LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Time to Talk about Goldson $$$$

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rodgers had a QBR of 127.1 (best vs any SF defender) when throwing into Goldson's area of coverage.. according to PFF.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He has looked like the weak link of the d so far, browns TD was on him playing out of position, a problem he frequently has. Bowman > Goldson.

and you based that off?

and he frequently has that problem? He got voted to the Probowl Starter by his peers, from players to coaches. Something your favorite player will probably never sniff.

He based it off the fact that TB looked at him and pointed while speaking to him, pretty much saying why did you run forward? The announcers even touched on it that Goldson left his coverage assignment and it was the main reason that TD happened.

Sounds like your favorite player is getting criticized and you dont like it. I like Goldson but I admit he gets too overzealous and freelances during zone schemes, he isn't Polomalu - he doesnt have that kind of freedom. He also takes poor angles on the majority of plays, yes he got voted to the pro-bowl but its because he played the defensive scheme very well. Our coverage scheme will allow any half talent player to pick up overthrown INTs because we put a bracket squeeze on all underneath routes.
Actually its not. Not only is he not the most important player we need to extend, we couldn't even do it until the end of season....

/thread
I personally think he has earned his money, but we can tag him again next year so...
He's gone after this year. 9ers aren't going to pay him what he wants
Are we going to go over this after every week? We spent so much time on it in the offseason.
Myabe Goldson did abandon his assignment on that jones touchdown.
Who was suppose to be covering that guy out in the flat?
I believe either way it was a touchdown.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I personally think he has earned his money, but we can tag him again next year so...

Agree, if we can't work out a longterm contract he gets the tag, No other player we have going into free agency would. I think he will be tagged again, and his replacement drafted, giving us one more year so as to groom the future. We've got a smart coach and G.M. less risky and if he get's hurt the drafted player can fill in.

I only went into this, because everyone thinks, after a year and 1 game we should give bowman 50+ million, The risk of him not living up to that, or getting injured before his current contract is up is too risky of a move...
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Myabe Goldson did abandon his assignment on that jones touchdown.
Who was suppose to be covering that guy out in the flat?
I believe either way it was a touchdown.

I think Brown releases Jones and is supposed to come down and make the open field tackle on the receiver in the flat if the throw is made there.
Thanks for verifying that for me.

Bowman is more important. Hopefully we'll get Goldson done as well. We shall see though. There is no "rush" to get the deal done right now.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He has looked like the weak link of the d so far, browns TD was on him playing out of position, a problem he frequently has. Bowman > Goldson.

and you based that off?

and he frequently has that problem? He got voted to the Probowl Starter by his peers, from players to coaches. Something your favorite player will probably never sniff.

He based it off the fact that TB looked at him and pointed while speaking to him, pretty much saying why did you run forward? The announcers even touched on it that Goldson left his coverage assignment and it was the main reason that TD happened.

Sounds like your favorite player is getting criticized and you dont like it. I like Goldson but I admit he gets too overzealous and freelances during zone schemes, he isn't Polomalu - he doesnt have that kind of freedom. He also takes poor angles on the majority of plays, yes he got voted to the pro-bowl but its because he played the defensive scheme very well. Our coverage scheme will allow any half talent player to pick up overthrown INTs because we put a bracket squeeze on all underneath routes.

so based off TB reaction you feel it was Goldson's fault? Did you even notice Goldson's reaction? probably not...I'm not surprised though.... again, I'm just saying this because you brought Brown's reaction, but didn't mention Goldson.

Brown gingerly point to Goldson... where as Goldson looked frustrated and showed up Brown on the field, looked like he wanted to beat his ass... Usually our players don't make scenes like that, so I would think Goldson might have done his job on the play.

as far as the commentary crew, they don't know the scheme and I believe at the end of pointing out that Goldson went to go after Cobb, that it might have been a miscommunication issue on both sides. (I'll watch it again tonight)

as far as the bolded part..lol....any half-talented player right?

its not about my "favorite" player getting criticized, I like all our players... its when folks feel the need to unjustly undervalue our players to make a point. They will make excuses as to why other players on our teams or others...excuses as to why they are considered good..where as they will have excuses as to why their *favorite* player is doing not so well or not considered Elite.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM ]
I think that Goldson has earned his money, however the issue is, we can't pay everyone. If we had a cap around 140 million, sure, pay the man. But the problem is we don't and we have many players to consider this offseason like Soapoaga, Ricky Jean-Francois, and Delanie Walker to name a few. I don't think Bowman's contract will become an issue this offseason, however if they chose to get a deal done with Bowman before Goldson, I'm all for that. I've all but accepted the fact that Goldson will be gone unless he plays at an All-Pro level. I don't expect Baalke to budge on his offer unless Dashon plays like a mix between Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott the remainder of this season. If he has any kind of a decent year, and he will in this defense, teams are going to throw a truckload of money at him and the 49ers front office will not get into a bidding war, in spite of the fact that we don't have a clear alternative behind him.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think that Goldson has earned his money, however the issue is, we can't pay everyone. If we had a cap around 140 million, sure, pay the man. But the problem is we don't and we have many players to consider this offseason like Soapoaga, Ricky Jean-Francois, and Delanie Walker to name a few. I don't think Bowman's contract will become an issue this offseason, however if they chose to get a deal done with Bowman before Goldson, I'm all for that. I've all but accepted the fact that Goldson will be gone unless he plays at an All-Pro level. I don't expect Baalke to budge on his offer unless Dashon plays like a mix between Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott the remainder of this season. If he has any kind of a decent year, and he will in this defense, teams are going to throw a truckload of money at him and the 49ers front office will not get into a bidding war, in spite of the fact that we don't have a clear alternative behind him.

agree with this.. I don't expect us to overpay* for Goldson.. and I wouldn't be for it at the expense of the rest of the team. I just don't understand why some go out of their way to unjustly critique his play as if we can easily replace him with "half-decent" players.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

agree with this.. I don't expect us to overpay* for Goldson.. and I wouldn't be for it at the expense of the rest of the team. I just don't understand why some go out of their way to unjustly critique his play as if we can easily replace him with "half-decent" players.

Agree, the draft is hit and miss. Besides, will be picking later than the last draft if we keep playing well.
Share 49ersWebzone