There are 176 users in the forums

Week 2: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I am more than pleased with his progression in the run game. Dude was straight out beasty. As you said, hopefully around week 10 he should be putting it all together and combining both dominant pass rush and run support.

I wonder if he's still hampered by the injury as well?!

Same here. Setting the edge against the run is the one area where I wanted to see how good he is. We all know he can rush the passer.
^ Gonna be a while for that. NC... haven't slept much. As to Leonard D as a starter? To be honest, I'd be nervous. I think he'd be better than Snyder or Rachal, but I do think he would struggle more than we would want. Haven't been all that impressed with LD, is what it comes down to.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Staley was an eligible receiver the play prior and had to come off the field

Thank you. Is that what it was? I couldn't hear on TV...good call if so b/c Staley blocked for a long time and then last minute took off. Had Alex had any time, that could have been a big gainer. Another wrinkle and use of personnel (3 different ways).
  • THEB
  • Veteran
My one observation on the night was that Jim calls WAY TOO MANY trick plays. One or maybe 2 per game is ok but his play calling was sometimes worse than my little brothers play calling in Madden.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Alex Boone played another very good game. How good? On two plays, he had to fill in at left tackle because Staley, who had been an eligible receiver the play prior, had to check out of the game for a snap. Leonard Davis filled in at Boone's right guard both times. And on both plays, Ndamukong Suh got past Davis and hit Smith, including a very hard knock-down shot on the quarterbackRead more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/film-review-staley-vernon-davis-shine-lions-cant-break-nickel.html#storylink=cpy

ouch

This, back-to-back plays...both pass protection. Run-blocking, dominant. But if we continue to do these plays, big LDavis is going to have to pass protect better (even if Suh).
Originally posted by THEB:
My one observation on the night was that Jim calls WAY TOO MANY trick plays. One or maybe 2 per game is ok but his play calling was sometimes worse than my little brothers play calling in Madden.

I only saw one trick play which was a failed flea flicker.
I went down and broke down who I thought should have the sacks given up to them last week. This week it's tougher.

1st one... Iupati had a great block but didn't stick with it long enough. Fairly then got after Alex and he had to scramble around in the pocket and Suh finished him off who was Goodwin's man. Iupati might be the one that led to it but his initial block was pretty good. Might have to put it on Alex for not getting ball out but it was close.

2nd one...the flea flicker... I would say Staley took a LB and left a DB come at Hunter and messed up the play. However, Vernon Davis let Vanden Bosch beat him and he was there once Alex was expecting the pitch back. I say it's on Vernon but the play call probably wasn't right.

3rd one I think is clear. Leonard Davis whiffed on Suh who forced Alex 10 yards in the backfield but he was finished off by another man. Not sure how nfl credits that but I give it to Davis.

If you disagree let me know? It's hard to put out totals for this one.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
^ Gonna be a while for that. NC... haven't slept much. As to Leonard D as a starter? To be honest, I'd be nervous. I think he'd be better than Snyder or Rachal, but I do think he would struggle more than we would want. Haven't been all that impressed with LD, is what it comes down to.

Me either. Ideal backup and once may be a great spot starter but I'd rather see Kilgore/Looney get the nod with him as the backup. Kilgore seems to be playing well everywhere we line him up at. Looney has a ton of upside from what it sounds like. Either way, VERY happy with Boone and Boone at RG...like that he swings out to LT too! Keep those skills up...never know when an injury will happen.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Me either. Ideal backup and once may be a great spot starter but I'd rather see Kilgore/Looney get the nod with him as the backup. Kilgore seems to be playing well everywhere we line him up at. Looney has a ton of upside from what it sounds like. Either way, VERY happy with Boone and Boone at RG...like that he swings out to LT too! Keep those skills up...never know when an injury will happen.

I didn't like what I saw from Looney in PS but he got that late start so not worried too much. I would put Kilgore at backup C and maybe backup RG over Davis. Davis is solid enough for the short run game but he is not really a pass protector anymore.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I went down and broke down who I thought should have the sacks given up to them last week. This week it's tougher.

1st one... Iupati had a great block but didn't stick with it long enough. Fairly then got after Alex and he had to scramble around in the pocket and Suh finished him off who was Goodwin's man. Iupati might be the one that led to it but his initial block was pretty good. Might have to put it on Alex for not getting ball out but it was close.

2nd one...the flea flicker... I would say Staley took a LB and left a DB come at Hunter and mess up the play. However, Vernon Davis let Vanden Bosch beat him and he was there once Alex was expecting the pitch back. I say it's on Vernon.

3rd one I think is clear. Leonard Davis whiffed on Suh who forced Alex 10 yards in the backfield but he was finished off by another man. Not sure how nfl credits that but I give it to Davis.

If you disagree let me know? It's hard to put out totals for this one.

Totally agree! Alex did what he could to get by the first wave. Nice work!

The highlighted is something you have pointed out before...so true. It's like the entire offense has a play design and it is designed to be executed within 3 seconds. If not, well, Alex, you're on your own. A perfect example was that inside slant to Moss where Crabtree came open in the corner of the endzone. The OL need to continue to block and have situational awareness UNTIL the whistle blows!

Originally posted by Gore_21:
I didn't like what I saw from Looney in PS but he got that late start so not worried too much. I would put Kilgore at backup C and maybe backup RG over Davis. Davis is solid enough for the short run game but he is not really a pass protector anymore.

Agreed. Very late start but in watching him, he seems to have an "it" factor. His injury really set us/him back but no rush now. We're rolling! He can sit back and develop like James/Jenkins.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Totally agree! Alex did what he could to get by the first wave. Nice work!

The highlighted is something you have pointed out before...so true. It's like the entire offense has a play design and it is designed to be executed within 3 seconds. If not, well, Alex, you're on your own. A perfect example was that inside slant to Moss where Crabtree came open in the corner of the endzone. The OL need to continue to block and have situational awareness UNTIL the whistle blows!

Yeah, our guys have a tendency to let go of blocks. I know 3 seconds but really just stick with them until the whistle blows. Especially with a mobile QB like Alex. He's escaped a lot of sacks over the past few years only to turn around and have someone else right in his face. Stick with the blocks, don't get lazy!
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I noticed against GB that L. Davis was VERY slow out of his stance. Watch Gores 23 yard run and you'll see Davis on the end and he is the slowest guy out of his stance...by alot. Kilgore is lined up behind him and looks MUCH quicker.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:
I only saw one trick play which was a failed flea flicker.

The end around to manningham on like the first play of the game was a trick play. you probably didnt notice it because it actually worked for a change
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
So this is what its come down to?? Aldon Smith's 2 sacks weren't "good" because he didn't make some great move or bull rush someone and sack Stafford in 1 second? I even saw a couple of plays that Smith nailed Stafford a split second after he got rid of the ball. I think people are just used to him coming in for one play on a drive and getting a sack. I mean what do you expect 5 highlight sacks a game?
Share 49ersWebzone