LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

How will the Packers attack the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If you were Mike McCarthy watching the 49ers defense on film. Would you be able to spot a weakness in the 49ers defense? If so, what? And how would you exploit it.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts. Ready, set, go
[ Edited by verb1der on Sep 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM ]
pass every single down
Block the pass rush, and throw the ball.
James Jones vs Trumaine Brock
They are gonna throw alot of quick passes, alot of 3 step drops and not let Brooks and Smith get pressure on Rodgers. Packers will aslo throw alot of screens to keep the rush manageable and they will try to exploit our DBs on some long throws because we are playing with replacement refs who might throw a flag or two for PI where the regualr refs may not. Playing in Green Bay in that pass happy hostile environment, I'm sure they will get some PI calls.
I would move rodgers around a lot. I would make a real effort at running. Maybe use some screens and misdirection plays. Before last year we struggled against fast running backs. I think we could still be vulnerable there. Most of all though, i would run at aldon smith. People think hes just gonna step right in and be 3 down player. But all it would take is aldon messing up or hesitating to loose the game. I would test him first
I'm more concerned about how they will attack our offense.

The formula for success over the past 10 years has been to stack the box with 8-10 guys and run blitz in between the T's and play tight up at the LOS with their secondary. By run blitzing, they stuff the run on 1st down (constantly putting us in 2nd and 3rd and longs) and kill Alex under 3 seconds b/c the secondary only needs to hold coverage for under 3 seconds. It's a very simple formula that has worked very successfully including the NFCCG last year.
Originally posted by E-49er:
They are gonna throw alot of quick passes, alot of 3 step drops and not let Brooks and Smith get pressure on Rodgers. Packers will aslo throw alot of screens to keep the rush manageable and they will try to exploit our DBs on some long throws because we are playing with replacement refs who might throw a flag or two for PI where the regualr refs may not. Playing in Green Bay in that pass happy hostile environment, I'm sure they will get some PI calls.

I think the Saints tried this same approach no? Then Brees started getting impatient and started taking risks which lead to INTs.

I can see the Packers trying to do this, but imo I think this is exactly what the 49ers defense is good at, keeping everything in front of them with sound tackling, while preventing big plays in the back end.

Throw, throw and throw some more.

It's really the only strategy there is against this D, and Rogers is the best quick passer in the game. Expect the ball to be out of his hands the second he hits his third step. Hit all the underneath routes one can in the first couple drives, and then fake the underneath and go long to catch Goldson out of position. Start Kuhn as the RB and keep him in to passprotect almost every play.

If Rogers stays upright... we lose this game.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
isn't there a Pre-Gameday thread you could've asked this question in?

Originally posted by DRnSFw:

What Oscar said in the opposite thread!
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:

What Oscar said in the opposite thread!

I seen that..lol
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
By prayer Only thing they can do
On offense: Yes, they're going to throw all game and feature as many short passing plays as they can. They'll also see how often they can get Aldon Smith in coverage, and then go after him. I'd assume that they'd go after him in the run game as well. He hasn't yet proven that he can hold the line in the run game and pass defend.

On defense: Same formula as everyone else: crowd the LOS, do whatever it takes to make VD a nonfactor. Make Alex Smith throw it to the WRs to get down the field.
I expect them to test the secondary with slants and crosses just as the Gints did with Cruz and Nicks. Finley, Jennings, and Nelson are all fast and dangerous, the Niners will need to have safety help over the top every down and that will leave the middle of the field open most likely. Bowman and Willis will have to cover a lot of territory, which is fortunately a strength for them. Hoping Willis gets his hands on a pass or two and takes them the other way.
Share 49ersWebzone