LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Time to Talk about Goldson $$$$

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Goldson will turn 29 years old next September. No damn way would I think it wise to lock him up to Weddle money. Offer him a 4 year 20 mil with incentives that could add a mil more per year and likely watch him walk away to FA and slowly disappear from relevance on some lesser team. He's a good safety, but he's just not that good to pony up more than that. We can do fine moving on at FS with our front 7 and Fangio.

This all day

The voice of reason strikes again! There are at least 5 solid safeties slated to go in the first 2 days of the draft this year if they declare. Much rather take an early FS in the draf then pour $35-40M into Goldson.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Goldson will turn 29 years old next September. No damn way would I think it wise to lock him up to Weddle money. Offer him a 4 year 20 mil with incentives that could add a mil more per year and likely watch him walk away to FA and slowly disappear from relevance on some lesser team. He's a good safety, but he's just not that good to pony up more than that. We can do fine moving on at FS with our front 7 and Fangio.

This all day

The voice of reason strikes again! There are at least 5 solid safeties slated to go in the first 2 days of the draft this year if they declare. Much rather take an early FS in the draf then pour $35-40M into Goldson.

I agree , I like Goldson, he is a hard hitting safety, but giving him a monster contract will limit what we can do in free agency ... we could always draft a safety in the first round, but re-signing Soap and Bowman is top priority , Soap is an important part of our D-Line ...and Bowman, C'mon ..he is an elite football player and needs to retire a 49er
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I agree , I like Goldson, he is a hard hitting safety, but giving him a monster contract will limit what we can do in free agency ... we could always draft a safety in the first round, but re-signing Soap and Bowman is top priority , Soap is an important part of our D-Line ...and Bowman, C'mon ..he is an elite football player and needs to retire a 49er

I'd have to disagree with you that Sopoaga is a top priority. We saw a prime example yesterday of how well our defense performs without him out there. Yes it was a unique game plan specific to the pass happy packers but we will see another variation of that this week against Detroit and likely later in the season against the Patriots as well. Personally I think moving RJF to the starting NT is the more prudent decision. Tukuafu seems more then capable of filling RJF's role as primary DT backup while drafting another late round DT/NT to compete with Ian Williams.

But thats not for this topic -- back to Goldson -- I hope he shows improvement in tackling as the season progresses otherwise I definitely wont mind if we opt not to re-sign him.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM ]
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

I'd have to disagree with you that Sopoaga is a top priority. We saw a prime example yesterday of how well our defense performs without him out there. Yes it was a unique game plan specific to the pass happy packers but we will see another variation of that this week against Detroit and likely later in the season against the Patriots as well. Personally I think moving RJF to the starting NT is the more prudent decision. Tukuafu seems more then capable of filling RJF's role as primary DT backup while drafting another late round DT/NT to compete with Ian Williams.

But thats not for this topic -- back to Goldson -- I hope he shows improvement in tackling as the season progresses otherwise I definitely wont mind if we opt not to re-sign him.

I'd like to keep soap. Many posters have noted that they've wanted a real powerful big body at nt for a long time. We have one. Idk sometimes those interior d linemen can have a tendency to be able to play at a high level for a lil bit longer. In soaps case technique is improving to go along with is strength.

I guess its all about the contract in the end but at the same time get the impression that soap and Franklin look at the world differently (opinion based on players public info about contract negotiations and absolutely nothing). I love that the teams finally has some depth i think soap still the best of the bunch.

Save the cash for bowman.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he is goo dbut no way worth that much

id actually perfer a rookie would be cheaper plus we can use someone who is better in coverahe

some beat writer posted some of goldson coverage stats he allows QBR of over 100 when he is guarding a player he also let that open TD to jones brown was clearly mad at him

You have no idea who was at fault on that play because you have no idea what the defensive call was and our tight-lipped coaches sure as hell won't say, but both Goldson and Brown were heated.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lordfangio:
You have no idea who was at fault on that play because you have no idea what the defensive call was and our tight-lipped coaches sure as hell won't say, but both Goldson and Brown were heated.

dude I already got in an argument with someone else over this. Half the people on this board, the Fox announcers - one of them a HOF QB, and our own beat writers Inman and Maioccio all believe he left his assignment. Add that to the fact that Brown chastised him and you get a pretty clear idea that Goldson MORE THEN LIKELY LEFT HIS ASSIGNMENT ............... He made an impulse decision and it allowed a TD, end discussion, we need to beat into his head that he can't do that otherwise we will put someone back there who wont abandon their assignment.
I just have way too much of a feeling that Goldson will go all Haynesworth and not try very hard after getting a big contract. He had a chance to sign an extension but way overvalued himself and turned it down like a fool. I say let him test the market again and when no team is willing to give him the money he thinks he deserves then he can crawl back to the niners. Don't get me wrong, I do like him as a player right now but I'm not a huge fan of guys who think they are better than they are and that has been Goldson's thing.
dude I already got in an argument with someone else over this. Half the people on this board, the Fox announcers - one of them a HOF QB, and our own beat writers Inman and Maioccio all believe he left his assignment. Add that to the fact that Brown chastised him and you get a pretty clear idea that Goldson MORE THEN LIKELY LEFT HIS ASSIGNMENT ............... He made an impulse decision and it allowed a TD, end discussion, we need to beat into his head that he can't do that otherwise we will put someone back there who wont abandon their assignment.

You think Fangio hit up Maiocco to tell him the defensive call? really?? I could care less if Brown was yelling, so was Goldson and tons of people yell when they're wrong. Brown could have legitimately THOUGHT Goldson was supposed to be there and been wrong. I'm not saying Goldson was right nor am I saying he was wrong...I'm saying you don't know, I don't know, Troy Aikman (who was saying all sorts of dumb s**t all game by the way, he's taken one too many concussions) doesn't know, and Matt Maiocco doesn't know.
He wants Eric Weddle type money (over $8 million per) but the Niners aren't going to pay that. After one game, Goldson doesn't have enough leverage yet to even discuss this. Later maybe, but not yet.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
He wants Eric Weddle type money (over $8 million per) but the Niners aren't going to pay that. After one game, Goldson doesn't have enough leverage yet to even discuss this. Later maybe, but not yet.

And after one game Bowman gets 50 million.. We don't need high priced free agents, we need to resign our own guys, and draft replacements, Teams are picking us for talent finally!

it looked a lot like cover 2

brown had the flat while goldson was supposed to stay deep he got faked into converging into a tackle

youre right im not 100% sure but it looked like thats what happened
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
it looked a lot like cover 2

brown had the flat while goldson was supposed to stay deep he got faked into converging into a tackle

youre right im not 100% sure but it looked like thats what happened

How does that look like cover 2??? Watch that again it looks like cover 3! The otherside ran cover 3 and goldson ran it also, actually everyone but Brown Ran cover 3, he ran a cover two sink, and Perrish Cox even back peddle into the zone, he just didn't get deep enough. Even Whitner looked to stay short, I don't think it was cover 2, none of the saftey's looked for the deep sideline passes, they played short because the Cb's were to play long! I think that was brown's mistake!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM ]
Goldson was like a heat seeking missile tonight. Very impressed.
"Pay the man his money". Don't want to see Weddle money but the physicality he brings at the back end is highly impressive. If there was a way to keep him and Bowman, do it. Having said that, I'd rather see Bowman locked up if we have to choose either or.
Now I'm sold that we NEED Goldson next year. Please lock him up!
Share 49ersWebzone