There are 431 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can the 49ers run the No-Huddle?

I was watching NFL Network and they were talking about all these high powered offenses last week (Broncos, Falcons, Ravens, Patriots, Steelers) and how they all run the no-huddle successfully. It got me thinking, can the Niners Offense run the no-huddle? You need a field general type QB i.e Peyton Manning, Big Ben, Flacco, Matt Ryan, Tom Brady. Can Smith do it too? I don't think it would hurt to try it out for a game or two. We might be really good at it and we do not know because we only do it when we have to usually at the end of the first half or game. I think our offense with all our weapons now could be explosive in the no-huddle. Thoughts?
[ Edited by ApatheticIAm on Sep 16, 2012 at 5:25 AM ]
We won't know. You don't run the no-huddle with a lead.
Originally posted by 02-10DidNotHappen:
We won't know. You don't run the no-huddle with a lead.

true

we 100% for sure have the personnel to do it but also keep i mind harbaugh loves to make substitutions if we run the no huddle that goes away

i do hope we incorporate it though alex is pretty good at the no huddle
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 16, 2012 at 7:53 AM ]
Just a few years ago folks were saying Smith couldn't play QB anyway other than the shotgun and seemed to play lights out in no-huddle. Remember the comments attacking Raye for not using Smith's strength in the RZ--no huddle?

I believe Smith could be a really good no-huddle QB but Harbaugh's offense does not work that way and the other players are not as knowledgeable about the offense so may have difficulty in the no-huddle.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM ]
No huddle is when the offense is scared of the defense or you're down in points with little time left
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
No huddle is when the offense is scared of the defense or you're down in points with little time left

Twenty years ago this was true but QBs like Manning have used it since then as a way to keep the D from substituting.
Alex excels at the 2-minute drill, RZ late in games (6 come-from-behind wins), etc. There is no doubt he would absolutely excel at this an tear defenses apart. BUT, why? Why not do what we do...control the clock, sustain drives, capitalize in the RZ, play stellar defense and ST's and keep the opposition's offense on the sideline eating Alex's corn dogs! But no doubt, he COULD lead it probably better than 95% of the QB's in the league and we have more talent to take advantage of no defensive substitutions...

BTW: Our defense may struggle with this approach given how far off we tend to play WR's.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Twenty years ago this was true but QBs like Manning have used it since then as a way to keep the D from substituting.

And why does he do that?

And why does he do that?

Keeps the D one dimensional and he then can pick it apart. He/they were also able to run from the formation so the negatives of the traditional no-huddle were not as great. Also, communication between the OC and QB has improved. Many QBs feel they can see the D better in the shotgun before the snap and that allows for more audibles.

I really like the no-huddle! The drawbacks NCommand has mentioned are real though and the D might be asked to be on the field more.

And why does he do that?

Keeps the D one dimensional and he then can pick it apart. He/they were also able to run from the formation so the negatives of the traditional no-huddle were not as great. Also, communication between the OC and QB has improved. Many QBs feel they can see the D better in the shotgun before the snap and that allows for more audibles.

I really like the no-huddle! The drawbacks NCommand has mentioned are real though and the D might be asked to be on the field more.

Exactly, if the defense is really good they run the no huddle, Peyton will not be doing that to defenses that suck. We'll see Monday.

I don't think AS needs to do it as it doesn't take to much time off the clock and that's coaches philosophy ball control

And why does he do that?

Exactly, if the defense is really good they run the no huddle, Peyton will not be doing that to defenses that suck. We'll see Monday.

I don't think AS needs to do it as it doesn't take to much time off the clock and that's coaches philosophy ball control

JH doesn't seem to use this so I'm not sure whether he will in the future or if he just won't ever use it much. With the 9ers being in the lead--I agree with you that he will burn the clock and let the team set up.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Sep 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM ]

That strategy netted Peyton Manning 1 Super Bowl in his entire career....against Rex Grossman and the Bears. Its not a winning formula
Originally posted by DirtyP:
That strategy netted Peyton Manning 1 Super Bowl in his entire career....against Rex Grossman and the Bears. Its not a winning formula

Many reasons for this other than the no-huddle. D, STs, etc. But then again, I'm not the biggest P Manning fan so...whatever!

www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/167529-49ers-evolution-to-the-no-huddle/