There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 2: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Another Observation:

The Niners have made back-to-back elite QB's look very average. And I agree, we didn't really look that good, except for the drive that had Crabtree convert 3 3rd downs. That was awesome. We can be better than this
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,608
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes young Alex played a fine game yesterday it would have been better had some of those dudes could catch the damn ball. The only knock on him was taking some big sacks and not pushing the ball downfield against a weak secondary. But not a bad a game for a game manager.

i think you may be the only one using game manager. i am sure you are happy today because all your boys did well last night, crabs, alex and kyle won the game at the end!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
It seems like with the installation of this WCO, we add new elements each week in run blocking, schemes, pass protection, routes, etc. For instance, the focus this week was on 3rd down %'s. Um, yeah...mission accomplished; same with short and intermediate passes. Prior to that it was FIRST downs and RZ production, um, yeah...mission accomplished. Now the next element to be added will be deeper shots down the field to utilize all the speed and mismatches we create.

BTW: Last night was NOT the night to be throwing deep...winds were whipping and those three gem passes to Crabtree and x2 to VD were unbelievable throws considering!
Like this post a bunch... great point made at the end too.


By the way, after my 1st half review of the offensive plays for us... I count 4 legit dropped passes. First one was to Crabs on the slant 3rd down play... 3 more on our final drive of the half. ( Hunter/Gore/VD ... though VD getting his left arm yanked by the DB as the ball arrived takes less blame from his )

Thank you and I just saw something VERY interesting. Everyone check out 3rd Q, the OL lineup at the 11:00 mark.

LT - Alex Boone
LG - Iupati
C - Goodwin
RG - Leonard Davis
RT - A.Davis

Too bad L.Davis got pwned on that play! But VERY interesting with Boone back at LT!

PS: Boone DOMINATED Vandenbosch...nasty!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Another Observation:

The Niners have made back-to-back elite QB's look very average. And I agree, we didn't really look that good, except for the drive that had Crabtree convert 3 3rd downs. That was awesome. We can be better than this
First drive didn't look too bad either.

You're right, its only gonna get better and better.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thank you and I just saw something VERY interesting. Everyone check out 3rd Q, the OL lineup at the 11:00 mark.

LT - Alex Boone
LG - Iupati
C - Goodwin
RG - Leonard Davis
RT - A.Davis

Too bad L.Davis got pwned on that play! But VERY interesting with Boone back at LT!

...did not notice that while watching live.... no time to right now, but I will enjoy looking at it later, thanks.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
It seems like with the installation of this WCO, we add new elements each week in run blocking, schemes, pass protection, routes, etc. For instance, the focus this week was on 3rd down %'s. Um, yeah...mission accomplished; same with short and intermediate passes. Prior to that it was FIRST downs and RZ production, um, yeah...mission accomplished. Now the next element to be added will be deeper shots down the field to utilize all the speed and mismatches we create.

BTW: Last night was NOT the night to be throwing deep...winds were whipping and those three gem passes to Crabtree and x2 to VD were unbelievable throws considering!
Like this post a bunch... great point made at the end too.


By the way, after my 1st half review of the offensive plays for us... I count 4 legit dropped passes. First one was to Crabs on the slant 3rd down play... 3 more on our final drive of the half. ( Hunter/Gore/VD ... though VD getting his left arm yanked by the DB as the ball arrived takes less blame from his )

Thank you and I just saw something VERY interesting. Everyone check out 3rd Q, the OL lineup at the 11:00 mark.

LT - Alex Boone
LG - Iupati
C - Goodwin
RG - Leonard Davis
RT - A.Davis

Too bad L.Davis got pwned on that play! But VERY interesting with Boone back at LT!
Really? I'll look for that on replay.

Gotta say, you're very consistent with your campaign for Boone at LT in place of Staley.

I thought Staley bounced back pretty well after a tough night in GB. Can't wait to see how he does against J. Allen in Minn.
NCommand and others... do you think with us possibly tempting the lions to kick it deep on the onside we should have had Vernon either running back to help recover it or blocking to give Kyle the most time possible. Watch the play. Vernon has his back to the blocker and was jogging it out there. I know he isn't a ST guy and not sure if it was the coaches or him but he has his back turned and Bell flies past him and he doesn't make an effort to recover it either. If it's a bad bounce he is no where near the play to help recover it. Sorry for the rambling but check it out. Like someone said if that was in a dome I doubt they let them do that because it would have took more bounces... it died in the candlestick heavy grass.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
...did not notice that while watching live.... no time to right now, but I will enjoy looking at it later, thanks.

Yeah and check out Iupati. He is THE best LG in the game...he and Boone absolutely fire on their respective men...Iupati is so strong, he shoves his man back a few yards and THEN slides over to help Boone on Vandenbosch while keeping everything in front of him. He did the same all last year for Staley (which is why I was so disappointed in Staley all last year; all that extra help and still average-at-best).
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thank you and I just saw something VERY interesting. Everyone check out 3rd Q, the OL lineup at the 11:00 mark.

LT - Alex Boone
LG - Iupati
C - Goodwin
RG - Leonard Davis
RT - A.Davis

Too bad L.Davis got pwned on that play! But VERY interesting with Boone back at LT!

PS: Boone DOMINATED Vandenbosch...nasty!

Went back and looked... yep. Suh got passed Davis easily but luckily it was a quick throw. Also, I seen Leonard in on that sack where Alex went backwards 10 yards. Suh came free... was it Davis' fault? I know I seen him standing over Alex when he got tackled.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
It seems like with the installation of this WCO, we add new elements each week in run blocking, schemes, pass protection, routes, etc. For instance, the focus this week was on 3rd down %'s. Um, yeah...mission accomplished; same with short and intermediate passes. Prior to that it was FIRST downs and RZ production, um, yeah...mission accomplished. Now the next element to be added will be deeper shots down the field to utilize all the speed and mismatches we create.

BTW: Last night was NOT the night to be throwing deep...winds were whipping and those three gem passes to Crabtree and x2 to VD were unbelievable throws considering!
Like this post a bunch... great point made at the end too.


By the way, after my 1st half review of the offensive plays for us... I count 4 legit dropped passes. First one was to Crabs on the slant 3rd down play... 3 more on our final drive of the half. ( Hunter/Gore/VD ... though VD getting his left arm yanked by the DB as the ball arrived takes less blame from his )

Thank you and I just saw something VERY interesting. Everyone check out 3rd Q, the OL lineup at the 11:00 mark.

LT - Alex Boone
LG - Iupati
C - Goodwin
RG - Leonard Davis
RT - A.Davis

Too bad L.Davis got pwned on that play! But VERY interesting with Boone back at LT!

PS: Boone DOMINATED Vandenbosch...nasty!
Staley was an eligible receiver the play prior and had to come off the field
Originally posted by cciowa:
i think you may be the only one using game manager. i am sure you are happy today because all your boys did well last night, crabs, alex and kyle won the game at the end!

its time to ignore susweel

anyone who refers to alex is a game manager really doesnt understand the game of football

every analysis has officially shred3ed the game manager tittle from him
Culliver is looking good and on offense I would like to see some more shots deep down the field on 2nd downs.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Really? I'll look for that on replay.

Gotta say, you're very consistent with your campaign for Boone at LT in place of Staley.

I thought Staley bounced back pretty well after a tough night in GB. Can't wait to see how he does against J. Allen in Minn.

LOL...yeah, that was crazy and unexpected. I wanted Boone to start no doubt BUT at LT over Staley. I also wanted L.Davis to battle with Looney/Kilgore (playing very well) then we'd have the most youth, talent and upside at both positions. For instance, if Boone won out against Staley and Kilgore/Looney won out over L.Davis, we could literally have pro bowlers as our backups! Now THAT is some depth!

But maybe moving Boone out to LT periodically (and L.Davis at RG) will ensure they keep their skill sets up (Boone at LT & RG) in case an injury were to happen?

I'll wait for the "old" OL report but superficially watching, Staley/AD/L.Davis...well all of the guys, didn't play as well as the game appeared re: pass protection, perhaps. The focus, again, was passes under 3 seconds and the inside/outside game. Then again, with the winds, it's not like we were going to play shot gun and take shots all day down field (5-step drops).

But I do agree, I think Staley played better overall.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
NCommand and others... do you think with us possibly tempting the lions to kick it deep on the onside we should have had Vernon either running back to help recover it or blocking to give Kyle the most time possible. Watch the play. Vernon has his back to the blocker and was jogging it out there. I know he isn't a ST guy and not sure if it was the coaches or him but he has his back turned and Bell flies past him and he doesn't make an effort to recover it either. If it's a bad bounce he is no where near the play to help recover it. Sorry for the rambling but check it out. Like someone said if that was in a dome I doubt they let them do that because it would have took more bounces... it died in the candlestick heavy grass.

My very first impression was that Seely screwed up...or we dared them to do that but given Williams had to run BACK to get it, it might have been an error on his part. I say this b/c it looked like Harbaugh was chewing him out right after Williams secured it.
Alex Boone played another very good game. How good? On two plays, he had to fill in at left tackle because Staley, who had been an eligible receiver the play prior, had to check out of the game for a snap. Leonard Davis filled in at Boone's right guard both times. And on both plays, Ndamukong Suh got past Davis and hit Smith, including a very hard knock-down shot on the quarterbackRead more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/film-review-staley-vernon-davis-shine-lions-cant-break-nickel.html#storylink=cpy