don't give them any traffic.

Much better to go read good articles by knowledgeable fans. I have never linked to Bleacher Report before, but this article "Why the 49ers are set up for a legendary season" is one of the best I've read in a long time:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1337677-why-the-san-francisco-49ers-are-setup-for-a-legendary-season

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing.
Originally posted by HailJerry:
Originally posted by Prospector:
You will get nothing but elitist, East Coast bias garbage from the national media, which should just be called the New York marketing department: "Pete Prisco was born on Long Island, which might be part of the reason he has that New York mentality as a reporter: right to the point. After living for a time outside of Philadelphia, where his first NFL game was the Eagles and Steelers at old Franklin Field."

The only thing Pete Priscos of the world care about is their filthy, overcrowded traffic jam of a coast. I bet the NY media want to get rid of the salary cap, so New York can simply buy more opportunities at championships, like with their Yankees. Forget ESPN and their dirty obsession with the East Coast. Don't give them any traffic.

Much better to go read good articles by knowledgeable fans. I have never linked to Bleacher Report before, but this article "Why the 49ers are set up for a legendary season" is one of the best I've read in a long time:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1337677-why-the-san-francisco-49ers-are-setup-for-a-legendary-season

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing.

Nice article.

YEP.

I don't care about the bias, doesn't matter, might even benefit us for motivation.

I don't think we realize as SF fans how massive of a grudge a lot of non-49er NFL people hold for our revolutionary dynasty in the 80s. Grudges are dumb, smart teams will realizes whats going on in SF and start to build their teams modeled after us..... that's why AZ kind of scares me, I think they get it.