There are 183 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Time to Talk about Goldson $$$$

  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,301
Originally posted by Afrikan:
so based off TB reaction you feel it was Goldson's fault? Did you even notice Goldson's reaction? probably not...I'm not surprised though.... again, I'm just saying this because you brought Brown's reaction, but didn't mention Goldson.

Brown gingerly point to Goldson... where as Goldson looked frustrated and showed up Brown on the field, looked like he wanted to beat his ass... Usually our players don't make scenes like that, so I would think Goldson might have done his job on the play.

as far as the commentary crew, they don't know the scheme and I believe at the end of pointing out that Goldson went to go after Cobb, that it might have been a miscommunication issue on both sides. (I'll watch it again tonight)

as far as the bolded part..lol....any half-talented player right?

its not about my "favorite" player getting criticized, I like all our players... its when folks feel the need to unjustly undervalue our players to make a point. They will make excuses as to why other players on our teams or others...excuses as to why they are considered good..where as they will have excuses as to why their *favorite* player is doing not so well or not considered Elite.

dude quit getting so caught up in it. Everyone from half the people on this board, to the announcers and even our local media like Inman and Maioccio think he left his assignment. I'm not attacking him -- just stating popular opinion and what I saw was that Goldson should've stayed pat in his zone and if Rodgers checked down to Cobb both him and TB and the closest LB were supposed to crash down on him and keep him out ofthe end zone. I could care less if Brown, Goldson, or even the OLB screwed it up but when the majority of people, especially people paid to cover this team say he left his assignment I'll trust their opinion over anyone else's opinion -- including my own.

Yes any half talent player like Reggie Smith can make similar plays and use our scheme to their advantage. See last seasons Cinncy game when Dalton forced the throw at the end of the game and he badly missed a WR allowing Smith to make a heads up play and secure the diving INT. I'm not bagging on Goldon with that phrase but I'm speaking the truth that we can put almost any DB back there and he'll succeed to some degree, simply because of the bracket style coverage we employ.

He has never been elite but as 4th round CB turned FS he is a great player, and now that we've employed a quality scheme he has succeeded. Every player has flaws and strengths but when Goldson's primary weaknesses are poor tackling and penchant for going for the big hit rather then a form tackle or deft attempt at smacking the ball in the air, I can't help but want something better. I'm happy for him because I think he is a solid player and his success means for turnovers and more chances to score and consequently more wins for the 9ers. I've always liked him and don't have any personal hate of him but to say he is our best opinion is being close minded.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM ]
Hey.. check it out... Trae Elston #6 is best the beasts and can hit hard that huge boom! He seem smart to plays for defense and talents to get the ints, hit hard, smarts plays and coverage too.. smh.. We must draft Trae Elston next year!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IrN7wZUYqsE
  • NONAME
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 18,975
Would love to have him sign for 3-4 more years! Hope it happens. Maybe he might even take a team discount at the end of the year
Pay him
Originally posted by susweel:
Pay him

Agree I think we should match Eric Weddle contract.

2011 1,000,000 2,600,000 3,600,000
2012 5,000,000 2,600,000 7,600,000
2013 6,000,000 2,600,000 8,600,000
2014 7,500,000 2,600,000 10,100,000
2015 7,500,000 2,600,000 10,100,000
Eric Weddle is ranked 7th in Saftey pay.
Goldson is ranked 5th in Saftey pay. $6,212,000 Were going to pay him more to tag him again next season, might as well help ourselves and make a deal.
I think we could even front load the contract, unlike the charges who backload it.

Eric has had 13 int's, NO FORCED FUMBLES!!! 4 Sacks! Played in 16 games in 2007, and became the full time starter in 2008!
Goldson has had 11 int's, 4 FORCED FUMBLES!!! 3 Sacks! Played in 10 games in 2007, played in 9 games in 2008, and started 2 of those. Became full time starter in 2009.
I say goldson is more balance, has 2 more turnovers than eric, I think it's a fair deal to give him a more front load version of the same contract! Also, goldson is 3 inch's taller.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,301
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by susweel:
Pay him

Agree I think we should match Eric Weddle contract.

2011 1,000,000 2,600,000 3,600,000
2012 5,000,000 2,600,000 7,600,000
2013 6,000,000 2,600,000 8,600,000
2014 7,500,000 2,600,000 10,100,000
2015 7,500,000 2,600,000 10,100,000
Eric Weddle is ranked 7th in Saftey pay.
Goldson is ranked 5th in Saftey pay. $6,212,000 Were going to pay him more to tag him again next season, might as well help ourselves and make a deal.
I think we could even front load the contract, unlike the charges who backload it.

Eric has had 13 int's, NO FORCED FUMBLES!!! 4 Sacks! Played in 16 games in 2007, and became the full time starter in 2008!
Goldson has had 11 int's, 4 FORCED FUMBLES!!! 3 Sacks! Played in 10 games in 2007, played in 9 games in 2008, and started 2 of those. Became full time starter in 2009.
I say goldson is more balance, has 2 more turnovers than eric, I think it's a fair deal to give him a more front load version of the same contract! Also, goldson is 3 inch's taller.

You do realize that our FO's entire premise for not paying Goldson "Weddle Money" is because Weddle is ridiculously overpaid right? Under a sane GM Weddle would be lucky to get the offer that we gave Goldson over the off season.

Michael Griffen of Tennessee got an identical deal to the offer we gave Goldson and he has better statistics then Goldson does

and Griffen has been available for more games whether that due to injury, place on the depth chart or otherwise. Sorry but Goldson getting a $35M deal is more then fair, its his fault for not taking it.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by susweel:
Pay him

Agree I think we should match Eric Weddle contract.

2011 1,000,000 2,600,000 3,600,000
2012 5,000,000 2,600,000 7,600,000
2013 6,000,000 2,600,000 8,600,000
2014 7,500,000 2,600,000 10,100,000
2015 7,500,000 2,600,000 10,100,000
Eric Weddle is ranked 7th in Saftey pay.
Goldson is ranked 5th in Saftey pay. $6,212,000 Were going to pay him more to tag him again next season, might as well help ourselves and make a deal.
I think we could even front load the contract, unlike the charges who backload it.

Eric has had 13 int's, NO FORCED FUMBLES!!! 4 Sacks! Played in 16 games in 2007, and became the full time starter in 2008!
Goldson has had 11 int's, 4 FORCED FUMBLES!!! 3 Sacks! Played in 10 games in 2007, played in 9 games in 2008, and started 2 of those. Became full time starter in 2009.
I say goldson is more balance, has 2 more turnovers than eric, I think it's a fair deal to give him a more front load version of the same contract! Also, goldson is 3 inch's taller.

You do realize that our FO's entire premise for not paying Goldson "Weddle Money" is because Weddle is ridiculously overpaid right? Under a sane GM Weddle would be lucky to get the offer that we gave Goldson over the off season.

Michael Griffen of Tennessee got an identical deal to the offer we gave Goldson and he has better statistics then Goldson does

and Griffen has been available for more games whether that due to injury, place on the depth chart or otherwise. Sorry but Goldson getting a $35M deal is more then fair, its his fault for not taking it.

Agree. If he wants more money, then we can let him walk.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,301
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree. If he wants more money, then we can let him walk.

thank you lol.

By the way my criticize of Weddle is completely true. I'm a Utah Fanboy and even I admit that Weddle is grossly overpaid for what he brings to the table.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree. If he wants more money, then we can let him walk.

thank you lol.

By the way my criticize of Weddle is completely true. I'm a Utah Fanboy and even I admit that Weddle is grossly overpaid for what he brings to the table.
He's only paid 5 million more

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by susweel:
Pay him

Agree I think we should match Eric Weddle contract.

2011 1,000,000 2,600,000 3,600,000
2012 5,000,000 2,600,000 7,600,000
2013 6,000,000 2,600,000 8,600,000
2014 7,500,000 2,600,000 10,100,000
2015 7,500,000 2,600,000 10,100,000
Eric Weddle is ranked 7th in Saftey pay.
Goldson is ranked 5th in Saftey pay. $6,212,000 Were going to pay him more to tag him again next season, might as well help ourselves and make a deal.
I think we could even front load the contract, unlike the charges who backload it.

Eric has had 13 int's, NO FORCED FUMBLES!!! 4 Sacks! Played in 16 games in 2007, and became the full time starter in 2008!
Goldson has had 11 int's, 4 FORCED FUMBLES!!! 3 Sacks! Played in 10 games in 2007, played in 9 games in 2008, and started 2 of those. Became full time starter in 2009.
I say goldson is more balance, has 2 more turnovers than eric, I think it's a fair deal to give him a more front load version of the same contract! Also, goldson is 3 inch's taller.

You do realize that our FO's entire premise for not paying Goldson "Weddle Money" is because Weddle is ridiculously overpaid right? Under a sane GM Weddle would be lucky to get the offer that we gave Goldson over the off season.

Michael Griffen of Tennessee got an identical deal to the offer we gave Goldson and he has better statistics then Goldson does

and Griffen has been available for more games whether that due to injury, place on the depth chart or otherwise. Sorry but Goldson getting a $35M deal is more then fair, its his fault for not taking it.

Here's Griffen's Contract

2012 2,500,000 1,800,000 4,300,000
2013 3,500,000 1,800,000 1,000,000 6,300,000
2014 6,200,000 1,800,000 8,000,000
2015 6,300,000 1,800,000 8,100,000
2016 6,500,000 1,800,000 8,300,000

He only 9 million in a signing bonus. Weedle got 13. Really on average, Griffen makes 7 million, and weedle makes 8 million, on avg. That's only 1 million dollar difference yearly, the just front loaded more of Griffen's contract to keep it more balanced, and less in bonus.

I think we can find a middle ground with goldson, maybe offer 10 million signing bonus.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,301
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
He's only paid 5 million more


Here's Griffen's Contract

2012 2,500,000 1,800,000 4,300,000
2013 3,500,000 1,800,000 1,000,000 6,300,000
2014 6,200,000 1,800,000 8,000,000
2015 6,300,000 1,800,000 8,100,000
2016 6,500,000 1,800,000 8,300,000

He only 9 million in a signing bonus. Weedle got 13. Really on average, Griffen makes 7 million, and weedle makes 8 million, on avg. That's only 1 million dollar difference yearly, the just front loaded more of Griffen's contract to keep it more balanced, and less in bonus.

I think we can find a middle ground with goldson, maybe offer 10 million signing bonus.

Weddle would be lucky to make $5M a year under any intelligent GM that was my point, because Weddle isnt even as productive as Griffin who received an average of $7M over 5 years, the exact basic deal we offer Goldson was $7M over 5 years and he didn't bite because it was widely reported he wanted 8-8.5 per year average.

We set our values and dont budge, have you not learning anything from our FO yet? The only way we even consider budging is if Goldson has an equally productive season and shows to be a truly invaluable asset to our D.
He's already overpaid.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He has looked like the weak link of the d so far, browns TD was on him playing out of position, a problem he frequently has. Bowman > Goldson.

and you based that off?

and he frequently has that problem? He got voted to the Probowl Starter by his peers, from players to coaches. Something your favorite player will probably never sniff.

Based on the fact that he ran forward at the snap of the ball leaving the hole that brown ran to open. And as far as your snide little remark, Patrick Willis has been to the pro bowl every year he has been in the NFL. No need to be a jerk just because you overvalue a guy. I even like Dashon, think he is a decent strong safety, but he is very undisciplined in coverage and not worthy of the big numbers until he earns them. It is crystal clear to anyone that knows football that he blew his assignment on that play, don't know why you don't get it.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Sep 12, 2012 at 4:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He has looked like the weak link of the d so far, browns TD was on him playing out of position, a problem he frequently has. Bowman > Goldson.

and you based that off?

and he frequently has that problem? He got voted to the Probowl Starter by his peers, from players to coaches. Something your favorite player will probably never sniff.

Based on the fact that he ran forward at the snap of the ball leaving the hole that brown ran to open. And as far as your snide little remark, Patrick Willis has been to the pro bowl every year he has been in the NFL. No need to be a jerk just because you overvalue a guy. I even like Dashon, think he is a decent strong safety, but he is very undisciplined in coverage and not worthy of the big numbers until he earns them. It is crystal clear to anyone that knows football that he blew his assignment on that play, don't know why you don't get it.
you can say you "like" him all you want....but you are the one saying he is frequently out of position, which is ridiculous because our defense would be getting exposed left and right, and he would be quickly replaced. But whatever I'm the jerk because i pointed how good he is and how valued he is, wait I'm sorry, how *over*valued he is by the rest of the league and our coaching staff.

like some are going based off Brown's tentative reaction, I'm going off Goldson's reaction, where he was much more angrier at Brown.
Goldson will turn 29 years old next September. No damn way would I think it wise to lock him up to Weddle money. Offer him a 4 year 20 mil with incentives that could add a mil more per year and likely watch him walk away to FA and slowly disappear from relevance on some lesser team. He's a good safety, but he's just not that good to pony up more than that. We can do fine moving on at FS with our front 7 and Fangio.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Goldson will turn 29 years old next September. No damn way would I think it wise to lock him up to Weddle money. Offer him a 4 year 20 mil with incentives that could add a mil more per year and likely watch him walk away to FA and slowly disappear from relevance on some lesser team. He's a good safety, but he's just not that good to pony up more than that. We can do fine moving on at FS with our front 7 and Fangio.

This all day