There are 312 users in the forums

Should we trade for an OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
may laughed off the board for this but when did Joey Porter last play for the cards? Last year or the year before? I dont recall seeing him play the last couple years but is he someone they could do a vet minimum 1 year contract and have him come in ever once in a while to give the guys a break?
First of all, there's no guarantee Haggans will be suspended. If he is, you can bet Baalke/Harbaugh have a b/u plan. Trust our leadership...they haven't let us down yet.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Cb and safety blitzes!!!!
right, you blitz rogers and he will burn you big time. you have to get pressure on him with no cute tricks that could leave you exposed and hanging. of course miller will be at outside linebacker so that is all we will need

We don't need to blitz the front 4 is good, and if we do it will be either willis or bowman. Besides, all we have to do use justin to take on the guard and tackle, and stunt aldon and bam free shots on rodgers.. besides, brooks has speed for the outside rush, Raymac, Justin, Aldon all have power, so Brooks will force aaron to step up right into 3 anger big men..
No, no. You don't seem to understand.

CC is saying that Fangio is in over his head, or is too arrogant, to design a competent NFL defense. After all, how'd Fangio do last season with his defense and only three OLB's (one of whom really only played DE in the nickel package.)

Oh, wait.
Ha-ha, I got yeah; did he watch us last year? We will throw in a cb blitz from time to time, but mainly it is a 4-man rush or bowman pass rushing up the gap, we play man over 75% of the time anyways. We stop the run, and the packers were 32 last season. Therefore, that makes it very easy for us, and Rodgers loves to pass, it comes down to getting pressure and throwing off his timing and forces him to make mistakes. We do what the giants did... Play man, rush 4, Rodgers will run sometimes and take off, but hopefully we throw off the timing and we get many drop passes, do not go for play action, they cannot run anyways. The defense sucks for them, they will be forced to blitz us and should give Alex some easy passes, Gore, Walker, Brandon, should have good day running, if they don't blitz rush we should have all day like Eli did in the pocket to decide on the pass. In addition, good luck to the packers it is going to take three people to cover VD!

We do not need to trade for a player at olb, unless one of the starters goes out, but we can find a solid backup olb we do not need to trade... Besides, we have Cam Johnson and Michael Wilhoiteon practice, we also have Larry Grant, and Tavares Gooden if we need them to play olb. We also have Clark Haggans, Demarcus Dobbs and if we really really need one we can even have Bruce Miller get snaps on defense, coach has said last year they may give him some snaps on defense. We have plenty of guys all these guys earned a spot to play for the niners, and they will do whatever job the coaching staff needs them to do, remove your hand from the panic button!

In addition, this is not just fangio's defense; Fangio says this is what I need to run my game plan, Insert Trent Baalke. We need a cover cb; Carlos was added Nate was cut. We need a strong safety that can punish the run an still help in the pass, Whitner. I need a free safety that can hit and cover also, Resign Goldson, and tag him the next year. We need a nose tackle, cut franklin start Issac, We need a 3-4 End, resign Raymac and start him. We need a pass rusher at olb, draft Aldon 14.5 sacks.This season we needed to keep Goldson, Tag. Keep Carlos, Resigned. Keep Brooks Resigned. Get another Good Cb Carlos is older and, Brown and Culliver will need help in the future, insert Perrish Cox, not only does he rape women he rapes Wr's.. Keep depth at MLB, tender Grant, Depth at olb draft 2 people, you cannot help or account for injuries, but you see a problem it gets fixed. This team is not ran by a one year thinking G.M. or Head Coach, this team is looking 5 years into the future and keeping a good team together, adding pieces to improve it, and such as wr getting moss, and HAM lol, and drafting A.J. to be the future replacement and learn and get a few positive reps in games to build their confidence, we call this breading winners.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Sorry, but this is an incorrect statement.. The solution we've seen so far, in preseason games, has been Dobbs filling in at OLB in the nickel packages that are most likely to be seen in games against pass happy teams such as GB. Not Miller.

You are correct in stating "if" Haggens get suspended. My understanding is that his hearing is today and no decision will be issued until next week, so he's likely to be able to play this coming Sunday, and the team has a week or so to make any other move necessary.

You're also incorrect in stating that Miller has "litte or no experience with" playing OLB. Miller played OLB throughout his collegiate career, and set a sack record for his school and his conference, I believe. Its not rocket science or brain surgery, and I'd bet that Miller could return to it pretty quick if need be.
playing lineback in the nfl is a bit different than college. in answer to you in a previous post, the arrogance in the manning smith fiasco was that they chased manning thinking that smith will just set around and play checkers,,, when smith said f**k you and went down to miami,, yes the great JH was caught with his pants down because there was no way in gods gree earth he thought his boy smith would ever leave or consider it. through thier arrogance they almost lost two quarterbacks and it was only because smith never got a deal from anyone did he come back. i could really care less if you question my posts or not. i give me opinion, you do not like it, do not respond,this is not oprah and i am not here to please the massess
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
We don't need to blitz the front 4 is good, and if we do it will be either willis or bowman. Besides, all we have to do use justin to take on the guard and tackle, and stunt aldon and bam free shots on rodgers.. besides, brooks has speed for the outside rush, Raymac, Justin, Aldon all have power, so Brooks will force aaron to step up right into 3 anger big men..
agree, good job
Sorry, but this is an incorrect statement.. The solution we've seen so far, in preseason games, has been Dobbs filling in at OLB in the nickel packages that are most likely to be seen in games against pass happy teams such as GB. Not Miller.

You are correct in stating "if" Haggens get suspended. My understanding is that his hearing is today and no decision will be issued until next week, so he's likely to be able to play this coming Sunday, and the team has a week or so to make any other move necessary.

You're also incorrect in stating that Miller has "litte or no experience with" playing OLB. Miller played OLB throughout his collegiate career, and set a sack record for his school and his conference, I believe. Its not rocket science or brain surgery, and I'd bet that Miller could return to it pretty quick if need be.
playing lineback in the nfl is a bit different than college. in answer to you in a previous post, the arrogance in the manning smith fiasco was that they chased manning thinking that smith will just set around and play checkers,,, when smith said f**k you and went down to miami,, yes the great JH was caught with his pants down because there was no way in gods gree earth he thought his boy smith would ever leave or consider it. through thier arrogance they almost lost two quarterbacks and it was only because smith never got a deal from anyone did he come back. i could really care less if you question my posts or not. i give me opinion, you do not like it, do not respond,this is not oprah and i am not here to please the massess
Hmm, so you think this was all some kinda soap opera, JH risking the wrath of Alex if he showed any interest in Peyton Manning???

You know from what source that Alex Smith didn't understand that the NFL is a business, and that pursuing an upgrade at his position (you will concede that Peyton Manning might be a little better QB than Alex Smith, won't you?) is just part of it. Alex is a big boy and obviously smart enough to know how the NFL works.

You make some pretty big assumptions. You think they didn't consider the possibility that Alex might sign with someone else? You think Alex wasn't just following his agent's advice and visiting Miami to see if he, like Manning, could drive up his price a little by exploring other options?

And if Alex had gone elsewhere, you think Harbaugh would have completely given up coaching? That he wouldn't be willing to go forward with, oh, maybe Kapernick, Tolzien and Johnson at QB?

So glad you don't mind someone asking questions raised by your posts. Not trying to offend, just asking questions.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Sep 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM ]

Hmm, so you think this was all some kinda soap opera, JH risking the wrath of Alex if he showed any interest in Peyton Manning???

You know from what source that Alex Smith didn't understand that the NFL is a business, and that pursuing an upgrade at his position (you will concede that Peyton Manning might be a little better QB than Alex Smith, won't you?) is just part of it. Alex is a big boy and obviously smart enough to know how the NFL works.

You make some pretty big assumptions. You think they didn't consider the possibility that Alex might sign with someone else? You think Alex wasn't just following his agent's advice and visiting Miami to see if he, like Manning, could drive up his price a little by exploring other options?

And if Alex had gone elsewhere, you think Harbaugh would have completely given up coaching? That he wouldn't be willing to go forward with, oh, maybe Kapernick, Tolzien and Johnson at QB?

So glad you don't mind someone asking questions raised by your posts. Not trying to offend, just asking questions.
Alex did get an offer from Miami wtf? They said the offer was the same as the niners, and so he rather go back to the niners, why because the teams better atleast he will have a better record and the same money... Jim wanted to improve the team it's payton manning he improves any team the second he signs a contract, Lets see Alex<Payton, I can say this because one has a superbowl ring and the other took 7 years to get into the playoffs... Besides, we all no alex isn't a super cocky guy like aaron rodgers, he can understand that manning is going to the hall of fame, and alex would be lucky to get his bust label lifted.
Share 49ersWebzone