LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by iwasright73:
Well, I do agree that if stellar niner D can not put pressure on AR and the Packers strike quickly through the air and go up a couple of scores early, then the niners will have trouble keeping up given JH's persistent run-first system. Even if JH does open up the passing game and tries to play catch up, it hasn't looked all that great in preseason as every qb has consistently overthrown WRs deep including our starting qb who has well-known problems with his accuracy downfield.

Originally posted by kush:
Predicting Stat Lines:

Alex Smith 15-15 459 yards 6 TDs
Frank Gore 15 carries 145 yards 3 TDs
Kendall Hunter 10 carries 88 yards 2 TDs, 1 FG
Michael Crabtree 6 catches 180 yards 2 TDs
VD 4 catches 154 yards 1 TD
RANDY 2 catches 200 yards 2TDs, 2 full moons for the packer fans
AJJ 3 catches 69 yards 1 TD

BOOK IT

lol that would be a score of 122 haha
Eat up the clock on offense.

Keep hitting Rodgers all day - and hitting him hard.

A few gimmick plays.

We also need to get an early lead and have them play catch-up.
lol @ debbie downer....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
1. Improve redzone. Score Tds.

2. Stay away from Tramon Williams attack 2nd cb.

3. Prevent the huge play. Give up some yards between the 20s but avoid the huge chunk plays to Jennings and Nelson.

4. KNow where Charles Woodson is at all times. He's great at blitzing, causing fumbles , tricking qbs.

5. Try to get Aj hawk matched up with a rb or delanie walker and attack.

6. Rush your lanes and don't let Rodgers scramble on 3rd downs.

7. Aldon Smith on Marshall Newhouse is our biggest mismatch and should create enough pressure to slow Rodgers a little.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Welcome to the Zone.

This is probably the niners toughest game of the year and I can see it going either way. One thing going against the Packers is that it's so early in the season, their offense and passing attack isn't going to be as fluid as it would be after a few games, it's going to be a bit sluggish and that plays right onto the hands of the niners who have the best front 7 in all of football. From what I saw in the preseason games the Packers offense had a bit of rust on it that hasn't been cleared yet.

Make no mistake, the Packers will try to run but it won't work, and will turn to airing it out the rest of the game. The 49ers had a historically good rush defense last year and everyone is back on D with a full offseason with the system unlike last year, and they are going to be fresh. Defenses usually solidify before offenses do so it's likely they will have a slight leg up on the Packers O.

That said, if the Packers do hit their stride with the pass, they are capable of doing a lot of damage, Rodgers IMHO is the best passer in the NFL and so dangerous. If the 49ers had a weakness last year it was in pass defense, but it could be said that was because teams simply gave up on the run. Last year teams threw for alot of yards, but scored few points (niners missed #1 in fewest PPG allowed by .1 points to the Steelers lol). Classic bend but don't break.

As for what to look for from the niners offense, well, honestly I think most 49er fans are waiting to see what Harbaugh and Greg Roman has cooked up in the offseason with all the things they've added and their first real offseason and training camp. They also have showed nothing of what they are going to do with the first team offense in the preseason.

I really can't make a prediction on this game because every year is different and teams change, either team has a very good chance of winning and honestly I am very nervous about it, the Packers are no joke and like the 49ers, they are going to be pissed off after losing at home what they thought should be a super bowl season to the f**king 9-7 Giants. But I do know this, it's going to be a good game.

Well said, gonna be a great game and I'm so glad that football is starting soon been a long off season after the disappointing loss against the Giants. Green Bay gonna be a tough place to get a W, home field advantage helps, that said I think we have the advantage with the better over all Defense and should be a new team with all the additions on Offense as well, which should only help keep our D fresh and hopefully healthy throughout the season. 17-9 Niners
Originally posted by BayArea:
lol that would be a score of 122 haha

Thats 77. 6 passing TD 5 rushing = 11 x 7 = 77 Highly unlikely but i'd likely lose my mind with excitment if it happened.
The important thing is to stick to the Niners gameplan, which is to eat up clock with the physical running game, take away the long ball from Rodgers, force them to keep passing short try to run. We were able to get a pass rush using just our front 3 guys because Justin Smith is Justin Smith. If we try to get in a shoot out, neither or our offense or defense is well-suited for that kind of quick strike game, and it will play into the Packers strengths. They want to put the game in the air and create a reckless turnover-type of game. Hopefully we can stick with our style on the road. A good rushing attack will also serve us well on the road. If we go up early, the crowd will quiet down a bit.
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
Thats 77. 6 passing TD 5 rushing = 11 x 7 = 77 Highly unlikely but i'd likely lose my mind with excitment if it happened.

Oh I must have counted Alex's TDs on top of the TDs counted to the receivers he threw to.

Originally posted by aaronitout:
Once again, I would like to point out, that the Packers had the 2nd highest scoring offense in NFL history last year, and they were easily the most unbalanced offense in the league. They have added a RB coming off 3 straight 1000 yard seasons as well.
The NFL is different then 20 years ago...the run is no longer a must if you can effectively use the short pass to set up the rest of the passing game.

Stacking the box will effectively take away the 49ers key to victory (ball control) if Alex is forced into a duel with Aaron Rodgers, against the most oppurtunistic defense in the league no less, he will have to play at a level in which he has never played in the pros.

Please watch the highlights of the 49ers big comeback against crapadelphia eagles last season where we overcame 3 touchdowns in 1 half. We did NOT abandon the run, and Im positive the Eagles D is not much worse than the Packers is. You obviously dont know much about our team, but all of us 49er fans know for a fact and are TELLING YOU, that the 49ers never shy away from the run no matter what, and we are also telling you that you cannot run the score up on us. Absolutely cannot, we have the capacity to strike back whenever needed, but we will get ahead early, and keep it that way.
Originally posted by natrone06:
1. Improve redzone. Score Tds.

2. Stay away from Tramon Williams attack 2nd cb.

3. Prevent the huge play. Give up some yards between the 20s but avoid the huge chunk plays to Jennings and Nelson.

4. KNow where Charles Woodson is at all times. He's great at blitzing, causing fumbles , tricking qbs.

5. Try to get Aj hawk matched up with a rb or delanie walker and attack.

6. Rush your lanes and don't let Rodgers scramble on 3rd downs.

7. Aldon Smith on Marshall Newhouse is our biggest mismatch and should create enough pressure to slow Rodgers a little.

Good breakdown.
Once again, I would like to point out, that the Packers had the 2nd highest scoring offense in NFL history last year, and they were easily the most unbalanced offense in the league. They have added a RB coming off 3 straight 1000 yard seasons as well.
The NFL is different then 20 years ago...the run is no longer a must if you can effectively use the short pass to set up the rest of the passing game.

Stacking the box will effectively take away the 49ers key to victory (ball control) if Alex is forced into a duel with Aaron Rodgers, against the most oppurtunistic defense in the league no less, he will have to play at a level in which he has never played in the pros.

I guess you missed the Saints playoff game in the divisional round, understandable since you probably were still stunned by the ass whooping the Giants were putting on your elite QB. By the way, it will not be Smith vs. Rodgers, it will be Smith vs. the 31st ranked defense from last year and Rodgers against the best D in the league last year.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I guess you missed the Saints playoff game in the divisional round, understandable since you probably were still stunned by the ass whooping the Giants were putting on your elite QB. By the way, it will not be Smith vs. Rodgers, it will be Smith vs. the 31st ranked defense from last year and Rodgers against the best D in the league last year.

LOL!!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

POTD.
Share 49ersWebzone