LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bowl Run? →

There are 117 users in the forums

Niners to sign Clark Haggans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good pickup at this point. Would have loved Westerman, but the Tards
were awarded him over the Niners.

Just don't understand all the. cut Dobbs talk. If anyone should be cut on defense, it is Ian Williams.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Just don't understand all the. cut Dobbs talk. If anyone should be cut on defense, it is Ian Williams.

No way we cut Williams or Dobbs. 1st to go would be McBath, Celek or Brock IMO. Next year Sopoaga and RJF are both free agents. I'd keep Ian who will likely be a backup because odds are 1 won't be back due to the cap. (of course we would want both back) He's gotten a lot better since last year and a lot stronger. His weight is also down from around 320 to 305.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

No way we cut Williams or Dobbs. 1st to go would be McBath, Celek or Brock IMO. Next year Sopoaga and RJF are both free agents. I'd keep Ian who will likely be a backup because odds are 1 won't be back due to the cap. (of course we would want both back) He's gotten a lot better since last year and a lot stronger. His weight is also down from around 320 to 305.

Brock's not going anywhere IMO

We can't get rid of Celek. His girlfriend is a smoke.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Cut Dixon.
I don't think Williams is going anywhere. He was very good in the preseason.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Naturally a position of overt strength would be the one to suffer before we take away from a position of weakness. If any particular player is to be cut its going to be Williams because his absence would not be noticed nearly as much because he plays behind 3 incredibly skilled players in Smith, Sopoaga, MacDonald, and a solid backup of RJF, then Tukuafu and Dobbs.

One could make an argument for Brock or McBath but can we really afford to only carry 4 CBs when going against such pass heavy offenses this season? Same could be said for safety with McBath or Robinson likely to be inactive but the same counter argument applies and when Fangio has blatantly said he is not happy with his backup safeties he will rather have as many as possible incase Goldson or Whitner go down.
I would agree DL we probably don't need 7 of them but like I said with Sopoaga and RJF being FAs next year I wouldn't get rid of Williams. We will likely keep 1 do to the cap and Williams will be the backup. Like sfout said we will be seeing a lot of heavy pass attacks so I can see why they are keeping an extra DB/S. To me to start off the season we least need Celek who if we are just looking for a blocking TE Dobbs if healthy would be that guy. Celek can catch a bit as well but I think if we were looking for a receiving TE we would have went Reuland. Good chance if we want Celek back later on he would still be available if we put him on the PS
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Naturally a position of overt strength would be the one to suffer before we take away from a position of weakness. If any particular player is to be cut its going to be Williams because his absence would not be noticed nearly as much because he plays behind 3 incredibly skilled players in Smith, Sopoaga, MacDonald, and a solid backup of RJF, then Tukuafu and Dobbs.

One could make an argument for Brock or McBath but can we really afford to only carry 4 CBs when going against such pass heavy offenses this season? Same could be said for safety with McBath or Robinson likely to be inactive but the same counter argument applies and when Fangio has blatantly said he is not happy with his backup safeties he will rather have as many as possible incase Goldson or Whitner go down.
Exactly I've been saying the same thing. The D-line, in particular Williams or Dobbs, is about the only place where I see room being made. Outside of that RB, in whitch case Jacobs would seem the likely candidate out. But I think D-line is were room will come from.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Exactly I've been saying the same thing. The D-line, in particular Williams or Dobbs, is about the only place where I see room being made. Outside of that RB, in whitch case Jacobs would seem the likely candidate out. But I think D-line is were room will come from.

yep to further elaborate on your point, I think Williams becomes #1 candidate for release because he is just a true NT right now, he has shown progress to be a DT but at the moment Dobbs is more valuable as contributor on ST as well as the ability to play DT/OLB/TE/FB - We've already seen our ST ACE in Colin Jones get shipped out because he didnt offer anything from a defensive standpoint so seeing Williams go(hopefully to the PS) would not shock me one bit.

To your second example - Jacobs would seem like a potential casualty but if his preseason play is any indication of how his camp went and where he is currently at in terms of both mental and physical health then I would definitely push for Jacobs to stay. IMHO Celek is the #2 most viable release candidate because he is behind VD, Walker, and even Dobbs from an experience standpoint. I would also like to see him land on PS if we had to release him but we will see what happens.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM ]

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Dude gonna get suspended 3 games don't know how this move helps in the short term.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Dude gonna get suspended 3 games don't know how this move helps in the short term.

if he is going to be suspended I would rather we just sign someone else.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by susweel:

if he is going to be suspended I would rather we just sign someone else.

He's insurance for next Sunday. Word is that he's trying to get the punishment reduced or removed and that it won't take effect until after the game because of that.
Yeah, if Haralson can't go maybe he is just for this game and then we bring back whoever we cut.

Williams is the only guy on the bubble that plays only one position NT and does not play special teams. That would be my guess as to why he would get cut.
Share 49ersWebzone