There are 187 users in the forums

Why All of the Drops with the Catchable Passes?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Goes back to the late 80's of Niners offense. Steve Young said with so many weapons on offense the ball could go to anywhere or anyone so they better be ready to look for and catch the ball. Our guys aren't used to Smith spreading it around last night. Maybe....
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex does not place his balls properly.

The Guy Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, coming to a theatre near you!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
My theory:

The ball is spread so much and we are not like a normal offense that feeds the usual players 10 or so times a game. Even our better players may not get called upon for an entire quarter due to the game plan.

So, when they do, they may get a little too excited or are not in a flow.

it's a good theory... QBs are not the only players that play better when they get into a steady rhythm. WRs can lose focus and energy being frequently used as decoys or just not getting enough love from their QB. That's how we play though, so they just gotta stay focused and ready.

I kind of agree with this but I was expecting someone to blame Alex for throwing these balls between the numbers or for hitting their hands...and that is why they couldn't catch it. B/c they aren't used to a QB throwing good, accurate passes and the players want to know who this QB is?

It sucks b/c most of these passes are RIGHT where they need to be for RAC and they are still dropping them. Did you see that catch by their TE last night? That one-hander, pulled it in across his body for like 8 yards? I only our guys could catch good throws...imagine the Madde/FF numbers! LOL

Totally, he placed nearly every ball perfectly. The Bruce Miller one was a little off but still easily catch-able with enough room to gather and run.
I thought someone mentioned that Smith was throwing it too hard and the receivers aren't used to it. Which is a bit silly. He has to make the pass zippy downfield for good timing. Otherwise it would be late to the window and usually those would be intercepted. If they want softer passes downfield they should get Shaun Hill back so the passes will be catchable by both the receivers and defenders equally.
Originally posted by Loco49er:

The Guy Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, coming to a theatre near you!
Lol O really, His job is to place it away from the defender, and hit the wr's in the hands. If you get a hand on the ball you need to catch it. The only time I question alex is when he throws high to crabtree, I figure Alex does this because he know's crabtree has long arms and strong hands, if he can't catch it the defender won't either.
Yes I have voodoo dolls of all the players and I put butter on their hands.

Like the doll I have of Romo and tweak his arm late in the 4th quarter of games. Sweet.

Drops have been an issue the last two games, especially Delanie, Harbs will get it fixed. Maybe make the players swim in Lake Erie while they are in OH if they drop passes in practice? That should do it. We beat two good teams even with the drops, and a lost fumble. Not worried at all, if we can keep winning while addressing this, we dont have anything to worry about. As long as it doesnt get as bad at the drops GB had against the Giants in the playoffs, we should be fine. Theres alot of teams out there that wish dropped passes were their only problems (Redskins losing 2 of their best players, Saints 0-2, CJ unable to run for more than 17 yards, etc....) Lets accept the fact that no team is perfect and our problems are fixable.
At a certain point I wondered why he even bothered throwing Delanie Walker the ball at all with the drops he had.
It is an interesting dilemma - getting the ball and then not catching it. Lot of that yesterday, in the GB game it seemed primarily Delanie Walker. It would seem fixable but that was a lot of drops in the game yesterday. If we can get it fixed we will have a dynamite offense.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Manninham alligator armed that one.

Alexcuser!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Left one hangs too low.

Wonder why Larry Fitzgerald catches the ball on the sidelines when his defense is on the field? Wonder why Smith holds a ball while he is on the sidelines? These guys know that it's important to keep that feel for the ball...perhaps our receivers had better start following suite!
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Left one hangs too low.

lol
Originally posted by NCommand:
It sucks b/c most of these passes are RIGHT where they need to be for RAC and they are still dropping them. Did you see that catch by their TE last night? That one-hander, pulled it in across his body for like 8 yards? I only our guys could catch good throws...imagine the Madde/FF numbers! LOL

Yep. Want to see our guys make the more amazing catches that I have seen from so many other teams over the years. Our guys are capable. So far, seems Crabtree is making nice high snags.. but still waiting for one of our guys to really bail Alex out with a highlight catch. Guess as long as Alex is throwing this accurately, we not ever need such catches.
What's with Moss? He caught 1 pass for 14 yds. Did he even play after that? Maybe I missed something when I went to get a drink from the frig.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
randy's not gonna be happy for long with such little contributions.
Share 49ersWebzone