There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aldon three sacks through 2 games

Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
should be overturned on tuesday or whenever

About the same time they hand out a fine for the hit on Alex.
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes he got some coverage sacks but overall Im disappointed in the pass rush. He is not providing a steady pass rush like he did last year. Maybe too much partying.

To be fair, Detroit's game plan was to dink and dunk and get rid of the ball in two seconds. We had pretty good pass rush, but I agree I would like to see some more dominant play from Aldon and Brooks with the pass rush.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Yes he got some coverage sacks but overall Im disappointed in the pass rush. He is not providing a steady pass rush like he did last year. Maybe too much partying.

To be fair, Detroit's game plan was to dink and dunk and get rid of the ball in two seconds. We had pretty good pass rush, but I agree I would like to see some more dominant play from Aldon and Brooks with the pass rush.

Even last week he wasn't much against GB.

Its week freaking two.... and he should already have 3 sacks on the season come stat adjustment time. Hes moving around more it seems than he was early last year, and he had several great tackles as well. I dont think Rodgers, or Stafford would agree with your assessment. But wait he doesnt have as many sacks as Mathews does right now....Bust.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Its week freaking two.... and he should already have 3 sacks on the season come stat adjustment time. Hes moving around more it seems than he was early last year, and he had several great tackles as well. I dont think Rodgers, or Stafford would agree with your assessment. But wait he doesnt have as many sacks as Mathews does right now....Bust.

slow your roll cuz nobody is saying all that.

Sus, we've gone against two heavy passing offenses which means our D usually only puts forward a 4 man rush in Brooks, RayMac, Smith and Aldon... 4 dudes against 5 O-Linemen and usually a RB or FB. You are not going to get many sacks from that. Considering all that, I think the performance is pretty damn good.

Or maybe it's because they're asking him to be a complete LB and not just focus on getting to the QB. When he rushes he gets good pressure, and he's getting to the QB often enough...but it's the other things he's doing that are making him even more valuable this year than last year when he put up huge sack totals but didn't do much else.
He definitely is not great in coverage. Dont get me wrong he is a monster pass rusher and good against the run, but he is a totally liability in pass coverage. Dude looks lost when they ask him to drop back. Sproles rollouts last year that kept killing us and burlesons catch yesterday in the flats are all his responsibility.

What are you saying then? Because if 3 sacks in two games to start the season is "disappointing" or not "steady" enough, than you must only be impressed by a start to the season such as Mathews.

Aldon has not Disappointed at all so far this season, and the season is young.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9er_84:
He definitely is not great in coverage. Dont get me wrong he is a monster pass rusher and good against the run, but he is a totally liability in pass coverage. Dude looks lost when they ask him to drop back. Sproles rollouts last year that kept killing us and burlesons catch yesterday in the flats are all his responsibility.

I disagree. It's his first season doing it so he might not have it down packed. But, he is more than capable so far.
Yeah, it was a totally wasted pick at #7 two years ago! Shoulda picked JJ What instead, an moved him to OLB!

Really, have to use the #7 pick on a player with outstanding athletic ability who can start in the NF of L, not on a guy like Aldon who . . .

Oh, wait!

sus, did you see the GB game, where Aldon chased Rogers out of the pocket on what seemed like every play? Pretty steady pressure there.

Last night he played a complete game. Pressured when called upon to do so (and TWO sacks per Mindy Bach in her post game interview with Aldon), plus he played the run very well and did well in zone coverage when called on to do so.

All that, and its only his second actual start at OLB. He's only gonna get better and better.

He keeps it up and we're all gonna have lots of reasons to party.
Originally posted by 9er_84:

I don't expect him to be. That part of his game is going to take time to develop.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
think they gave it to ray mac, he tripped up stafford a bit then aldon fell on him

This.

It looks like aldon got him but if you watch the replay, Rac MAc trips his feet and Aldon just fell on em.
What are you saying then? Because if 3 sacks in two games to start the season is "disappointing" or not "steady" enough, than you must only be impressed by a start to the season such as Mathews.

Aldon has not Disappointed at all so far this season, and the season is young.

Aldon flushes the QB out with initial pressure.

Offenses are on to us. The opposing QB is taught to make a quick throw or gtfo of the pocket because its not going to last. Sacks and turnovers are going down naturally.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Maiocco:
Smith's sacks: The stats crew credited outside linebacker Aldon Smith with one sack Sunday, but he is expected to get credit for another after the Elias Sports Bureau, the NFL's official stat keepers, review the game.

Smith was there to sack Stafford for a 9-yard loss in the fourth quarter, but Ray McDonald was incorrectly given credit. Smith recorded another sack on the first play of the Lions' final drive.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-notes-Rare-turnover-not-too-costly?blockID=774517&feedID=2539
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM ]