LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Delanie Walker (and others)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HearstFan:
There is the perception that the 49ers have a feared 2 TE set with VD and Walker - but Walker seems to be very little threat in the offense and when he does have a chance to make plays he is dropping balls - 2 today? Do others share that perception? Maybe Celek should get some playing time in 2 TE sets - he was apparently kept because they like his hands.

Gore - I believed Gore had become a North-South only running, lacking burst around the edge anymore. Hmmm, he got to the edge today!

Moss got his TD, but he did seem disappointed in his role. I hope his role increases or he doesn't implode in mid season.

He SEEMED disappointed? Well thanks for your uninformed observation, taken from watching the game at home like everyone else.
DW drops a lot IMO and holds the ball like a loaf of bread and looks like a fumble waiting to happen. Plus his vaunted speed doesn't seem to get him open very often. I think the guy is overrated. But this is negated somewhat by the fact that we have a better WR corps now than we did in the past. So we don't need much from a 2nd TE.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Excellent performance - especially for te first game of the season.

The D was tough as nails and Brooks had his best game as a Niner. Aldon played very well

Boone played very well, Kilgore looked good, and so did Cox, Culliver, Bowman and others.

Delaine had a bad game, Staley played well considering he was 1 on 1 w/an excellent Mathews. I'd like to see other teams play Justin with just one player.

We thoroughly out-coached them.

Moss & Manningham played fine and will continue to produce & contribute to our success.

Last and certainly not least - Alex played very good. First game of the season he was carving them up like a Sunday roast.

Also for staley on top of being good against Mathews... He did it all with a broken nose the entire game
Originally posted by RonMexico:
What in gods name are you talking about

^This!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over analysis can be a killer!
One of the best road games in years against a Super Bowl contender and still have the complainers. Unbelievable!
As an athlete for his role, I appreciate him. But he really needs to improve his hands and concentration and ball security.

Pretty soon it won't be hard to find athletes like him that play tweener TE/FB roles like him. The Patriots already have a better TE in Aaron Hernandez and he's not their #1. The rest of the NFL will soon follow suit.
Delaine is a good player. But he's not someone who we need to keep around at all costs. He'll be a FA after this year, and he'll probably get more on the open market than he is worth. He's a nice role player but not someone that we can't afford to lose.
delaine should have motivation to do well since this is his contract year.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Delaine is a good player. But he's not someone who we need to keep around at all costs. He'll be a FA after this year, and he'll probably get more on the open market than he is worth. He's a nice role player but not someone that we can't afford to lose.
agreed can be upgraded but i dont think he hits FA market he likes it hear a lot

only reason i see him leave is he wants a bigger role in recieving game or he gets offered ridiclous amount of money

if he leaves we probablly need to go TE pretty early though our system needs 2 TE
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM ]
Walker's tendency for drops and injuries keeps his value down. But JH has repeatedly cited him as being super valuable in his ability to play all over the field, so his value is greater to SF than other teams.

If Dan Snyder likes him...he's gone!

Originally posted by NickSh49:
There is the perception that the 49ers have a feared 2 TE set with VD and Walker - but Walker seems to be very little threat in the offense and when he does have a chance to make plays he is dropping balls - 2 today? Do others share that perception? Maybe Celek should get some playing time in 2 TE sets - he was apparently kept because they like his hands.

Gore - I believed Gore had become a North-South only running, lacking burst around the edge anymore. Hmmm, he got to the edge today!

Moss got his TD, but he did seem disappointed in his role. I hope his role increases or he doesn't implode in mid season.

He SEEMED disappointed? Well thanks for your uninformed observation, taken from watching the game at home like everyone else.

Moss got a TD in the stadium where he loves to terrorize the fans ...dont think he was disappointed at all , almost 2 years away from the game and he gets a TD in the biggest game on sunday ...I think he is Just fine ..
He's open on third downs.....but drops em.

Trade this dude.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
One of the best road games in years against a Super Bowl contender and still have the complainers. Unbelievable!

unlike with his other teams i don't think moss would get the chance to implode before harbaugh would cut his ass. i don't see harbaugh having tolerance for malcontents and lack of effort. at his age i think randy might be happy with his role and the chance for a ring in the next few years.
NCommand was right, he did drop three, tho one was a tough catch, I think behind him. Nonetheless, some of you are forgetting what Delanie does in open field and he does make good catches. Last yr, he was definitely one of our better receivers until he got hurt. Going into NYG title game we had crbtree,vernon, kyle. And that was it...and crbtree grabbed a pass or two and that was it, including the Saints game. We missed Delanie, like we missed Ginn, et al. 3 receivers for that title game , one a TE, one a reserve, and the other never open was a tough chore for alex. We could have used Delanie in that game.

As for AJ, AND La Michael, when do you remember the 9ers not playing either their #1 or #2 pick in the game? Granted , this is only game 1, but I think Coach feels he has enough talent that two guys who are going to be around a long time, can sit the pine, because he has Vernon, Crbtre, moss, mario, and delanie...all as legit targets. Meanwhile not many teams in the nfl could let their #1 and #2 picks sit during such a huge game. Other thing is, I don't think Coach H wanted ANY rooks in that game. He knew who he was playing and no chance for rookie errors in a game that was so close. It does show just how much talent this team has, AND, just how smart the two experienced signings of moss and mario were. Plus, we didn't even unveil Jacobs and his 245 pounds near the goal line. I wonder if he has any hx of fumbling, or had a bad camp?
Share 49ersWebzone