Niners to sign Clark Haggans

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Please please please cut Haralson!!!!

I'd be on board if we weren't so thin at the position.

All Haralson does is play well against the run. He can not rush the passer at all
But we are too thin at OLB, youre right

I actually get pissed at him when he plays the run, too. He gets caught peeking inside on outside runs WAY too often.
lets not taking this signing as something it is not,... this guy is not haralsons replacement for goodness sake. this place is funny. We sign someone like this guy and all of a sudden the flood gates open and now we think we can get rid of someone in that same position. pretty amusing leap, we got lucky with three backers last year, coaches did not want to tempt fate, they drafted two rookies, they got hurt, we go to plan b and sign a more than respectable vetern. this signing does not mean we will or should get rid of haralson. good lord. i am shocked i have not heard manny lawnson name come up here
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
He's just hella old
Originally posted by SFrush:
I think we are fine. Davis will backup G and T, either directly or indirectly. G goes down, Davis goes in. T goes down, Boone goes to T, Davis to G. Another T goes down, Davis goes to T, Kilgore goes to G. Remember, both Davis and Kilgore will be active on gameday. Additionally, Davis played T for his first few seasons in the league. He's probably not quick enough to be a starter at tackle, but he's good enough as a 3rd stringer.

I think the last time Leonard Davis played tackle was in 05 or 06. I know it's been a while.

BW always used to say, "If a player has played at a high level before, he can do it again." Remember 2 OTs would have to go down at the same time for him to play T. That's a bad situation for any team. I'd probably trust him (3+ seasons starting at T before transitioning to ProBowl G) over Person (0 games started, total).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toeshawn:
He's just hella old

he must have been the best of the bunch out there. sucks the two kids got hurt but at least we have a staff that does not mess around and goes right to plan b. i appreciate that. plus he will not be a every down player.
Sorry haters. All the young pro bowl caliber OLBs appear to be under contract.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GEEK:
Good vet signing.

The guy has 3-4 OLB experience, proven track record of production - especially last season, and can provide some insights on the Cardinals D to our team.

Haggins isn't expected to start. So I don't understand why people are hating on this signing.

Ninertalk
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Please please please cut Haralson!!!!

I'd be on board if we weren't so thin at the position.

All Haralson does is play well against the run. He can not rush the passer at all
But we are too thin at OLB, youre right

I actually get pissed at him when he plays the run, too. He gets caught peeking inside on outside runs WAY too often.
lets not taking this signing as something it is not,... this guy is not haralsons replacement for goodness sake. this place is funny. We sign someone like this guy and all of a sudden the flood gates open and now we think we can get rid of someone in that same position. pretty amusing leap, we got lucky with three backers last year, coaches did not want to tempt fate, they drafted two rookies, they got hurt, we go to plan b and sign a more than respectable vetern. this signing does not mean we will or should get rid of haralson. good lord. i am shocked i have not heard manny lawnson name come up here

I think it is just speculation that is based on the timing and circumstances surrounding Haralson's absence, ie: no one saw/remembered the injury, no media speculation about the injury, same time last year they renegotiated Ginn's contract, some reporter suggests he's out to protect trade secrets. I haven't liked Haralson for some time, but that is as a starter. If Hagans is just inactive depth, great. We probably needed that. If his presence gets Haralson to renegotiate his deal, even better. If the coaches decide that Hagans's presence and Dobbs's versatility make Haralson (after refusing to renegotiate) obsolete, I would be fine w/that, too.
Someone tweeted that we signed him....but who did we release? no link yet.

CGin49ers #49ers sign OLB Clark Haggans 2 hours ago

who is that guy...it seems now a days anyone can be considered a reporter.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM ]
I don't like it. I believe they could find someone better.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

that is actually a picture of susweet. the man wears alot of hats, poster, reporter, reciever of inside information, cat lover,editor of the alex , crabs and kyle sux newsletters and squirter of lotion on luvs back
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
I don't like it. I believe they could find someone better.

like who., they probably knew this was going to happen, they did thier work and this was probably the best of the bunch. aside from his age, what is to hate,, sounds like he is more than a respectable backup
barrows said they put a waiver claim on an olb jamal westerman, who was not adapting well to dolphins 4-3 scheme (after being a starter in a 3-4) and looked at a chavis williams (never heard of him)
that is actually a picture of susweet. the man wears alot of hats, poster, reporter, reciever of inside information, cat lover,editor of the alex , crabs and kyle sux newsletters and squirter of lotion on luvs back

lol
Originally posted by Afrikan:

• sfout
  • Veteran
To those bagging on this probable signing I refer you to the other remaining veteran FA OLBs according to walterfootball

According to the WF these are the remaining veteran OLBs ranked from best to worst. Its WF, not exactly the bible when it comes to personel decisions but according to them we put in a claim on the 3rd best option and are now reportedly signing the 4th best option. Clearly our FO strangely has a similar line of thought regarding the possible veteran acquisitions out there.

Brady Poppinga, OLB, Rams. Age: 32.
Ernie Sims, OLB, Colts. Age: 27.
Jamaal Westerman (RFA), DE/OLB, Jets. Age: 27. - claimed by AZ due to draft positiioning
Clark Haggans, DE/OLB, Cardinals. Age: 35. - reportedly being signed by us in the near future
Travis LaBoy, DE/OLB, Chargers. Age: 31.
David Vobora, OLB, Seahawks. Age: 26.
Isaiah Ekejiuba, OLB, Lions. Age: 30.
Joey Porter, DE/OLB, Cardinals. Age: 35.
Omar Gaither, OLB, Panthers. Age: 28.
Xavier Adibi, OLB, Vikings. Age: 27.
Patrick Bailey, OLB, Titans. Age: 26.
Edgar Jones, DE/OLB, Ravens. Age: 27.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home