There are 190 users in the forums

Time to Talk about Goldson $$$$

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
In terms of free agency the best option who will hopefully be on the market if not franchised is Donte Whitner's former teammate in Buffalo Jairus Byrd. If we couldn't land Byrd then I would want us to draft a safety early. I dont see Goldson re-uping with us, the top tier safety market is non-existant this season so I think he will finally see his "Eric Weddle" money but it will just be in somewhere terrible like Miami.

byrd is a ballhawk it would be amazing if we could get him but i think he would demand a big pay day

i think we should get S early T J MacDonald eric Reid and Rambo are my favorite prospects
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
i rather give that money to bowman.

Im on board with this
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Yes, because that's really easy to find.

this years draft is stacked with 1st round saftey talent that are good or great in coverage

goldson is a hard hitter and plays the run great but it wont be to hard to find a player better in coverage.. maybe one of the main reasons goldson is not signed to a long term deal currently
Problem is were picking closer to the second round at 32 haha
No, it is not.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Bowman's extension > Goldson's resign

DOESN"T NEED ONE HE"S WITH THE TEAM THIS YEAR AND NEXT WE CAN JUST TAG HIM AFTER THAT!!! 2 Years left for him to play, He only started last season, what if he gets injured, what if he doesn't live up to the 50+ million. So after One season and a Game he's the best linebacker EVER! You want to lock him up an he's proven less than Goldson, a guy who's done it 3 years going into his 4th. ha will come down off his price, no team will pay that for him, besides when the vikings lost sharper they sucked in the back half. Saints win the superbowl, with sharper! 100 million dollars at ILB you guys are nuts, Should have just tripled mannings deal if we have all this cash to waste on one player. I don't think we wanted to keep morgan, he just came off a leg injury, and manningham looks like he's a better player, and we add moss.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

DOESN"T NEED ONE HE"S WITH THE TEAM THIS YEAR AND NEXT WE CAN JUST TAG HIM AFTER THAT!!! Goldson will come down off his price, no team will pay that for him!
Morgan...?
I highly doubt Baalke would negotiate an extension while Goldson's on a franchise tender.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I highly doubt Baalke would negotiate an extension while Goldson's on a franchise tender.

This thread is irrelevant as Corva indirectly states.

Goldson can not be negotiated with until after the season so he will definitely try and leverage us with fresh offers when open FA starts and we will let him walk.
He has looked like the weak link of the d so far, browns TD was on him playing out of position, a problem he frequently has. Bowman > Goldson.
Pay Bowman.
Tag Goldson
Draft a COVERAGE safety.

Dashon can hit, sure. Dashon can play the run. Sure. But every time someone passes deep to his area of the field, I get worried we're about to give up a long score. He looks clueless at times in coverage.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

yup
I rewatched the game and again, he struggled. He had a couple really nice plays but he is ALWAYS late, had more mental errors or miscommunications, poor technique at times, always looking to blow guys up, and I don't understand these "ball hawk" comments. I'd be ecstatic just to see him defend a single pass let alone suddenly becoming a ball hawk! His range is also very weak esp. along the sidelines and on providing help over the top. He's a veteran so he tends to be in the general area almost every time but he's a 5 for 25 million guy and with a SS already in Whitner, I wouldn't be surprised if we let him walk and allow someone to over pay him and we bring in someone with more speed, range and pass defense-ability over "intimidation." If you can find someone with ALL of these aforementioned attributes, then you pay him what he was asking for, IMHO.

Bowman is priority #1 and its not even close.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Pay Bowman.
Tag Goldson
Draft a COVERAGE safety.

Dashon can hit, sure. Dashon can play the run. Sure. But every time someone passes deep to his area of the field, I get worried we're about to give up a long score. He looks clueless at times in coverage.
so i guess you missed the only deep pass down the middle from Rodgers...where he had to overthrow it because of good coverage by Goldson.

I shouldn't be suprised though, most don't pay attention to our players...they just go based off what they remember or where ever the webzone hive mind blows.

anyway like someone posted earlier, we can't do nothing until the end of the season. And if Goldson continues to play well and make the ProBowl again, he'll be in a good position at the end of the year to do what is best for him.....if he gets tagged again, its going to be for much more money.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He has looked like the weak link of the d so far, browns TD was on him playing out of position, a problem he frequently has. Bowman > Goldson.

and you based that off?

and he frequently has that problem? He got voted to the Probowl Starter by his peers, from players to coaches. Something your favorite player will probably never sniff.
Goldson did have good coverage just barely trailing the WR on that deep bomb over the middle.. but Rodgers simply overthrew anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone