LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 307 users in the forums

Should we trade for an OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
We land a dude who might not be eligible to play 1-3 games? Not great, not horrific player. But, what about the guys we just cut? The dude from Hawaii is a big OLB, but has great speed for his size. Front office knows what it is doing, but this has me wondering.

carefull, i have already been called hysterical for raising these same concerns about the front office, as you know you can not question the front office and still be a fan of the team. they knew about having to put him on injured reserve before they made the cuts so that makes it double dumb.
Cb and safety blitzes!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Snider8706:
right, you blitz rogers and he will burn you big time. you have to get pressure on him with no cute tricks that could leave you exposed and hanging. of course miller will be at outside linebacker so that is all we will need
Originally posted by cciowa:
We land a dude who might not be eligible to play 1-3 games? Not great, not horrific player. But, what about the guys we just cut? The dude from Hawaii is a big OLB, but has great speed for his size. Front office knows what it is doing, but this has me wondering.

carefull, i have already been called hysterical for raising these same concerns about the front office, as you know you can not question the front office and still be a fan of the team. they knew about having to put him on injured reserve before they made the cuts so that makes it double dumb.
No, you have been challenged because you referred to the front office as "idiotic" and because you have mocked the coaching staff for "their little blue shirts."

Its one thing to raise issues and be critical; its something else to sarcastically and viciously mock the front office and coaching staff based only on the incomplete information to which we, as fans, are limited.
right, you blitz rogers and he will burn you big time. you have to get pressure on him with no cute tricks that could leave you exposed and hanging. of course miller will be at outside linebacker so that is all we will need

Miller has never played outside LB in the nfl, I'm not saying he can't but that would be risky
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

No, you have been challenged because you referred to the front office as "idiotic" and because you have mocked the coaching staff for "their little blue shirts."

Its one thing to raise issues and be critical; its something else to sarcastically and viciously mock the front office and coaching staff based only on the incomplete information to which we, as fans, are limited.
they also due to thier arrogance bungled the manning smith thing and almost cost us two good quarterbacks in my opinion. yes in those two cases they have been idiotic in my opinion.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Miller has never played outside LB in the nfl, I'm not saying he can't but that would be risky
well that has been the solution to our depth issue at outside linebacker if higgins gets suspended according to some well meaning posters. i guess they figure with the all powerfull JH as the coach he can simply will players to play a position they have little or no experience with.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

they also due to thier arrogance bungled the manning smith thing and almost cost us two good quarterbacks in my opinion. yes in those two cases they have been idiotic in my opinion.
So you know all about what occurred in the Manning, Smith "thing." Please fill us in.

Was it Manning who initiated the contact, invited Harbaugh to a workout, wanted to see if the Niners were interested enough to pony up the fortune he was asking for, and had nothing to lose by making Denver think he had other options?

Your source for all this info is whom? Peyton hisself? Or maybe Archie? Or some beat writer in Denver? Who?

And you would have recommended what, that the Niners not even consider the possibility that a future HOF QB might want to play for SF? That he might be more interested in getting a SB ring than in the money? (Wrong.)

So it was idiotic that the Niners let themselves be used by Manning? Or would it have been more idiotic to completely ignore him?

An just how is it "arrogance" to consider Manning? They thought they were too good to sign him? They why'd they go to his workout?

How does the Manning/Smith QB situation count as "two cases?" Wasn't it a single episode?

You don't appear know all the details of what actually occurred, or why, yet you're condemning the Niners.

SMH.

Feel free to criticize the Niners all you want, but please provide us with some evidence to back up what you say.

Otherwise some of us will question your posts.

well that has been the solution to our depth issue at outside linebacker if higgins gets suspended according to some well meaning posters. i guess they figure with the all powerfull JH as the coach he can simply will players to play a position they have little or no experience with.
Sorry, but this is an incorrect statement.. The solution we've seen so far, in preseason games, has been Dobbs filling in at OLB in the nickel packages that are most likely to be seen in games against pass happy teams such as GB. Not Miller.

You are correct in stating "if" Haggens get suspended. My understanding is that his hearing is today and no decision will be issued until next week, so he's likely to be able to play this coming Sunday, and the team has a week or so to make any other move necessary.

You're also incorrect in stating that Miller has "litte or no experience with" playing OLB. Miller played OLB throughout his collegiate career, and set a sack record for his school and his conference, I believe. Its not rocket science or brain surgery, and I'd bet that Miller could return to it pretty quick if need be.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM ]

We don't need to blitz the front 4 is good, and if we do it will be either willis or bowman. Besides, all we have to do use justin to take on the guard and tackle, and stunt aldon and bam free shots on rodgers.. besides, brooks has speed for the outside rush, Raymac, Justin, Aldon all have power, so Brooks will force aaron to step up right into 3 anger big men..
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM ]

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

We don't need to blitz the front 4 is good, and if we do it will be either willis or bowman. Besides, all we have to do use justin to take on the guard and tackle, and stunt aldon and bam free shots on rodgers.. besides, brooks has speed for the outside rush, Raymac, Justin, Aldon all have power, so Brooks will force aaron to step up right into 3 anger big men..
No, no. You don't seem to understand.

CC is saying that Fangio is in over his head, or is too arrogant, to design a competent NFL defense. After all, how'd Fangio do last season with his defense and only three OLB's (one of whom really only played DE in the nickel package.)

Oh, wait.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
We won't be in much 3-4 against the packers or the Lions week 1 or 2. We will be using 4 linemen Smith, Smith, Soap, and Brooks with McDonald and RJF subing in. We won't be using an OLB much these first 2 games.

Otherwise known as CC's entire keyboard.
[video]http:// [URL=http://gifsoup.com/view/3517582/panic-button-gif.html][/URL] [URL=http://gifsoup.com/]GIFSoup[/URL][/video]
It wouldn't be fair to criticize CC over his concerns re the OLB issue. Alot of us are worried about it.

An it wouldn't be fair to criticize him just because he disagrees with the front office or the coaching staff. Alot of us questioned why all of those OLBs were cut.

I just disagree with the sarcasm and name calling directed at the front office and coaching staff that doesn't, at present, appear to be justified by any actual evidence.
Share 49ersWebzone