There are 251 users in the forums

Week 2: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Alex Smith is the toughest Quarterback in the league.

This. That play when you could see the blood running down his nose, got me sooo pumped

That was a defining moment. He might not have the rocket arm and he might play it safe a little more than we we would like sometimes, but dude is a gamer. I love that other fan bases call him a pretty boy and say he gets rattled. Those days are over.
Culliver is quickly turning into one of my favorite players. I didn't know he was so physical, but he proved that to me last night after a couple big hits in run support.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Alex Smith is the toughest Quarterback in the league.

Tougher than Jay Cutler?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Awesome.

Agreed...OL did better on pass protection; Staley had a couple big whiffs (1st one of the game = hit/incomplete rush passed), Davis had a couple as well, Suh splitting Boone, 3rd and short still sucks even with an overload to one side, etc. but like you said, this is a good "penetrating" DL.

Aldon, I tried to warn everyone that Aldon's sack numbers, QB hits/pressures would go down once he started; BUT I also noted that he would start to become a "complete" WILL and that is better for the team. Yesterday, if you watched our OLB's, they were freaking everywhere...Brooks, knocking down a key 3rd down pass (from the RDT position - think about that for a second), a PD covering Megatron (again on 3rd down), dropping back even more (deep down the middle of the field)...sacks, hits, pressures, TFL (as good as a sack) but Aldon is REALLY starting to get it. Playing off defenders to stuff runs, sealing the edge, dropping back (1 blunder), etc. I'd argue right now, we have THE two best complete OLB's in the game...team game! These guys are lined up everywhere!

Culliver/Fangio, props to Culliver and esp. Fangio for "getting it." He played his secondary up tight and physical, aggressive (no clean releases this game), moved Brooks/Culliver to cover Megatron, mixed up coverages, played Brooks/Aldon together almost the entire game (unlike GB), etc. And the result was a 5,000 yard QB and all-world WR with nothing to show for it in the end (few FG's and a give-me TD).

Miller is effing awesome - unsung hero, no doubt.

Agreed on dropped passes are unbelievable. We were horrendous last year, even worse so far this year (esp. when you look at the circumstances). And let's make things VERY clear here...every single one has been a catchable ball.

Manningham may end up being our best addition...absolute stud!

BTW: We haven't even tapped James/Jenkins/Ginn/Jacobs yet!
I always look forward to your thoughts Marvin, and enjoy them.

NC says everything I would try to say, and says it better that I could!

Concerned about Aldon? He's already got 3 sacks! He hasn't lost a thing, but because he's playing more, his pass rush plays may not stand out as much. He had plenty of explosiveness on his sacks, AND he played run support and zone coverage quite well. IMHO. NC's right, we've got two of the best OLBs . . . to go with the two BEST ILBs in the game.

Culliver looks great. Two terrific games in a row. We couldn't get Peterson, who went to Az before we could pick him, so we got a guy with the same measureables who plays DB just as well, or better! Credit to Baalke.

Finally, would love to hear that Walker is working out with VD on the jugs machine, working to improve his hands the way VD has done.
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes young Alex played a fine game yesterday it would have been better had some of those dudes could catch the damn ball. The only knock on him was taking some big sacks and not pushing the ball downfield against a weak secondary. But not a bad a game for a game manager.

Had to throw in that jab at the end there didn't you?

Quickly running out of bullets you are.
I think Culliver could 9and should) sometimes go back to FS and play some snaps, he can be on the field more that way. Hopefully we keep Brown, but with cox and culliver playing better and better, I think Brown leaves for a better offer than we will be willing to give.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Awesome.

Agreed...OL did better on pass protection; Staley had a couple big whiffs (1st one of the game = hit/incomplete rush passed), Davis had a couple as well, Suh splitting Boone, 3rd and short still sucks even with an overload to one side, etc. but like you said, this is a good "penetrating" DL.

Aldon, I tried to warn everyone that Aldon's sack numbers, QB hits/pressures would go down once he started; BUT I also noted that he would start to become a "complete" WILL and that is better for the team. Yesterday, if you watched our OLB's, they were freaking everywhere...Brooks, knocking down a key 3rd down pass (from the RDT position - think about that for a second), a PD covering Megatron (again on 3rd down), dropping back even more (deep down the middle of the field)...sacks, hits, pressures, TFL (as good as a sack) but Aldon is REALLY starting to get it. Playing off defenders to stuff runs, sealing the edge, dropping back (1 blunder), etc. I'd argue right now, we have THE two best complete OLB's in the game...team game! These guys are lined up everywhere!

Culliver/Fangio, props to Culliver and esp. Fangio for "getting it." He played his secondary up tight and physical, aggressive (no clean releases this game), moved Brooks/Culliver to cover Megatron, mixed up coverages, played Brooks/Aldon together almost the entire game (unlike GB), etc. And the result was a 5,000 yard QB and all-world WR with nothing to show for it in the end (few FG's and a give-me TD).

Miller is effing awesome - unsung hero, no doubt.

Agreed on dropped passes are unbelievable. We were horrendous last year, even worse so far this year (esp. when you look at the circumstances). And let's make things VERY clear here...every single one has been a catchable ball.

Manningham may end up being our best addition...absolute stud!

BTW: We haven't even tapped James/Jenkins/Ginn/Jacobs yet!
I always look forward to your thoughts Marvin, and enjoy them.

NC says everything I would try to say, and says it better that I could!

Concerned about Aldon? He's already got 3 sacks! He hasn't lost a thing, but because he's playing more, his pass rush plays may not stand out as much. He had plenty of explosiveness on his sacks, AND he played run support and zone coverage quite well. IMHO. NC's right, we've got two of the best OLBs . . . to go with the two BEST ILBs in the game.

Culliver looks great. Two terrific games in a row. We couldn't get Peterson, who went to Az before we could pick him, so we got a guy with the same measureables who plays DB just as well, or better! Credit to Baalke.

Finally, would love to hear that Walker is working out with VD on the jugs machine, working to improve his hands the way VD has done.

Yeah, have Manningham, VD, Crabtree, Gore, etc. join him; collective team fail so far. I think the only guy who never drops a pass in Hunter? Oops, he had one too!

I wanted to throw this out there...I was talking to old the other day about ways to help Staley and I suggested pulling Boone from RG to the left side and run at the pressure. Guess what we did all game long? Now we have THE best pulling LG in the game in Iupati and now Boone is pulling (with great success) to the left. Wow!

I especially loved that they used Culliver on Megatron a lot (with LBers, including Brooks underneath). Brooks almost had two INT's!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM ]
1st. What's up with delanIe? He's dropping everything
2nd, Alex needs to throw a couple deep, manningham and Williams were getting downfield so fast last night but never got thrown to.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
2nd, Alex needs to throw a couple deep, manningham and Williams were getting downfield so fast last night but never got thrown to.

It seems like with the installation of this WCO, we add new elements each week in run blocking, schemes, pass protection, routes, etc. For instance, the focus this week was on 3rd down %'s. Um, yeah...mission accomplished; same with short and intermediate passes. Prior to that it was FIRST downs and RZ production, um, yeah...mission accomplished. Now the next element to be added will be deeper shots down the field to utilize all the speed and mismatches we create.

BTW: Last night was NOT the night to be throwing deep...winds were whipping and those three gem passes to Crabtree and x2 to VD were unbelievable throws considering!
Lol yea those winds were strong it was cold

Originally posted by Snider8706:

you never know about S coverage and if they were open or not

i think when ginn comes back we get a few more throws deep

moss is obviously being worked into the lineup slowly and being used as a decoy more than anything else

i suspect next year is the "real year" where we start aitring it out
based on preseason it is quite obvious aj jenkins is a deep threat (needs to put on weight to get off press coverage which is why he gets this year "off" and we also have crabs and manningham

manningha, has also never been a deep threat he isnt fast he is more quick with a great acceleration which makes him agreat player to give screen passes to and the intermideate passes on 5 step drops which is really what he is being used for. He is much better than i thought for this offense and harbaugh will see that on gametape and will focous the ball around him more

as for deep ball alex has been money on it its unfortnate that we still dont have a legitimate deep threat WR. I really think aj will be that guy
It seems like with the installation of this WCO, we add new elements each week in run blocking, schemes, pass protection, routes, etc. For instance, the focus this week was on 3rd down %'s. Um, yeah...mission accomplished; same with short and intermediate passes. Prior to that it was FIRST downs and RZ production, um, yeah...mission accomplished. Now the next element to be added will be deeper shots down the field to utilize all the speed and mismatches we create.

BTW: Last night was NOT the night to be throwing deep...winds were whipping and those three gem passes to Crabtree and x2 to VD were unbelievable throws considering!
Like this post a bunch... great point made at the end too.

By the way, after my 1st half review of the offensive plays for us... I count 4 legit dropped passes. First one was to Crabs on the slant 3rd down play... 3 more on our final drive of the half. ( Hunter/Gore/VD ... though VD getting his left arm yanked by the DB as the ball arrived takes less blame from his )
Marv, nice review as always. Couple of thoughts........

Alex Smith looks more confident and in control of the offense than ever before. Yes, he took a couple of big sacks but that stuff happens. At least he is holding onto the ball when he does get hit. When Goodwin made the bad snap in the second quarter, Smith made a great play to get control of the ball and then get the ball out of bounds to avoid another big loss. The lack of downfield shots is still by design IMO because Harbaugh and Roman want it that way. They are confident that this offense can methodically move the ball down the field to wear out the opposition. I will take the new Alex Smith, warts and all, over what he used to be.

Drops were very frustrating, but give Delanie a break. I don't think he was involved in any of the drops this week. If they didn't drop those passes, Alex would have been 27 for 31. Imagine that.

Aldon is looking very good as a complete OLB, but I can agree with your lack of explosion comment. Pass rush was a little spotty yesterday. However, Ahmad Brooks is looking REAL good on the opposite side.

No matter what is not going right, the Niners have dominated two playoff teams with two of the best 5 QB's in the league so far. They are looking SUPER again and I am enjoying every minute of it.
Another Observation:

The Niners have made back-to-back elite QB's look very average. And I agree, we didn't really look that good, except for the drive that had Crabtree convert 3 3rd downs. That was awesome. We can be better than this
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes young Alex played a fine game yesterday it would have been better had some of those dudes could catch the damn ball. The only knock on him was taking some big sacks and not pushing the ball downfield against a weak secondary. But not a bad a game for a game manager.

i think you may be the only one using game manager. i am sure you are happy today because all your boys did well last night, crabs, alex and kyle won the game at the end!
Share 49ersWebzone